#WeFiredBruceAllen!!!

MKnight82

On 12/26/2019 at 4:54 PM, aceinthehouse said:

I pray this happens! If you want Haskins as your QB & don't  want some random coach coming in ala like Jay Gruden...."you're not my QB" and causing conflict & continuous disfunction?

Then you all, better hope the same.

The only coach who I think would be a better hire & fit? Is Lovie Smith

And I say that cause he's proven himself in the NFL already.

And would be perfect, for our Defense & going back to the 4-3.

But he is a retread hire...

If you want the perfect fit, but a fresh start & complete rebuild?

Then you want Urban Meyer.

Seriously...I pray this Happens.

My birthday is Jan 7th.

That's what I want, for my birthday! 🥞

Lovie Smith is terrible.  Not to mention, he's a Tampa 2 disciple, which is more of a targeted scheme than a defense that you run anymore.  The fact that he has not had another shot at an NFL job and is coaching at a middling Power Five conference job indicates that no one is interested and holds him in much esteem as a head coach.  Hard, hard pass.  

7 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Lovie Smith is terrible.  Not to mention, he's a Tampa 2 disciple, which is more of a targeted scheme than a defense that you run anymore.  The fact that he has not had another shot at an NFL job and is coaching at a middling Power Five conference job indicates that no one is interested and holds him in much esteem as a head coach.  Hard, hard pass.  

I dont get the Lovie mention either. His defense last year allowed 60+ 4 times or so.

But if nothing changes in the FO. Then guys around the Lovie level are what were probably stuck looking forward to unless they stick in house and roll with KO'C.

7 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I dont get the Lovie mention either. His defense last year allowed 60+ 4 times or so.

But if nothing changes in the FO. Then guys around the Lovie level are what were probably stuck looking forward to unless they stick in house and roll with KO'C.

Exactly.  The only hope otherwise is to try and hire someone away from a team early and hope that they strike lightning in a bottle.  

I hope the Urban Meyer rumors are true.

That's who I think would be perfect. His spread offense & knows Haskins very well, obviously.

Very smart coach & a winner.

Not to mention his analysis on Chase Young in that video & how impressed he was with him.

No doubt, he would take Young with the #2 pick.

Plus, I would love to see his innovative offense put in place here. 

I'm hoping he's the guy, but we'll just have to wait & see.

..............Urban Meyer's offense is nothing close to what Ryan Day runs.  I don't know where you guys are getting this stuff from.  Urban Meyer's offense is predicated around a dual threat QB with power running and inside-zone runs with the zone-blocking system.  Yes, there are spread elements in it, but it is not what Ohio State ran the past few years, starting with Tom Herman becoming his OC in the middle of the decade.  

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, turtle28 said:

There's such a thing as a June 1st cut and if make Alex one! Then, after that we’ll see what he wants to do. He certainly could do nothing. He could do TV, he could be an assistant coach or he could end up in a front office. I don't really expect him to be a GM right away but eventually he could be if he wanted to be.

As @e16bball pointed out a bit ago, there is no such thing as a June cut in the final year of the CBA. It has evaporated as a tool until and unless a new CBA is signed.

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just do not understand you obsession with Lovie Smith?

Anyone, who can take there team to a SB with Rex Grossman as their QB, is something special.

His success with Chicago was unbelievable.

This was his coaching record from 2004 to 2012 with the Bears.

2004=5-11

2005=11-5

2006=13-3

2007=7-9

2008=9-7

2009=7-9

2010=11-5

2011=8-8

2012=10-6

In 9 seasons, Lovie Smith had 4 double digit winning seasons & 1 other 9-7 seasons & an 8-8 season.

Only his 1st debut season was bad at 5-11.

His 2 other losing seasons were at 7-9.

Obviously, his defenses carried him to the success he had.

With his 4-3 scheme, he could make us legit contenders overnight, with the talent on defense.

His offense here, would already be better than what he had with Chicago.

Lovie would be an excellent hire!

Imo...

4 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Anyone, who can take there team to a SB with Rex Grossman as their QB, is something special.

His success with Chicago was unbelievable.

This was his coaching record from 2004 to 2012 with the Bears.

2004=5-11

2005=11-5

2006=13-3

2007=7-9

2008=9-7

2009=7-9

2010=11-5

2011=8-8

2012=10-6

In 9 seasons, Lovie Smith had 4 double digit winning seasons & 1 other 9-7 seasons & an 8-8 season.

Only his 1st debut season was bad at 5-11.

His 2 other losing seasons were at 7-9.

Obviously, his defenses carried him to the success he had.

With his 4-3 scheme, he could make us legit contenders overnight, with the talent on defense.

His offense here, would already be better than what he had with Chicago.

Lovie would be an excellent hire!

Imo...

You forget he went 2-14 and 6-10 with the Buccaneers and was canned, and has worked as a head coach at a middling Power Five school since then, with a 15-33 record to show for that.  

Also, the 4-3 "scheme" that he co-developed with Tony Dungy and Rod Marinelli is the Tampa 2 defense.  However, teams are not using it as their base defense anymore because, as TE's have become more athletic, it is easier to expose the seam down the middle which is a key weakness of the Tampa 2.  So instead it is used as a specific cover scheme in certain situations, not as a base defense.  The Tampa 2 system is also heavily based off having elite talent to be successful, and is not something where you can scheme lesser players into being successful.

Of course, it would be the Redskins thing to do, hire a guy to bring in a system that is not fit for the NFL.  

Face it, if Lovie Smith had anything of value to offer NFL teams right now, he would be a DC once again, if not interviewing for head coaching jobs.  But he sputtered near the end of his Bears tenure, never got things going with the Bucs and has struggled at Illinois 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You forget he went 2-14 and 6-10 with the Buccaneers and was canned, and has worked as a head coach at a middling Power Five school since then, with a 15-33 record to show for that.  

Also, the 4-3 "scheme" that he co-developed with Tony Dungy and Rod Marinelli is the Tampa 2 defense.  However, teams are not using it as their base defense anymore because, as TE's have become more athletic, it is easier to expose the seam down the middle which is a key weakness of the Tampa 2.  So instead it is used as a specific cover scheme in certain situations, not as a base defense.  The Tampa 2 system is also heavily based off having elite talent to be successful, and is not something where you can scheme lesser players into being successful.

Of course, it would be the Redskins thing to do, hire a guy to bring in a system that is not fit for the NFL.  

Face it, if Lovie Smith had anything of value to offer NFL teams right now, he would be a DC once again, if not interviewing for head coaching jobs.  But he sputtered near the end of his Bears tenure, never got things going with the Bucs and has struggled at Illinois 

Jim Harbaugh has struggled at Michigan. I guess he can't coach either.

Lovie has got Illinois Into a Bowl Game vs Cal.

Something Illinois hasn't done in ages.

I don't watch much college ball, but I believe they upset a powerhouse this year.

I want to say Wisconsin, but I'm not intirely sure.

41 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Jim Harbaugh has struggled at Michigan. I guess he can't coach either.

Lovie has got Illinois Into a Bowl Game vs Cal.

Something Illinois hasn't done in ages.

I don't watch much college ball, but I believe they upset a powerhouse this year.

I want to say Wisconsin, but I'm not intirely sure.

I'm not a Harbaugh fan, and I've made that assertion here and in the college football forum.  His teams did great except for the last year in San Francisco, then he jumped ship for Michigan, and has proceeded to not win against his rivals, ranked opponents or even bowl games.  He just doesn't prepare his team to win big games, and this year he had extra prep for both of the big losses he suffered.  I would not hire him to coach any NFL team based off of how Michigan has done under his direction.  

Yes, Lovie beat Wisconsin and even Iowa this year, but he still finished 6-6 and until the glut of bowl games now, that doesn't mean much- he can still finish with yet another losing record.  It's a step in the right direction for Illinois, but I would've liked to see it a year earlier.  If they continue this upward trend, maybe Smith becomes more eligible for NFL jobs again, but right now he is anything but.