2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

11 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Can't believe they're doing this over a guy who is not even close to a sure thing. 

Glorious. Smart teams will try and float guys down now with big league contracts soon after the standard deal. 

Instead of #paybadlyforAdley it's #paymadlyforAdley. (Tip your servers I'll be here all week.)

26 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Glorious. Smart teams will try and float guys down now with big league contracts soon after the standard deal. 

Instead of #paybadlyforAdley it's #paymadlyforAdley. (Tip your servers I'll be here all week.)

Apparently, it's not actually waiving a rule because he's already signed a deal, but the A's barely will pay for actual MLB players... they're really about to cave in to Murray's demands when he's years away?

2 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Apparently, it's not actually waiving a rule because he's already signed a deal, but the A's barely will pay for actual MLB players... they're really about to cave in to Murray's demands when he's years away?

Seems similar to signing a Cuban player, like they did my Cespedes. 

13 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

I mean this was the exact same thing that came up with Ohtani. You wink wink the MLB deal while you sign the MiLB deal.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean this was the exact same thing that came up with Ohtani. You wink wink the MLB deal while you sign the MiLB deal.

Yeah, I don't like the precedent this could set for future two-sport guys.  But at least it's going to hopefully get more talent to baseball, so that's a plus.

Just now, hrubes20 said:

Yeah, I don't like the precedent this could set for future two-sport guys.  But at least it's going to hopefully get more talent to baseball, so that's a plus.

Oh I love this precedent because draft pools are dumb. But if you're an owner you got a CBA that's going to incite a riot by the time it expires for these draft pools, so I have no idea why Kylar Murray justifies getting rid of all of that.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Oh I love this precedent because draft pools are dumb. But if you're an owner you got a CBA that's going to incite a riot by the time it expires for these draft pools, so I have no idea why Kylar Murray justifies getting rid of all of that.

As a fan of a team that would spend huge on amateurs every year if they could, the precedent is terrific.  But as you mentioned, this could serve to create even more angst in CBA relations and the game just doesn't need that.  

3 hours ago, tom cody said:

Wonder who this mystery team is on Machado. I wonder if that's where he ends up signing. 

Part of me is hoping Baltimore might be trying to bring him back- all of the cloak and dagger stuff in regards to not being mentioned makes sense, as this is how the sons have operated since taking over (they kept everyone in the dark about the GM process and candidates, and Elias did the same thing before deciding on a manager.) . However, it's not like the Orioles retain part of any core from last year, and have 2-3 more seasons before any kind of defined core will be present at the major league level, so it makes no sense to spend money on Machado even if you loved the player.  He would have to love Baltimore enough to want to endure almost half of his contract being a rebuild.  

The other part of me things this is a smokescreen ploy.  Teams are going to their "option b" in hopes of driving the price down on Machado and Harper right now (and they are also doing the same in regards to the Marlins asking price for Realmuto.) 

Archived