2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

5 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/corey-kluber-trade-becoming-less-likely/c-303376486?tid=282421090

MLB.com's Jon Morosi writes that the possibility of a Corey Kluber trade is "diminishing by the day."

For now, the Indians' projected starting outfield is some combination of Jordan Luplow, Tyler Naquin, Leonys Martin and Greg Allen.

Cheap ****s. 

On 1/28/2019 at 6:58 PM, mission27 said:

709wjd4xd7d21.png

I can't make fun without doing it myself. I'll put them down in the order I selected them, not by position.

LF - Barry Bonds - $5
CF - Mike Trout - $5
SS - Alex Rodriguez - $5
SP - Pedro Martinez - $2
CL - Craig Kimbrel - $1

Really can't see going any other way on these. The 3 best players of the last 30 years and no one in their position is enough of a bargain to justify not paying full price, your closer doesn't matter so you cheap out there, and the best starter of the group is the 2nd cheapest.

2B - Chase Utley - $3
RF - Mookie Betts - $3

I get the best 2B and best RF on each list (@ me) for $3 each. That feels like it's definitely worth it. But now I'm down to $9 for the remaining 4 spots.

1B - Mark McGwire - $1
3B - Wade Boggs - $3
DH - Edgar Martinez - $3
C - Joe Mauer - $2

McGwire isn't Pujols, but he's right up there with anybody else on that list and saves me some money. Boggs is probably the best 3B on the list (he definitely had the best peak), so that's worth the $3. Arenado is underrated and kind of temping, but the drop off is just too big when it only would take me from Mauer to Posey. With $5 for the last 2 spots, it basically came down to Posey/Molitor versus Martinez/Mauer and I went the latter. Molitor just didn't hit enough. 

C is pretty much the only position here I don't feel great with. If I had a few more dollars, that'd be the next place I'd splurge. Otherwise, you're pretty much able to go position by position and get either the best player, or arguably the best player except for closer and that doesn't matter.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:58 PM, mission27 said:

709wjd4xd7d21.png

SP - Pedro ($2)
C - Joe Mauer ($2)
1B - Albert Pujols ($5)
2B - Chase Utley ($3)
3B - Scott Rolen ($1)
SS - Cal Ripken Jr. ($4)
LF - Barry Bonds ($5)
CF - Mike Trout ($5)
RF - Larry Walker ($2)
DH - Edgar Martinez ($3)
CL - Craig Kimbrel ($1)

I think defense gets underrated. All these guys not only hit a ton but play great defense too. Hardest to leave off was ARod. Considered him with Bagwell at 1B and then spend the extra money elsewhere, but ultimately felt the difference between Arod and Ripken is less than Pujols to Bagwell.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:58 PM, mission27 said:

709wjd4xd7d21.png

Who you got?

Barry Bonds ($5)

Mike Trout ($5)

ARod ($5)

Mike Piazza ($4)

Edgar Martinez ($3)

Wade Boggs ($3)

Chase Utley ($3)

Pedro Martinez ($2)

Mark McGwire ($1)