Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

1 minute ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Id take him as a project if there in the 3rd. He has a lot of learning to do as a pocket passer in terms of processing and getting rid of the ball in 4 seconds. But other tools qbs need he seems to have. Good arm and accuracy, decent anticipation of routes, when he slides around he sets pretty good to throw a good ball instead of flipping up some floating backfoot/off balance duck.

You and I both know he has no chance of making it to the 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You and I both know he has no chance of making it to the 3rd. 

Id have to debate whats left on the board at our spot in the 2nd to see if worth the risk. Or bundle our 3rds to move in the 2nd and grab him.

Im pretty sure at least 3 qbs go before him. And say it could be 5 depending on how well liked others are by scouts and coaches. I think this draft is going to look more like EJ and Genos draft. Where qbs arnt flying off the board. Could be into the 20s before we see the 3rd qb selected.

11 hours ago, taylor made said:

WR D.K. Metcalf of Ole Miss declared for the draft. I want a QB or WR in the first round next year. I am very impressed with what I've seen from Metcalf!

He’s definitely someone I’m interested in, but I’m just as interested in drafting a 1st round LB, either ILB or OLB (depending on what happens when PSmith) as I am a QB or WR in round 1. 

I still believe that any QB we draft in round 1 or 2 is going to be our #3 QB and inactive most of the year unless Alex retires. That’s something we have to throw into the equation here. Alex’s Future, and what he tells the team about his future/medical reports they get in March/early April - I believe - will mean a lot as to if we draft a QB early or not.

If we’re going WR I have my heart set on Hollywood Brown. This team needs an explosive player so badly. Maybe Brown would open up the rest of the offense and with Guice coming back and Thompson hopefully healthy that would be a heck of a boost for whomever is playing QB until Smith returns. 

I still want BPA in the first. 2nd round we can be more targeting of an area. Pretty deep WR class,  with the qb class mediocre enough that whats gotten in the 2nd will be no different than whats taken anywhere else. Decent batch of ILBs to boot, and they never leave the board fast, quality can be found in the 2nd there and for CBs too.

BPA the 1st. Regardless of position.

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I still want BPA in the first. 2nd round we can be more targeting of an area. Pretty deep WR class,  with the qb class mediocre enough that whats gotten in the 2nd will be no different than whats taken anywhere else. Decent batch of ILBs to boot, and they never leave the board fast, quality can be found in the 2nd there and for CBs too.

Definitely agree PH, 100!

59 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Totally agree. 

Forcing yourself into one position is a recipe for a major reach (and often for disaster). 

Between WR, ILB, OG, OLB, CB, QB, and even safety/TE depending on offseason moves, we have needs at lots of positions. Get the best player we can at two of them in the first two rounds. 

And I don’t think that will be a QB. I think you pretty much hit it on the head — the QB we’d get at one of early draft picks will probably be pretty equivalent to a guy we could get a couple round later. Give me a 3rd/4th round QB who slides (like Mason Rudolph) over a late 1st round reach because we “need” a young QB (like Lamar Jackson). You’re going to need time to develop both of them anyway, I’ll take the better prospects at other positions to surround my developmental project QB with. 

On 11/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, lavar703 said:

If we’re going WR I have my heart set on Hollywood Brown. This team needs an explosive player so badly. Maybe Brown would open up the rest of the offense and with Guice coming back and Thompson hopefully healthy that would be a heck of a boost for whomever is playing QB until Smith returns. 

Sounds good to me, I am an OU alumni. I would be elated if we draft  hollywood which would certainly fill one of the many needs we need to address doing this upcoming off season. He has devastating speed. He will go in rds 1 or 2 but who ever we draft we definitely  need play makers. Boomer therefore I'm a Sooner.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

N'Keal Harry from ASU declared for the draft today.  I'd love to add his size and explosiveness at WR, though unless we start losing games, I don't think he will be available for us.  

The main knock on him is he isnt explosive.

But do like how he thickens up the draft class. Im liking this Claypool from ND. Size and speed. I think QB play is whats holding him out the 1st round talk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 1:26 PM, TKellion said:

Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern -really like what I have read on this guy.Any chance he lasts until our pick?

He was awful vs Ohio State in the big 10 championship game. Unless he balls out in the bowl game and the combine/private workouts, I wouldn’t take him before the 4th.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:27 AM, TheGreeK1973 said:

Seriously someone said he is average so that must be true?  So when people like Doc and Cooley say he has been terrific (have you seen a bad snap or shotgun or otherwise?  have you see much pressure up the middle?  Have you see how well he pulls on run plays?  And the guy is in his second year.  Lets say I strongly disagree and leave it at that.

I have no problems with Roullier, but Cooley & Doc claiming he’s one of the best in the league is just them wearing their burgundy & gold glasses. 

I didn’t say Roullier is bad - someone else did - I just think he’s in the middle of the pack.

Also, my point of drafting Deiter was for depth and completion at both LG & C. Roullier May still start over Deiter, but I don’t see why having more depth and competition is a bad thing.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He was awful vs Ohio State in the big 10 championship game. Unless he balls out in the bowl game and the combine/private workouts, I wouldn’t take him before the 4th.

Shows there just isnt much in this class.  But do wonder if he had better talent if he could have had better numbers. NWs recruit classes past 4 years are 10th, 10th, 11th, and 14th in the B1G alone. OSU is 1 or 2 every year. 70th and 96th ranked WRs in the country are the highest rated recruits on the roster.

Not meaning if it were my team Id take him before the 3rd. But do think he is better than that game showed.

Archived