Stock Investing

rickyt31

I may have asked this before so I apologize. What’s everyone’s favorite online platform for investing. A buddy said he had a code I could use to get some free stock on Robinhood. Which company I don’t know. Thinking about creating an account this weekend 

39 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

I may have asked this before so I apologize. What’s everyone’s favorite online platform for investing. A buddy said he had a code I could use to get some free stock on Robinhood. Which company I don’t know. Thinking about creating an account this weekend 

I use fidelity which is who may employer uses for 401k.  It’s like 6 bucks a trade.

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

The free Robinhood stock is chosen randomly, you could luck out and get on worth a nice little chunk of change ($50 to a few hundred dollars I think) but most the free stocks are under $5.

You can get the free stock on Robinhood and just let it sit or sell it and cash out even if you don’t plan on using the Robinhood app for anything else. would still recommend it for that.

32 minutes ago, Dome said:

The free Robinhood stock is chosen randomly, you could luck out and get on worth a nice little chunk of change ($50 to a few hundred dollars I think) but most the free stocks are under $5.

You can get the free stock on Robinhood and just let it sit or sell it and cash out even if you don’t plan on using the Robinhood app for anything else. would still recommend it for that.

Don’t know a thing about robinhood, but most stocks under $5 aren’t typically a safe investment, but rather speculative as hell.

Stick with the blue chips or, better yet, an index fund unless you really know what you’re doing or just want to roll the dice a bit with smaller amounts of money.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Don’t know a thing about robinhood, but most stocks under $5 aren’t typically a safe investment, but rather speculative as hell.

Stick with the blue chips or, better yet, an index fund unless you really know what you’re doing or just want to roll the dice a bit with smaller amounts of money.

I mean they just give you the stock for free when you sign up, then you can cash out if you want and they’ll send that $4 to your PayPal or something 

so it’s pretty safe. I’m not suggesting he start buying $5 stocks 

Edited by Dome

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Sorta off topic but I didn't see a better thread for it. This refund check possibly coming to us. It's just an advance on our 2020 tax returns? We'll "owe" it back. It's not just money we're being given?

I haven’t seen anything like that.

It’s free money, fresh off the printing press.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Sorta off topic but I didn't see a better thread for it. This refund check possibly coming to us. It's just an advance on our 2020 tax returns? We'll "owe" it back. It's not just money we're being given?

No, you'll just have to claim it on your 2020 return as taxable income.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

was my plan. Mostly ETFs and some single companies. Was going to start out with a grand and see how it goes.

7 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

I use Robinhood for my personal stuff. The other accounts I have are retirement accounts or other accounts with mutual funds that I don't buy/sell anything, since the funds themselves automatically do that for me. 

Robinhood is great for small trades and beginners. No $7 commission helps when you buy $100-500 worth or something. 

Go ahead and pull the trigger with that account. The first 1k you deposit comes in immediately, which is nice  

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Market will tank when the jobs report comes out.

Everyone already knows the number will be bad, so I don't necessarily agree

It's about the expectation vs reality. If it's expected to be bad, then that's already baked into the market place