Will Eli be benched again this season?

Elky

Just now, footbull3196 said:

I get that, I really do.  But why didn't they stick Davis Webb in to at least see if they had anything in him?  I know he just got cut just before the season, but hindsight is 20/20 and I'm not sure why they didn't at least play him some last year considering it was a lost season from Week 5 onwards

If they'd benched Eli for an unknown, I doubt there'd have been as much fuss about it. But all they did was kill Eli's starting streak. For no reason.

Eli must really be struggling with letting go. He's a 2 time champion and multi-time pro bowler. Idk how he can walk out and play the way he does and not realize how bad he is and how much hes holding the team back. If i were him, id be dying to be benched at this point

2 hours ago, Totty said:

I'm far from an Eli fan.  But maybe they thought Barkley was better than any QB in the draft? So you settle for a QB that you're not wild about and miss out on what could be a generational talent?  Eh.  Tough call.  

I've never been an Eli fan but it's been clear for sometime that they needed to upgrade that position.

Regardless, this draft was pretty loaded and RB is probably the last position you should take regardless of how special you believe that player is. You can find very good running backs later in the draft or even off the scrap heap in FA. They didn't have a shot at Mayfield, which was by far my favorite, I'd have looked very hard at the other QB's. If they felt any of those QB's were franchise QB's, even if they felt Barkley was a Gurley type, they should have jumped on the QB position. I'd have taken Chubb, Ward and a lot more over over Barkley just because he plays RB.

I’d buy more into the “they should have taken a QB” idea if it wasn’t for the fact Darnold didn’t/doesn’t impress me much.  Giants offense would still be terrible.  

They were able to get a generational talent and will likely be picking in the top five again next year with a chance at a QB.  I don’t see what the problem is.  I mean another year of bad Eli sucks, but it’s probably better than a year of Darnold underwhelming w/o Barkley.  Does that extra year end up ultimately mattering? 

22 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I’d buy more into the “they should have taken a QB” idea if it wasn’t for the fact Darnold didn’t/doesn’t impress me much.  Giants offense would still be terrible.  

They were able to get a generational talent and will likely be picking in the top five again next year with a chance at a QB.  I don’t see what the problem is.  I mean another year of bad Eli sucks, but it’s probably better than a year of Darnold underwhelming w/o Barkley.  Does that extra year end up ultimately mattering? 

In a sense they might be better bringing Eli back as the starter next year. Extra top three pick for them, more stat accumulation and money for Eli.

2 hours ago, jaa1025 said:

I've never been an Eli fan but it's been clear for sometime that they needed to upgrade that position.

Regardless, this draft was pretty loaded and RB is probably the last position you should take regardless of how special you believe that player is. You can find very good running backs later in the draft or even off the scrap heap in FA. They didn't have a shot at Mayfield, which was by far my favorite, I'd have looked very hard at the other QB's. If they felt any of those QB's were franchise QB's, even if they felt Barkley was a Gurley type, they should have jumped on the QB position. I'd have taken Chubb, Ward and a lot more over over Barkley just because he plays RB.

You might think that.  The Giants on the other hand?  Clearly they wanted Barkley more than any QB. 

2 hours ago, jaa1025 said:

I dont necessarily disagree with your logic, but I personally didnt see any QB in this draft as being worth a top 5 pick, and the only one I thought was a top 15 pick was Rosen.     Not saying I am right about this, or that long term it will be the right decision, but Barkley was a special talent, and none of the QBs really were.     I am not big on taking RBs top 5 or even top 10 for that matter, but Barkley is the type of talent at RB you have to strongly consider.

I really think they thought that Barkley would help make Eli better so he could play another few years, but they seem to have been mistaken in that assessment.  

I wont go as far as to say Eli is completely DONE, but I do think the Giants need to move on after this season.

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Then take Nelson. Or take Ward. Pick one of the premier positions like QB, CB, OT, or EDGE. A runningback at #2 overall when you are in the place the Giants are right now, in this era, isn't a huge need. Maybe you don't find generational talents in the later rounds, but you can still find good players that can replicate production. 

56 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont necessarily disagree with your logic, but I personally didnt see any QB in this draft as being worth a top 5 pick, and the only one I thought was a top 15 pick was Rosen.     Not saying I am right about this, or that long term it will be the right decision, but Barkley was a special talent, and none of the QBs really were.     I am not big on taking RBs top 5 or even top 10 for that matter, but Barkley is the type of talent at RB you have to strongly consider.

I really think they thought that Barkley would help make Eli better so he could play another few years, but they seem to have been mistaken in that assessment.  

I wont go as far as to say Eli is completely DONE, but I do think the Giants need to move on after this season.

If you don't see a QB then go something else. This draft had some very good talent elsewhere. If I don't have a QB that I like then I either trade down for a ransom or draft Chubb or Ward, which I liked a lot. Considering the Giants line problems, Id try to trade back maybe go Nelson at G. The one pick, regardless of need or rankings that I don't take is RB at #2.

I was in agreement with you as well. Mayfield was the only QB that I thought was worthy of a top 5 pick and he had question marks. I liked Rosen if he wasn't a potential headcase and made of glass. I didn't like Darnold at all. Allen was intriguing because of his arm strength but I figured his accuracy would be his downfall. 

I know nothing about Lauletta but any sort of mobility would be an upgrade over Eli. He can't slide around the pocket anymore. If he gets grazed or sees the pressure is getting close to him, he seizes up like a scared baby goat. For the love of god, put in someone who can extend the play.

Archived