Week 6 GDT: Browns vs. Team Formerly Known as San Diego

MistaBohmbastic

Weel 6 GDT: Browns vs. Team Formerly Known as San Diego  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who ya got

15 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

True, but that is the case with every team in the NFL. Your best DE is usually miles ahead of your 3rd best DE especially for the teams with a guy as talented as Myles Garrett.

The fact is Gregg Williams does a piss poor job of rotating his defense. We have Myles Garrett and Larry Ogunjobi playing over 92 and 88% of the snaps this season and since his return from injury Emmanuel Ogbah is playing over 85% of the snaps. That is 3 plays on the defensive line that are effectively never coming out. That is garbage. Anyone who has ever played or coach DL will tell you a 100% DLineman for 70% of the snaps is better than a 70% Dlineman for 100% of the time.

It is time for Anthony Zettle, Carl Davis, and especially Chad Thomas to start getting reps. If you aren't going to play them then they aren't worth being on the 53 man roster so cut them to sign some WRs bc lord knows when need those right now. Chad Thomas hasn't taken a single snap since Oakland. Sorry it is time to play the kid or admit you screwed up and send him packing. 

Chris Smith was playing 65% of the snaps before Emmanuel Ogbah returned and has since fallen into the since digit snap counts. If he was good enough to play 65% of the snaps before he is still good enough to play that about now while giving Garrett and Ogbah a blow. He is most certainly good enough to play at least 65% of Ogbah's role considering Chris Smith was out playing him. He was no world beater but Chris Smith was playing at a much higher level than Ogbah is playing right now.

Another guy who has seen his snap counts fall considerably for 3 straight weeks now is Genard Avery. Again if these guys were good enough to play before Ogbah returned they are good enough to play now and again these guys have both out played Ogbah all pre season and during his injured spell. 

The reality is Gregg Williams does a terrible job rotating because he is either a) incompetent or b) has serious trust issue which I believe in the latter based on how he completely changed his coverage plans with the corners available.

Great post.

I get our depth isn’t great, but Avery can handle more snaps at DE, as can Smith. Chad Thomas should at least be making the occasional appearance or shouldn’t be on the roster.

Ogbah is definitely a huge disappointment. I wasn't sure if he'd take the step from being a good starter to a very good/great starter, but if anything, it seems like he's regressed a bit. Still a solid player, no doubt, but DE is definitely a need unless they decide to give Avery more playing time there.

I'd say, right now, our biggest needs are #1 WR and DT. We're getting murdered by the run on defense. But we had to get rid of Shelton because he "didn't fit" what Williams wants to do defensively. Ogunjobi is good, but Coley is average at best. Coley probably should be a rotational lineman, not a starter.

Callaway needs to address his issues with drops, but it's clear to anyone that the dude is talented. Ratley looked promising yesterday but is far from a sure thing. Higgins is a solid to good #3 type of receiver. What we need is a legit go-to receiver. If we can do that, our entire group of receivers would look better. We have some solid to good receivers, but none of them are legit #1 options. Get a #1 option, and things will open up more for the rest of our receivers.

I thinkHubbard has been fine for most of the season, but he definitely looked very bad yesterday. Hopefully this won't be a need next year, but it very well could be. Oh well, it's better to have to find a new RT than it is to find a new LT.

Ogbah has clearly taken a step back this year. I was one of several who were defending him this offseason as a solid #2 to Myles Garrett. Well after 6 weeks he has not taken a step forward in his game. It was clearly been a step backward for him. Year 3 is always the make or break year for evaluation and you can no longer trust Ogbah to develop much further. If he does it is a bonus but we cannot sit on our hands at DE any longer.

@TheeRealDeal I agree with your post about rotating guys in. Something needs to be done, but this just speaks to our need for more talented pass rushers. The great defensive fronts don't just rotate average DE's in, they're bringing in some playmakers who could be starting for other teams. We need that moving forward. It probably cannot be alleviated this season, but I expect it to be addressed in the offseason

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Not gonna lie, it wasn’t just him yesterday.  

I saw a lot of what appeared to be “professional efforts”, not dudes playing with heart and aggression.

I guess I get it when you’re 0-5, but not 2-2-1.

That is a nice block in the back/club to the head by the LT but what a surprise the Browns get another no call. 

19 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Now they HAVE to bring in another WR via either by trade or FA.

WR Rod Streater done for the season.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-wr-rod-streater-out-for-season-derrick-willies-undergoes-surgery?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

sucks to see anyone go down with a broken neck. Hopefully he is ok. Wonder who the browns bring in to replace him

After watching a big chunk of the game again, two big things stuck out to me.

1. Effort - This one is on the players mainly. There were multiple Baker sacks where the initial route was covered, he bought time, and the receivers just stood where they were instead of finding grass. The defensive effort was bad too for the most part. I'd put the drops in here too.

2. Coaching - We got our butts handed to us not only in effort, but also in scheme decisions and ability to adjust on the fly. I pointed out when Mitchell went down against Oakland that Gregg has NO idea how to adjust mid game. His #2 CB went down and he switched to prevent for pretty much the rest of the game (when the D has been doing well to that point). The Haley/Hue offense is weird as heck too, as they seem to be sticking to the "at least two go routes per play" strategy of old despite not really having the personnel for it. And they seem to be intentionally avoiding scheming touches for our most threatening players.

There were other bad points too. Baker's worst game so far for sure. Garrett pretty quiet again. Etc. But those two stuck out to me like a sore thumb.

51 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Now they HAVE to bring in another WR via either by trade or FA.

WR Rod Streater done for the season.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-wr-rod-streater-out-for-season-derrick-willies-undergoes-surgery?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

They signed Breshad Perriman last week, so he should help.

And by help I mean drop passes.

3 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

After watching a big chunk of the game again, two big things stuck out to me.

1. Effort - This one is on the players mainly. There were multiple Baker sacks where the initial route was covered, he bought time, and the receivers just stood where they were instead of finding grass. The defensive effort was bad too for the most part. I'd put the drops in here too.

2. Coaching - We got our butts handed to us not only in effort, but also in scheme decisions and ability to adjust on the fly. I pointed out when Mitchell went down against Oakland that Gregg has NO idea how to adjust mid game. His #2 CB went down and he switched to prevent for pretty much the rest of the game (when the D has been doing well to that point). The Haley/Hue offense is weird as heck too, as they seem to be sticking to the "at least two go routes per play" strategy of old despite not really having the personnel for it. And they seem to be intentionally avoiding scheming touches for our most threatening players.

There were other bad points too. Baker's worst game so far for sure. Garrett pretty quiet again. Etc. But those two stuck out to me like a sore thumb.

Yeah I watched about a half of a quarter on a stream then met the neighborhood over vandalism that went on overnight. Then I had to go play my game and I think I have a bad sprain of my big toe, hoping it isn't broken but eh, I don't think there is much they could do anyway. Who doesn't want a purple toe twice the size of their other big toe (exaggeration, a little). Still, I didn't even miss a snap and still showed better effort than on that play. Had to give my effort playing a Pittsburgh team, we lost a close one but they were pretty cool unlike the other Pittsburgh team we play.

Archived