Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Indeed.

But here's McGinn's write-up from the end of the 2017 season, written 9 months before HaHa was traded.
take it for what its worth to you

HA HA CLINTON-DIX (99.2% snaps):
Completely fell apart in his fourth season. Other than showing up to practice every day and playing every game, his contributions were minimal. Appallingly bad for much of the second half, especially the finale in Detroit when he just went through the motions. Probably just isn’t that good of a player. Straight-line athlete with average change of direction and agility. Lacks the speed to match with top wide receivers deep and the quickness to cover from the slot. Blew way too many assignments for someone with more than 3,500 career snaps. Couldn’t handle the responsibility of wearing the helmet headset and communicating the call to teammates in Game 7. Little or no urgency as a tackler. Second on the team in missed tackles with 13, 10 more than a year ago. Ranked merely fifth among the six safeties in tackles per snap (one every 12.2). Seems almost delusional regarding his value and role on the team. He’ll get one more season to prove worthy of receiving another contract. Grade: D.

my personal opinion is that he's better than he showed, but he wanted out.
Good luck to him going forward

McGinn and a whole bunch of other old school guys had a stick up their *** about the guy dawging it in a games we were tanking. Calling him "appallingly bad" is freaking absurd. 

5 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Does it matter.  I believe based on his reaction to the pick, that HHCD didn't want to be here.  You can believe what you want.

Bcuz every draft pick smiles ear to ear when they stick a TV camera in their face while they’re going through all kinds of emotions during the biggest moment of their life?  You must be a helluva poker player if you can read ppl like that on a TV screen. 

41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

McGinn and a whole bunch of other old school guys had a stick up their *** about the guy dawging it in a games we were tanking. Calling him "appallingly bad" is freaking absurd. 

There is a finite number of plays every year. If a guy is obviously appallingly bad on even a few, and it's easy to see - he's going to get that label.

The truth is he really was appallingly badore frequently than you see from other players. It stood out to casual fans. 

That's not good.

28 minutes ago, cannondale said:

For me, he didn't want to be here. End of story. Buh-bye. Pretty apparent Gute and Co. have a zero tolerance policy

That sucks if thats true, it would also suck if he wasn't playing as hard as he should have just to leave. I just hope this won't be the theme for some other packer players in the future. First Randall, now HaHa. 

36 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

That sucks if thats true, it would also suck if he wasn't playing as hard as he should have just to leave. I just hope this won't be the theme for some other packer players in the future. First Randall, now HaHa. 

If you remember HHCD also ran his mouth at the end of last season, criticizing the coaches and players. This after he obviously mailed in the last few games. MM tried to smooth it over by saying HHCD was a competitor and wanted to win games, but I'm guessing further stupid talk this year sealed his fate.

I think players in all sports are becoming more bold. The money is so big now I guess they can afford to. Look at the NBA. Players are picking and choosing where they want to go. Trade me here, I'm not going there. Contracts are becoming useless pieces of paper. It is what it is.

So far Gute has accumulated 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7 for next year. He could do some damage again, and desperately needs to.

16 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If you remember HHCD also ran his mouth at the end of last season, criticizing the coaches and players. This after he obviously mailed in the last few games.

I don't think HHCD sucked during his time with the Packers like some do, but I do believe things went sideways for him in Green Bay for some reason and it was best for him to move on.

Maybe it's true he never wanted to play for the Packers in the first place, but I don't know.

Anyway, to be fair, HHCD "ran his mouth at the end of last season" mostly about Dom Capers antiquated approach to playing defense. 

Personally, I would have been sick of wasting years playing in that system (and for Dom) and frankly would have liked to see one of the defensive so-called leaders (Daniels? Clay?) running their mouths about that subject long before HHCD spoke out.

I also think Aaron and others on the team ran their mouths about Ty's selfish decision on Sunday because for too long there has been a lack of accountability - for players, coaches, and management, in the organization.

Anyway, I think Gute is quickly changing the culture and getting a 4th rounder for HHCD under the circumstances is a pretty fair return.

Finally, if HHCD plays better in Washington, D.C. than he did in GB (putting his body on the line, etc.) like Hyde has in Buffalo and Hayward has for the Chargers it will be further evidence of just how dysfunctional the organization was on the defensive side of the ball, specifically the secondary, for the past 5 or so years.

Missed all the fun yesterday.  Thought we would have received a little better pick but also didn't realize he was playing on his 5th year option.  A 4th is ok.  Not great by any means.  Guess that is the best we could do.  Ha Ha doesn't love football he's all about the $$$.  He may play well for Washington until he gets paid and then he'll disappear again.  Maybe he didn't like GB but think it's more he doesn't like football.  Guess we'll see.  Monty ran off his mouth and that pretty much spelled the end of him.  Pack had no choice there.  At least we got a 7th.  He was JAG not to worried about replacing him.  Too bad we missed out on Fowler.  Damn Rams the bastards.  That would have been a good get especially if we could have extended him.  Well we now have 2 open roster spots.  See how Gute fills them.  A lot of picks in next years draft if he hits like he did this year we'll be primed.

8 hours ago, Gravedigger93 said:

Usually you don't see front 7 guys with 3 passes defended in one game. So it was a good effort by him, especially with one of the PDs coming off a late drive that stalled and helped to win the game. I didn't say he dominated, but for sure he contributed to that win more than in other games. So just give credit where credit is deserved.

Ok. I’ll give you you the fact that it may have been his most impactful game but I’d say that’s pure LUCK. 

Here is Perry’s stat line for that game

T/A - 0/0    Sacks - 0   Int. - 0    FF - 0

14 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

This is subtraction by subtraction.

He is actively creating holes in the roster that we have nobody to fill. Who is going to play FS now? Josh Jones? Who is much worse from the little we have seen from him. The bevy of CBs who have no reps playing safety in this D?

There may be locker room mechanics that I don't understand but this is a bad trade. 

I'm still giving Gute a long leash but thus far TT>Gute. 

But should we keep a guy around who doesn't want to be there?  IMO Ha Ha looked lazy out there at times and averse to making a tackle.  You can't have guys like that in your locker room.  

13 hours ago, jontat83 said:

We are a weaker team this season after these moves, I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise.

If these two players were a problem in the locker room and weren't happy in GB do you really want that

Perhaps we'll put Tramon in Ha Ha's spot going forward.  Williams is too slow to be a CB at this stage of his career.

13 hours ago, Cheech said:

He wasn't serviceable or solid in the red zone This year.  He was a liability.  4x this year the defense got beat for a TD on a skinny post with Haha doing god knows what.  

He was serviceable in run support when he felt like it.  90 % of the time he was content letting his teammates do the dirty work.  

At one moment late in the game on Sunday I saw Jaire and Haha in the same frame.  I literally said "Holy ****" out loud.  My wife looked at me like what the hell are you possessed with?  Jaire's jersey was blue, green and brown all over.  The look of a jersey when you've had the best game that any Packers DB has had since Woodson's glory days.  In the same frame HaHa's jersey looked fricken sparkling white like he just put it on.  

And that's HaHa's story.  He  played the last season and a half to not get hurt.  No way was he going to lay it all on the line for this team the way Jaire did on Sunday.  What a sad freaking contrast it was.  

Ha Ha is a lazy player who didn't appear to like contact.  Those aren't good traits for a defensive safety...

12 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The most famous of which was Jim Kelly.

Bruce Clark went to Canada to play rather than play for the Packers.

That was back in the days when the Packers were truly dreadful.  Looking back do you blame him?  The present Packers teams are nothing like those disasters.

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

He was available for quite a long time this year and signed for a pittance. Maybe he wasn't interested in GB ?
If the Packers or Pettine had any interest in him, they had plenty of opportunity.

How is Reid playing in Carolina these days?  Perhaps he was available for a reason?   He doesn't appear to be racking up tackles and INTs.

Archived