Stock Investing

rickyt31

Out of the Vegas plays, Vici is probably my favorite stock. They have properties all over, but they are heavy in vegas. Especially after buying MGM properties. They had no issues collecting money from companies like others did and with everything happening there, I can see the stock really shooting up. I might pick up a call on MGM if they start expanding their betting app in other key states. 

I rather just buy some bullion or fancy wine and lock them away for a while. I've also contemplated buying a bunch of the first edition Wembanyama sneakers and holding them with their original boxes and put the shoes in vacuum sealed bags. Maybe some sneaker nut offers big money for them in 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 1:04 PM, Tetsujin said:

I rather just buy some bullion or fancy wine and lock them away for a while. I've also contemplated buying a bunch of the first edition Wembanyama sneakers and holding them with their original boxes and put the shoes in vacuum sealed bags. Maybe some sneaker nut offers big money for them in 10 years.

I don't know if you're joking on the sneakers and wine or not, but I'm a big fan of precious metals.

I use APMEX.com to buy silver and gold. I have a bunch of 10 oz silver bars, a bunch of one gram gold bars and I just recently bought my first 10 oz gold bar.

I've completely stopped investing in stocks on my own and switched to automated accounts.

Ally invest is my favorite. It keeps 30% of your money in an interest bearing account. I don't know what it starts at, but right now I'm at 4.15% on there. I've also got an Edward Jones account that's all interest bearing cash. I max out my IRA contributions each year and everything I've put into Coinbase over the past year has been into USD Coin, which earns 2%.

Physical gold and silver, crypto, interest bearing accounts... The only things I trust right now in terms of investing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MacReady said:

I don't know if you're joking on the sneakers and wine or not, but I'm a big fan of precious metals.

I use APMEX.com to buy silver and gold. I have a bunch of 10 oz silver bars, a bunch of one gram gold bars and I just recently bought my first 10 oz gold bar.

I've completely stopped investing in stocks on my own and switched to automated accounts.

Ally invest is my favorite. It keeps 30% of your money in an interest bearing account. I don't know what it starts at, but right now I'm at 4.15% on there. I've also got an Edward Jones account that's all interest bearing cash. I max out my IRA contributions each year and everything I've put into Coinbase over the past year has been into USD Coin, which earns 2%.

Physical gold and silver, crypto, interest bearing accounts... The only things I trust right now in terms of investing.

Not kidding on the sneakers. You never know if some “sneakerhead” a decade from now will pay big money for them if they’re in pristine condition with original box. 

On 5/5/2023 at 2:04 AM, Tetsujin said:

Actually worked with a few guys that invested in whisky casks/barrels. They said they make decent money off it but nothing you'd retire on.

• 7 months later...

Okay, question for the room:

I am interested in a high yield savings account. Long story short, we have 3-6 months of income/expenses in our emergency savings account that we hope not to have to draw from in addition to squirreling money into our mutual funds and retirement.

Does anyone know of anything that is reputable in this regard? If so I’d just break up with my bank and go this route assuming I can have a checking account and setup a direct deposit down the road ASAP.

@ramssuperbowl99 any suggestions?

• Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, Tetsujin said:

Not kidding on the sneakers. You never know if some “sneakerhead” a decade from now will pay big money for them if they’re in pristine condition with original box. 

Long quote from a post a while ago, but a co-worker was a sneakerhead from 2009-2013 and sold everything a few years ago.  Made quite a profit from it.  There is even a store in our local mall for sneakerheads as well.  

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Okay, question for the room:

I am interested in a high yield savings account. Long story short, we have 3-6 months of income/expenses in our emergency savings account that we hope not to have to draw from in addition to squirreling money into our mutual funds and retirement.

Does anyone know of anything that is reputable in this regard? If so I’d just break up with my bank and go this route assuming I can have a checking account and setup a direct deposit down the road ASAP.

@ramssuperbowl99 any suggestions?

There should be a list of high yield savings accounts, beyond that I'd cross check where the physical branches are near you for convenience.

Personally, I think the focus on interest rate for emergency funds is overrated so I use a national chain with branches everywhere, really good security, and a convenient online portal instead of the savings rate. Instead I just keep 3 months expenses instead of a full 6 and invest the difference. But that's a personal preference.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

There should be a list of high yield savings accounts, beyond that I'd cross check where the physical branches are near you for convenience.

Personally, I think the focus on interest rate for emergency funds is overrated so I use a national chain with branches everywhere, really good security, and a convenient online portal instead of the savings rate. Instead I just keep 3 months expenses instead of a full 6 and invest the difference. But that's a personal preference.

To add to this, @MWil23 you can just go with a brokerage account and put it in a money market that will likely yield even more than a savings account. Plus the funds are virtually as liquid (maybe a 24-hour wait time at the most to transfer it to your checking account).

Plus, it would be extra easy to invest it at will. There really is no reason to keep a significant amount of money in a bank anymore.

• Like 1

I've been using my stock accounts as high-yield savings. Etrade has a checking account with 3%, Robinhood just bumped up to 5.25%, and I know Fidelity is around 5% at the moment. 

My industry was pretty much on strike all year and I burned all resources and savings. So I'm currently trying to save back up while trying to save my apartment/car. I'm debating on dumping my current bank account and switching over to one of these accounts.