5th Down Depreciation Thread

MacReady

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I would argue that Finley and KGBs opinions are easily validated by observation.

Our observations are exceedingly limited, often incorrect, full of projections and a function of what gets reported - which is tainted by the click-bait nature of modern journalism.  We really don't know what's actually going on because we're not inside the building. And you yourself once said:

"I can't believe anybody takes seriously what a player/coach says in front of a microphone"

I think that applies here. What we think we observe and what's really going on are quite often 2 very different things - 

The linked article references Mike Florio of PFT, Bill Michaels radio show and Jermichael Finley. That's 0-3 on the credibility meter. Our own observations often aren't much better -  due to the limitations of not being inside that locker room on a daily basis. The last time Finley was in the locker room was 6 years ago, KGB more than 10 years. Jennings hasn't been there since 2012. 
Ask yourself: Given their lack of current knowledge, why are they the go - to guys for this particular article ? 
Why not ask AVP or Tom Clements or Joe Philbin for their opinions on the coachability of AR ?
They actually coached him.
Their answers would likely be 180 degrees different from these guys, but that doesn't support the premise of the article, so they aren't quoted 

db451cc550126738b8f31033ede9591fbfe31aaf

• Like 1

K.  So, I'm a Favre guy.  Always will be.  Much love for Aaron, too, but Favre still has me.

That being said...as far as KGB goes, he talked about Favre being "humble".  Probably true in many regards.  But....didn't he have his own locker room?  Wasn't he constantly talking about retiring?  Seems like KGB has conveniently forgotten a lot of the Favre diva like things that he did towards the end.

Much like Favre got a second chance with McCarthy, so too will Aaron now.  He's just gotta make the best of it, kind of like Favre did.  Much of this criticism Aaron has brought upon himself.  And...true to form, he is the one that can make it go away.  Time will tell.  I have a feeling he is going to be just fine.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

That being said...as far as KGB goes, he talked about Favre being "humble".  Probably true in many regards.  But....didn't he have his own locker room? 

Indeed.
You can write any article you like and spin it any way you like. If you want to write a hit piece, Jennings and Finley are your go- to guys. If you want to write a different piece, then you interview his former coaches, team mates who have a different opinion.

Favre was humble and self-effacing.... and was also totally self-absorbed and egotistical. The reader chooses which ever side of the coin they believe in.
Rodgers is coachable, Rodgers isn't coachable. Both are true on some level
What's interesting is how us fans will happily disregard some info while giving full credence to others. The Truth usually resides somewhere in between
But that doesn't generate clicks and views....and ad revenue.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

K.  So, I'm a Favre guy.  Always will be.  Much love for Aaron, too, but Favre still has me.

That being said...as far as KGB goes, he talked about Favre being "humble".  Probably true in many regards.  But....didn't he have his own locker room?  Wasn't he constantly talking about retiring?  Seems like KGB has conveniently forgotten a lot of the Favre diva like things that he did towards the end.

Much like Favre got a second chance with McCarthy, so too will Aaron now.  He's just gotta make the best of it, kind of like Favre did.  Much of this criticism Aaron has brought upon himself.  And...true to form, he is the one that can make it go away.  Time will tell.  I have a feeling he is going to be just fine.

Yes, Favre was a huge diva at the end of his Packer career.  The constant drama and attention whoring.  Time heals all wounds and people want to remember it 'better than it was'.  Can you imagine the outcry if ARodg sent out **** pix?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Yes, Favre was a huge diva at the end of his Packer career.  The constant drama and attention whoring.  Time heals all wounds and people want to remember it 'better than it was'.  Can you imagine the outcry if ARodg sent out **** pix?

Not sure if a Youtube video link is frowned upon to post here, if so feel free to have it removed. But for anyone who hasn't seen this video you have to give it a watch. I remember it coming out years ago and watching it over and over again laughing harder each time. Time heals all wounds, and even though Favre has returned to the level I once loved him, I think I have gotten over most of the hatred I once felt about his betrayal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Our observations are exceedingly limited, often incorrect, full of projections and a function of what gets reported - which is tainted by the click-bait nature of modern journalism.  We really don't know what's actually going on because we're not inside the building. And you yourself once said:

"I can't believe anybody takes seriously what a player/coach says in front of a microphone"

I think that applies here. What we think we observe and what's really going on are quite often 2 very different things - 

The linked article references Mike Florio of PFT, Bill Michaels radio show and Jermichael Finley. That's 0-3 on the credibility meter. Our own observations often aren't much better -  due to the limitations of not being inside that locker room on a daily basis. The last time Finley was in the locker room was 6 years ago, KGB more than 10 years. Jennings hasn't been there since 2012. 
Ask yourself: Given their lack of current knowledge, why are they the go - to guys for this particular article ? 
Why not ask AVP or Tom Clements or Joe Philbin for their opinions on the coachability of AR ?
Their answers would likely be 180 degrees different from these guys, but that doesn't support the premise of the article, so they aren't quoted 

I would argue you ask the players for the same reason you'd ask a worker about the work environment. They know the conditions better from first hand experience.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Indeed.
You can write any article you like and spin it any way you like. If you want to write a hit piece, Jennings and Finley are your go- to guys. If you want to write a different piece, then you interview his former coaches, team mates who have a different opinion.

Favre was humble and self-effacing.... and was also totally self-absorbed and egotistical. The reader chooses which ever side of the coin they believe in.
Rodgers is coachable, Rodgers isn't coachable. Both are true on some level
What's interesting is how us fans will happily disregard some info while giving full credence to others. The Truth usually resides somewhere in between
But that doesn't generate clicks and views....and ad revenue.

+1 @Shanedorf All too many internet opinions are initiated by nothing more than a gut feeling................. and then facts that support that are chosen over ones that don't fit into one's prejudices.

These forums are pretty decent, because when the sillier presumptions hit the eyeballs of many of the better posters here, they go off and find X and O play diagrams/stats/quotes/articles that challenge the original posters muddy thinking. There are many sites that are far more forgiving of bias, than this one.

19 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

It's coming thick and fast. I hope this grows the chip back again on  Rodgers shoulder.

Why anyone would waste their valuable time with that show and Skip Clueless is beyond me. Skippy has been a hater for years.  Jennings nose is out of joint but he never did squat without AR so I don't put much stock into what he has to say when it comes to his analysis of Rodgers.

I don't think AR is this uncoachable diva that so many suggest.  Rodgers might come across as arrogant but  you aren't considered for the NFL Man of the Year Award by being a jerk.   He uses his celebrity to raise money for worthy causes like the Salvation Army and the MACC Fund. He put his money where his mouth is by raising money for the CA wildfire victims.  Every year we are in the playoffs he is voted as a captain so his teammates must like him and appreciate his leadership.  Favre wasn't a boy scout either.  When things rarely go south for NE Brady's body language isn't all that wonderful either.

Edited by Pugger

40 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

It's coming thick and fast. I hope this grows the chip back again on  Rodgers shoulder.

GJ85 used to be one of my favorite Packers but man he really turned into a guy who HATES Aaron Rodgers and the Packers after they didn't pay him.  Turns out Green Bay was right as he was washed out of the NFL shortly after Minnesota foolishly gave him that contract. 

It's funny that Jeff Janis can't make a roster in the league and he wants to put his limitations on Aaron Rodgers shoulders.  It's no surprised that he quickly washed out of the NFL with weak attitude like that.  Losers blame others for their issues instead of taking accountability for them.

Edited by SSG
  • Like 3

Seriously though, what receiver on the Packers since Rodgers took the helm didn't earn his trust that was a good receiver? Name 1. One of the only guys whom has came out and cried about being chewed out is Jeff freaking Janis and he was cut by the the Brownies before the season. 

Edited by Gopackgonerd

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Not buying this argument. I think it's pretty common knowledge that Rodgers is a perfectionist. He is also sensitive, and likes him some Aaron Rodgers. He's the type that wants to be challenged. He doesn't want to be the smartest guy in the room, but if he thinks he is - he's going to do things his way.

I've thought that all this was obvious years and years ago already. I don't know why we as fans would want to fight this image, I think it's well-earned and well established.

It doesn't mean he sucks or is an awful person, it's just acknowledging who he is and what he's like.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not buying this argument.

That's cool and if we do this right, we can get the squire12  "civil discourse" Seal of Approval !

Which argument aren't you buying ?

1) That a person's carefully - crafted public persona is often different than the real person ?
2) That a writer can choose any slant he wants and then find quotes to back it up ? ( with a strong lean toward getting clicks and views)

What you're calling common "knowledge" is really common "perceptions" - and more often than not those are two different things
We had a guy on here awhile back who claimed he could nail Rodgers' Myers-Briggs profile merely by watching his press conferences.
There isn't a professional psychologist who would make that claim without meeting and working directly with a client, but he could.

You've made some generalizations based on what AR or others said in front of a microphone - something that you yourself decried as foolish. 

The writer chose the quotes and quoters to support his angle, he could just as easily have chosen different quotes and gone in a completely different direction
At the end of the day, we really don't know. That's my argument.
I'd also posit that the more certain you are in your ability to make psychological assessments of people you've never met - 
the less qualified you are to make them.
( Note: I married a Psychologist and she's spent the better part of 20 years disavowing me of my illusions/delusions. :)  )

Is Aaron coachable ? The answer depends on who you ask and how you ask them.
Why did the writer specifically choose Finley / Jennings ? I think we can all agree on the answer to that one