Week 6 GDT: Browns vs. Team Formerly Known as San Diego

MistaBohmbastic

Weel 6 GDT: Browns vs. Team Formerly Known as San Diego  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

1 minute ago, bruceb said:

I like this, too.

Who doesn’t in theory?

But for every McVay there’s a dozen guys like McDaniels, McCoy, etc who aren’t great coaches.

McVay has been great, but he’s coaching a goddam stud.

Think back to what he looked like as a rookie for some perspective as well....  This league is rough on rookies more often than not.

Yeah, very bizarre game. Baker had pressure in his face all game, but was still a bit hesitant even when he had time. Doesn't help that his receivers couldn't get open and were dropping passes that they should have caught. Our offenses woes were a combination of bad pass protection, receivers' inability to create any separation and dropping easy passes, and Baker simply having his worst game as a pro so far. I'm sure him slipping and hurting himself only made matters worse, as he really became much more hesitant after that. Hopefully his injury won't linger and he'll be good to go next week. I do agree with Jarvis not seeming interested. There was a couple of passes that he dropped that I believe he could have made had he put in a bit more effort. Hopefully it's just an off week for him.

The defense is good in many facets but they are awful vs. the run. That's been a trend all season long, and the Chargers just happened to be the team to take advantage of that the most. Last week, Baltimore was very successful running on us but for some reason they decided to rely on the passing game a lot more. LA didn't make the same mistake. Hopefully Schobert won't be out long, because losing him is going to really hurt, I think.

Just a weird game overall. Besides the opening drive, the defense looked good in the first half but then seemed to completely give up in the second half. And the offense struggled all day. They'd make a big play but could never finish off drives strongly and we utterly failed to take advantage of the great field position we had multiple times in the first half.

Duke, Njoku, and Peppers on punt returns are about the only good things from today. Ratley had his moments too, but he had his rookie moments as well.

Like I said, hopefully this will be our worst game this season. And hopefully the team will take this as a learning experience and bounce back next week at Tampa.

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Finally saw video of the missed offsides... how the hell do the refs miss something that bad? What is this bull crap that the browns get crap officiated every freaking game. 

It's the league's plan.

Salve on the wound of the Chargers leaving San Diego and hype for them to help exploit the giant LA market.

Firmly believe that the NFL controls the outcomes of games through officials based on the better interests of the league.

The refs aren't out to get the Browns. They're just inept pieces of human garbage that can't get anything right ever. Their ineptitude has cost us in big moments, but referees are this bad in every game.

Fun fact: An extremely condescending referee told me this weekend that a kick returner is allowed to call for a fair catch, catch the ball, and run with it. And if the defense hits him, it's a penalty, even though he didn't blow the play dead. "You obviously don't know the rules, coach," he replied with a smirk. I thought about beating him to death with a tack hammer right then and there, but decided to berate him for 3 quarters instead. It's called enticing you silly biznitch and I hope your car flies off the road into a ditch, dweeb.

Mayfield was bad today. He took way too many unnecessary sacks. Oh, and our WR's were bad today. Nobody was getting open, but that's no excuse for taking sacks. Taking sacks unnecessarily is my biggest pet peeve. It's so easy to flick the ball out of your hands when you're in trouble....mind-numbingly stupidity to not get it away faster.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Mayfield was bad today. He took way too many unnecessary sacks. Oh, and our WR's were bad today. Nobody was getting open, but that's no excuse for taking sacks. Taking sacks unnecessarily is my biggest pet peeve. It's so easy to flick the ball out of your hands when you're in trouble....mind-numbingly stupidity to not get it away faster.

Combination of Haley/Hueball not calling quick-hitting (vs. vertical) plays and Mayfield not looking for guys open underneath.

And Mayfield not knowing when to get rid of the ball.

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Combination of Haley/Hueball not calling quick-hitting (vs. vertical) plays and Mayfield not looking for guys open underneath.

And Mayfield not knowing when to get rid of the ball.

The problem is that San Diego played in your face man coverage for most of the game, which meant we were not able to get short stuff off. They challenged our WR's to seperate in the intermediate/deep game and we couldn't do it. The OL wasn't even that bad today. They gave up a lot of coverage-based sacks and did a great job of forcing Mayfield to step up into the pocket, where they had a spy waiting to bring him down. They schemed a great game against our offense with the knowledge of how bad our WR group was going to be.

Archived