2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

12 hours ago, beekay414 said:

The Player's Union is trying to get the DH position for the NL THIS year. Nuts.

The MLB wants a 3-batter minimum rule for starting pitchers and they want to reduce mound visits to 4 this year and then 3 in 2020. Wut.

EDIT - It's not just starting pitchers...it's all pitchers. 

Manfred sucks.

1.  I'm on board with both leagues having the same rules.  I would prefer no DH at all, but since it's not going anywhere, bring it to the NL.  1 week before pitchers and catchers report may be a bit too soon, though.

2.  I like the rule in theory, but there will have to be some careful crafting of it.  What about player injury and follow-up to prevent teams from faking injury so that they can get a LOOGY in there to face Bryce Harper?  You can't mandate a DL stint, otherwise it would encourage managers (and maybe players) to keep pitching through an injury and risk further damage.  Maybe make a new 5 day DL that the pitcher has to be placed on if the injury isn't serious enough to warrant a 10 day stint?  Like I said, I like the idea that we wouldn't see 3 pitchers face 3 hitters in one inning or an "opener" to face the first hitter of a game and then be done.  But this needs to be done right.

Lots of other proposes rule changes as well.  Eliminate/Greatly Reduce any defensive shifting.  Fewer mound visits.  Expand rosters to 26.  Drop September rosters to 28 (I think).  Pitch clock. 

On 2019-01-28 at 7:58 PM, mission27 said:

709wjd4xd7d21.png

Who you got?

Barry Bonds ($5)

Mike Trout ($5)

ARod ($5)

Mike Piazza ($4)

Edgar Martinez ($3)

Wade Boggs ($3)

Chase Utley ($3)

Pedro Martinez ($2)

Mark McGwire ($1)

Garry Sheffield ($1)

Craig Kimbrel ($1)

Bonds, Griffey, Sheffield, Ozzie, Alomar, Boggs, Bagwell, Pedro, Mo, Molitor and Mauer 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I have no idea what the Giants are doing at this point. 

If the market for Harper is stupid to the point that only 3 teams want him, they should evaluate it. If he's a $50M bargain over the life of the deal, it's a good deal 3 years from now when you're good again.

23 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If the market for Harper is stupid to the point that only 3 teams want him, they should evaluate it. If he's a $50M bargain over the life of the deal, it's a good deal 3 years from now when you're good again.

Or just sign the guy and trade him in 3 months when someone needs a bat

On 2/6/2019 at 1:07 AM, beekay414 said:

The Player's Union is trying to get the DH position for the NL THIS year. Nuts.

This makes no sense. The last thing the MLBPA should want is the DH. It hurts more of their membership. Teams won't all of a sudden start paying more money in total because of the DH, they will simply allocate more of it to that player. That money will come out of the pocket of bench players (who won't be needed as often) and middle relievers. All to help 15 players. It could easily hurt 5x that amount. 

And not enough pitchers get injured batting or running bases for that to change the calculus. 

There can be an argument about it being more exciting and good for the game, but frankly the union shouldn't care about that unless they think revenue will get so much higher with the change that everyone will benefit (and it won't). The union should care about conditions of employment and salary. This hurts the salary of more players than it helps.

28 minutes ago, mse326 said:

This makes no sense. The last thing the MLBPA should want is the DH. It hurts more of their membership. Teams won't all of a sudden start paying more money in total because of the DH, they will simply allocate more of it to that player. That money will come out of the pocket of bench players (who won't be needed as often) and middle relievers. All to help 15 players. It could easily hurt 5x that amount. 

And not enough pitchers get injured batting or running bases for that to change the calculus. 

There can be an argument about it being more exciting and good for the game, but frankly the union shouldn't care about that unless they think revenue will get so much higher with the change that everyone will benefit (and it won't). The union should care about conditions of employment and salary. This hurts the salary of more players than it helps.

Rob the fleas to pay the CS whats not to love

Archived