2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

5 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I do think Risner can play OT in the NFL.  Is he going to be an elite OT in the NFL? Probably not.  His ceiling doesn't seem that high.  But he seem like he can be an above average RT, in a league where there a lot of bad tackles today (See Bobby Hart).  I would give him a chance there before kicking him inside.  And yes, the size difference is there, which is why I'm curious where he comes in exactly.

My entire statement was more that I see them as very similar in terms of technique and flaws.  Whit is a great OT, but his weakness is speed rushers.  Risner will be similar.  While Risner is smaller he doesn't get beat by bull rushers because of his technique and ability to anchor.  Will be different in the NFL when going against a bull rush from say Khalil Mack, but I still see Risner as a poor mans Whitworth.  I'm not saying he'll be Withworth or that his ceiling is Withworth, but I see him as an undersized Withworth.  Their game really does reflect each other IMO...

It's not just a size issue with Risner, it's more a length issue.  He's listed at 6'4".  Odds are he has shorter arms.  The only OL who were 6'4" or shorter and had 33"+ arms were James Daniels (Iowa), Jamarco Jones (Ohio State), Skyler Phillips (Idaho State), Rod Taylor (Mississippi State), and Isaiah Wynn (Georgia).  That's not a real long list.  Arm length is usually proportional to height.

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Top interior guys and go!!! Need some film to watch

Wisconsin OL Tyler Biadasz is the best interior guy in the draft IMO.

I've seen a lot of people saying Cody Ford will be the top OG from the class...he's got quick feet and a big frame, but isn't a mauler like he should be.

Stanford's Nate Herbig is a mauler. BIg and nasty.

LSU's Garrett Brumfield is one of the easiest moving OG's I've ever seen. Excellent fit for a ZBS.

Boston College OG Chris Lindstrom might be my favorite non-day 1 pick. Steady Eddie...good at everything.

On 12/27/2018 at 1:08 PM, Rockice_8 said:

I've heard the name Jawann Taylor being the possible 1st tackle off the board recently passing Williams and Little.  How would you rank those 3?  Are they the clear top 3 in the class?

Yeah he has just declared for the draft, I have had him as a solid 2nd rounder most of the season but could totally see him as a 1st round pick.  Kid has been good for the get go, played as a freshman and has improved every year now as a junior.  In terms of combination being a large powerful tackle who can pass protect he is arguably the best.  And since of late Jonah Williams has not played all that great and Greg Little does not have the power Taylor has it could happen with him being the 1st one taken but he would have to really workout well and those other two would have to not.  The OT group is not super deep in terms of elite guys so he has a chance to move up.  He is such an elite athlete for that massive 6-5 335+ size, such powerful hands and good feet, he can really move people around.

Going to have to go back and watch more of him this past season for sure, but just look how good they are at running the ball at Florida this year.  Taylor is a big reason why and so is Ivey who I feel could be a great OG or RT and has 1st round potential as well.

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah he has just declared for the draft, I have had him as a solid 2nd rounder most of the season but could totally see him as a 1st round pick.  Kid has been good for the get go, played as a freshman and has improved every year now as a junior.  In terms of combination being a large powerful tackle who can pass protect he is arguably the best.  And since of late Jonah Williams has not played all that great and Greg Little does not have the power Taylor has it could happen with him being the 1st one taken but he would have to really workout well and those other two would have to not.  The OT group is not super deep in terms of elite guys so he has a chance to move up.  He is such an elite athlete for that massive 6-5 335+ size, such powerful hands and good feet, he can really move people around.

Going to have to go back and watch more of him this past season for sure, but just look how good they are at running the ball at Florida this year.  Taylor is a big reason why and so is Ivey who I feel could be a great OG or RT and has 1st round potential as well.

The thing about Taylor is that he clearly has the tools to handle LT.  The footwork and length really stand out.   When Trey Adams was around, he was the clear #1 LT in this class, and pre-injury I'd have been confident he would go top 6-7.    I think Little and Jonah Williams both are LT capable, but their play has been so uneven, it's entirely possible that Taylor becomes the top T taken.   Frankly, if DEN took him (we pick likely 11-12 if we lose today), I'd have no problems with that (we could then move Bolles to RT, and finally solve our T problems and upgrade 2 spots in 1 go).  

Edited by Broncofan

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The thing about Taylor is that he clearly has the tools to handle LT.  The footwork and length really stand out.   When Trey Adams was around, he was the clear #1 LT in this class, and pre-injury I'd have been confident he would go top 6-7.    I think Little and Jonah Williams both are LT capable, but their play has been so uneven, it's entirely possible that Taylor becomes the top T taken.   Frankly, if DEN took him (we pick likely 11-12 if we lose today), I'd have no problems with that (we could then move Bolles to RT, and finally solve our T problems and upgrade 2 spots in 1 go).  

Yeah with Adams returning to school it does change things but with the injury stuff with him, Williams and Little where ahead of him though.  Jonah Williams just flat out disappointed in the Georgia game, was ok in the OU game but did get beat on pressures a few times.  Little is just damn solid in pass pro and has always been, again not as powerful as Taylor but is as good in pass pro as any tackle and is arguably the best pure LT.  Taylor with his power I think would be better as a RT but sure could play LT if one wanted him to.

Is Bolles doing that poorly at LT?  I would be shocked if Taylor puts up anything close to the numbers Bolles did athletically at the combine.  Taylor has such great power and is so well put together, I had him easily the 2nd best JR OT even ahead of Adams and with how Williams has played recently no surprise some have him ahead of Williams now maybe.  A high 1st round pick is a stretch maybe but if no one else emerges he would be one of the best OT available.  

Dillard was so so in his bowl game, I liked him a lot early on but against elite pass rushers not sure he has the length and plays in that odd system which does not help.  Dillard is strong at the point of attack and is put together well but might fall to more of a 3rd rounder or later but will see.

There are some ok OT prospects later past the 1st, some have big time potential but others are just backups but will see.

Trevon Tate Memphis RS - Need to watch him more but could shoot up the rankings, really opens holes and could be a 2nd rounder will see

Mitch Hyatt Clemson - crazy consistent over a long period of time, good in pass pro

Donnell Greene Minnesota RS - Love his size and had a fine year, could be a nice 3-4th round pick I think.

Yodny Cajuste West Virginia RS - Well put together, does have a bad injury history though

Yosuah Nijman Virgina Tech - Love his length, might be better at guard though does get beat with speed, but kid is huge

Stefano Millin Pitt RS - Had a good season, good looking athlete could be a late round pickup

Andre James UCLA RS JR - Good player who has a nice base and good punch

Austin Hoyt BYU RS - Like his size and power, could be a decent RT late rounds

Marcus Applefield Virginia RS - Have not watched him a ton but tough RT potentially with good power

Jordan Murray North Texas - Is a mountain out there, huge length and size, will see if he is a good enough athlete though

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah with Adams returning to school it does change things but with the injury stuff with him, Williams and Little where ahead of him though.  Jonah Williams just flat out disappointed in the Georgia game, was ok in the OU game but did get beat on pressures a few times.  Little is just damn solid in pass pro and has always been, again not as powerful as Taylor but is as good in pass pro as any tackle and is arguably the best pure LT.  Taylor with his power I think would be better as a RT but sure could play LT if one wanted him to.

Is Bolles doing that poorly at LT?  I would be shocked if Taylor puts up anything close to the numbers Bolles did athletically at the combine.  Taylor has such great power and is so well put together, I had him easily the 2nd best JR OT even ahead of Adams and with how Williams has played recently no surprise some have him ahead of Williams now maybe.  A high 1st round pick is a stretch maybe but if no one else emerges he would be one of the best OT available.  

Dillard was so so in his bowl game, I liked him a lot early on but against elite pass rushers not sure he has the length and plays in that odd system which does not help.  Dillard is strong at the point of attack and is put together well but might fall to more of a 3rd rounder or later but will see.

There are some ok OT prospects later past the 1st, some have big time potential but others are just backups but will see.

Trevon Tate Memphis RS - Need to watch him more but could shoot up the rankings, really opens holes and could be a 2nd rounder will see

Mitch Hyatt Clemson - crazy consistent over a long period of time, good in pass pro

Donnell Greene Minnesota RS - Love his size and had a fine year, could be a nice 3-4th round pick I think.

Yodny Cajuste West Virginia RS - Well put together, does have a bad injury history though

Yosuah Nijman Virgina Tech - Love his length, might be better at guard though does get beat with speed, but kid is huge

Stefano Millin Pitt RS - Had a good season, good looking athlete could be a late round pickup

Andre James UCLA RS JR - Good player who has a nice base and good punch

Austin Hoyt BYU RS - Like his size and power, could be a decent RT late rounds

Marcus Applefield Virginia RS - Have not watched him a ton but tough RT potentially with good power

Jordan Murray North Texas - Is a mountain out there, huge length and size, will see if he is a good enough athlete though

Bolles is an absolute monster in the run game - it's just his technique has him in bad positions in pass pro, with reaching out of position and giving up pressure/sacks/penalties.   He grades out as the 28th T - but he's literally top 5 in run blocking, and well below-average as a pass blocker.    Now, he's been a lot better in the 2H of the season, but if you put him at RT, I suspect many of his pass-blocking problems would disappear, given he's not nearly as much on an island.    Given he's now 26+, he's probably maxed out physically.   If we draft a RT and leave him at LT, we're probably always wondering if that's the best fit.  If we put him at RT and get a LT-capable guy, then worst case we have 2 options, but best-case, Bolles' problems go away and we have a big pass pro upgrade...and having bookend T's would help a ton.

Having said all of the above, I'd be happy with either Taylor or Little.   I was very high on Williams, but man, he's really underwhelmed in the big games, and that has to be concerning.   I'm a lot happier to have Taylor joing Little/Williams, when it looked like we'd be picking in mid-teens I wasn't even sure if T would be there.   Elway could go a lot of different ways, but I'm all for overall BPA, and if the gap is miniscule, totally fine to use positional need as the tiebreaker.  It looks like we'll pick in the early teens, so I'm happy to say that either CB/T should be in the convo - always best when our needs and BPA match (yeah, I know QB is the biggest need, but QB at 1.1x is going to be a massive reach IMO, but that's well covered in the QB thread).

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Bolles is an absolute monster in the run game - it's just his technique has him in bad positions in pass pro, with reaching out of position and giving up pressure/sacks/penalties.   He grades out as the 28th T - but he's literally top 5 in run blocking, and well below-average as a pass blocker.    Now, he's been a lot better in the 2H of the season, but if you put him at RT, I suspect many of his pass-blocking problems would disappear, given he's not nearly as much on an island.    Given he's now 26+, he's probably maxed out physically.   If we draft a RT and leave him at LT, we're probably always wondering if that's the best fit.  If we put him at RT and get a LT-capable guy, then worst case we have 2 options, but best-case, Bolles' problems go away and we have a big pass pro upgrade...and having bookend T's would help a ton.

Having said all of the above, I'd be happy with either Taylor or Little.   I was very high on Williams, but man, he's really underwhelmed in the big games, and that has to be concerning.   I'm a lot happier to have Taylor joing Little/Williams, when it looked like we'd be picking in mid-teens I wasn't even sure if T would be there.   Elway could go a lot of different ways, but I'm all for overall BPA, and if the gap is miniscule, totally fine to use positional need as the tiebreaker.  It looks like we'll pick in the early teens, so I'm happy to say that either CB/T should be in the convo - always best when our needs and BPA match (yeah, I know QB is the biggest need, but QB at 1.1x is going to be a massive reach IMO, but that's well covered in the QB thread).

Yeah they do need some help on the OL but also the DL and DB groups as well, and of course QB long term project type guy.

But with Jawaan Taylor he is promising no doubt, just look at how good Trent Brown is for the Patriots, former Florida OT.  Oh they lost Solder this star OT on the Patriots, then they just fill him in with Brown and he does just fine.  They even lost Wynn the 1st round pick all year possible OG and no big deal.  That was a steal an a half getting Brown, giant kid with a lot of upside but was a 7th round pick people probably did not like his combine just like they did not like Orlando Brown Jrs.  

Taylor is more skilled than Brown though and stronger at the point of attack for sure.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:13 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Raiders are picking at #4. I think Bosa, Williams and probably Allen will be gone before us unfortunately. Who would be your BPA at this point? 

Devin White would fill a huge hole for the raiders in the middle of their defense. One of the many DTs would be of use to them as well even with Hall and Hurst added in last years draft for depth. I don’t necessarily think any of the CBs, Williams, Baker or Murphy are worth this pick but they sure could use some help at CB. A little earlier for the next group of pass rushers to be coming off the board but Burns and Polite offer help to a severely lacking pass rush.

Got off topic for sure, with that said, who are some possible mid round targets who can possibly double at C/OG in this years class?

Edited by Fureys49ers

18 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Any opinions on Erik McCoy, center from Texas A&M. Just declared recently. Looks like an ideal fit for a ZBS.

Looks ideal for alot of things. He's very athletic. And I mean James Daniels type athletic and at probably 10 or 20 pounds heavier which is very impressive.

22 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Any opinions on Erik McCoy, center from Texas A&M. Just declared recently. Looks like an ideal fit for a ZBS.

Wow he declared, RS JR I guess so he probably already graduated and is done.  

Like others have said great athlete, really can move and has come on strong this season and played very well.  Looked great recently in that bowl game, to me though if he came back he would be 1st round possibly.  Now I doubt he gets picked over Pierschbacher, McGovern or Mustipher but I like McGovern as a OG anyways and Pierschbacher could play OG also so will see how it ends up.  If he works out well and runs well could climb up but will be hard, is arguably one of the most talented centers in the draft with not a great Center group.  I know Garrett Bradbury of NC State is another but never was super impressed with him.