Will Mariota and Winston get extensions with their teams?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Quite the opposite. Been a myriad of bunch formations and 2-3 TE sets.

We don’t have the personnel to run a spread offense, but at the same time it would also be nice to see a spread look sprinkled in there a little more than it is.

So how has LeFluer performed because there was a lot hype about him

5 hours ago, Activated10 said:

So how has LeFluer performed because there was a lot hype about him

We are all very underwhelmed so far. His play calling is extremely predictable and he doesn’t put Mariota in very good situations. Ask any of us in the Titans forum it almost looks as if Robiskie never left (except for the route concepts which don’t have receivers running on top of each other anymore).

He doesn’t help Mariota get in to much of a rhythm either. He nearly always runs on 1st down and because of our awful running game, it continuously sets up 2nd/3rd and long.

His most recent head scratcher was the 2 point conversion against the Chargers last weekend. A penalty on the Chargers put us on the 1 yard line and this is what he dialed up...

Not that I would have just tried to ram it up the middle with Henry (who runs like a *****) but why would you line up your QB - who utilized his legs better than anything - under center, and put no RB in the backfield? It eliminated the threat of a running play by the QB or a RB and all the defense had to do was just sit on the pass.  The Tennessee media ripped him to shreds on that one and the broadcasters (Arians) were also dumbfounded at the playcall at the time it happened.

This is his first time calling plays and it definitely shows. Hopefully he gets better as the games go on.

7 minutes ago, Classic said:

Man that's brutal, whoever #14 is sucks and should be cut. That drop first the bills is the worst 

He was cut after the game. He's a Ram now. God knows why McVay wants him on his team, but alas. He not only dropped that sure TD in the Bills game, but also stopped running his route and caused an INT.

I agree that they will either get a short term extension ala Bortles or, the 5th year option + franchise tag treatment. I think both are busts but this is a bad draft to need a QB and they've already won too many games to be in contention. Placeholder QBs with an off chance of figuring it out but mostly killing time until they get their next guy.

12 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I agree that they will either get a short term extension ala Bortles or, the 5th year option + franchise tag treatment. I think both are busts but this is a bad draft to need a QB and they've already won too many games to be in contention. Placeholder QBs with an off chance of figuring it out but mostly killing time until they get their next guy.

I expect Tampa to clean house after the season (unless we miraculously turn it around) and I don’t think we’d have many GM/HC candidates if the owners insisted on Winston being the guy.

Short term stop gap extension until the new QB is drafted and then he’s on his way. The guy appears to have some mental issues going on as he’s significantly regressed in the past few weeks and is making consistently terrible reads. Can’t live with that in year 4.

I think Winston is pretty much done at this point. He'll get some back-up roles and journeyman around for a while with some desperate teams but I don't see him go any higher than that.

Mariota isn't anything special but the Titans might not want to make a change there unless they know for a fact that they can upgrade.

Neither deserves an extension and whichever franchise gives either of them an extension is making a mistake. If you sign them to an extension you're simply binding yourself to never be anything more than mediocre at best. It's rather clear and obvious that neither of them are the guy to get you to the promiseland or even close to it frankly.

Archived