Early Bird or Night Owl

Dome

8 hours ago, Tyty said:

They do but they only do it at the start of each year I heard 

8 hours ago, Dome said:

You heard?

That's probably something you'd want to follow up on and get a concrete answer dude. Sleep apnea takes it's toll on ya, no reason to wait if you don't absolutely have to. 

This is a really common time for open enrollment @Tyty (when “they do it”).  I’d ask your manager or HR rep now.  Most employers allow you to sign up when you’re hired too, regardless of the time of year.

And domey is right, it’s hard as hell on your heart, which is a relatively important thing.

On 31/10/2018 at 10:35 AM, Dome said:

I guess I just don't understand what you're asking.... 

I do get a good night's sleep. I just don't need much sleep. I can do fine on 5-6 hours and that's usually about what I get. 

There's never been something you wanted to do more than sleep? I'm sure there has been a time where you didn't get a full 8 hours of sleep cause you wanted to do something else instead and prioritized that over sleep. 

Well, for me, most things are preferable to sleep. 

I mean, it kinda sounds like you've got that extra-irritating double-whammy of not only being an "early bird"...but also requiring way less sleep than normal people.

Like, yeah...i wish there were more hours in the day to spend on fun stuff i want to do.  That'd be swell.  Just shuffle some hours around and get more fun time for free!  Wooo!!!  But it's not that simple.  Biologically doesn't work that way. 

Regularly shuffling hours out of that 8+ sleep time just kinda makes everything suck.  Maybe borrow an hour or two of sleep here or there...but it's not really worth spending an extra hour or two on "fun stuff" instead of sleep regularly, when consistently getting less than 8 hours just makes the whole day miserable.  Being tired is really awful.  It's not that sleep itself is a real top shelf "fun" activity...but it's kinda imperative to feeling 100% rested, productive, and energized so you can actually truly enjoy the things you want to do, and make the other things more tolerable and efficient.

It's not like a "choice" to just spend a bunch of time sleeping instead of doing stuff.  It's a biological requirement.  Something you just kinda have to do in order to keep your mind and body functioning properly.

Outside of my years in the military, i've always been a night owl.

Right now, I work 2nd shift, and I usually fall asleep between 4am-6am and get anywhere from 4 to 8 hours of sleep a night, usually depending what shift my girlfriend works (nurse).   

Whenever I hear people say, "I don't know.  My eyelids just pop open every day at 5am," I think.....okay, sounds made up, but okay.  I cannot even imagine what that's like.

I'm pretty sure I would sleep indefinitely if I didn't have 4 alarms set between my two phones(personal and work).  And, when I do wake up, I feel like I was drugged.  Regardless of how much sleep I got.  Been that way my whole life.

Sometimes I think I'm semi-allergic to the sun.  I feel so lethargic during the day, but as soon as the sun goes down, I'm wide awake, alert, and energetic.  

So, long story short, I'm definitely a night-owl who has a day job and is honestly kind of bitter about that.  

Lifelong night owl who has fought with bouts if insomnia my whole life. I wish I was a morning person.

It was nothing for me to get my days and nights flipped during the summer. By the end of the 2nd week of summer vacation I was staying up till the sun came up and sleeping till 3 (if I could get away with it). I still do it. If I have a 5 day weekend I am up till the sun comes up by the 5th day. It's stupid.

On 07/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, Non-Issue said:

Lifelong night owl who has fought with bouts if insomnia my whole life. I wish I was a morning person.

It was nothing for me to get my days and nights flipped during the summer. By the end of the 2nd week of summer vacation I was staying up till the sun came up and sleeping till 3 (if I could get away with it). I still do it. If I have a 5 day weekend I am up till the sun comes up by the 5th day. It's stupid.

I feel this very strongly.  It's almost hilarious how effortless it is to flip to a practically nocturnal sleep schedule.  It's always taken me like a couple days, max.  Whereas just trying to feel like i'm not actually dead waking up in the morning takes like...months of discipline and miserable struggle.  It's just inordinately simpler to slide into that night owl schedule.

Even just on like a week vacation, it can be rough.  Some people just naturally fall asleep and wake up so early to try to "maximize" their vacation.  And i'm like..."already maxed it last night bro".  Nothing great is happening at 9am, i'm pretty sure.

19 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel this very strongly.  It's almost hilarious how effortless it is to flip to a practically nocturnal sleep schedule.  It's always taken me like a couple days, max.  Whereas just trying to feel like i'm not actually dead waking up in the morning takes like...months of discipline and miserable struggle.  It's just inordinately simpler to slide into that night owl schedule.

Even just on like a week vacation, it can be rough.  Some people just naturally fall asleep and wake up so early to try to "maximize" their vacation.  And i'm like..."already maxed it last night bro".  Nothing great is happening at 9am, i'm pretty sure.

Yep. You are clearly "one of us." 

And it's weird because I raised a bonafide morning person. She was a trip as a kid. She would wake up naturally way too early. At 8 she asked for her own alarm clock so she could get up at like 6am to start getting herself ready for school. As a teen she would go to sleepovers and be asleep by like 10 and all the other girls were up all night.

She would legitimately wake up in the morning wide awake. Like I would turn on her bedroom light and call her name and she would sit straight up and just start talking. Like she wasn't even asleep.

It was like raising an alien.

But my other daughter? Just like us. Indistinguishable from us. If left to herself she would never see the sun.

On 11/14/2018 at 2:25 AM, Tugboat said:

Whereas just trying to feel like i'm not actually dead waking up in the morning takes like...months of discipline and miserable struggle.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:53 AM, Ataal said:

I'm pretty sure I would sleep indefinitely if I didn't have 4 alarms set between my two phones(personal and work).  And, when I do wake up, I feel like I was drugged.

This describes me to the tee. It is a massive struggle for me to wake up in the morning too. Drugged/actually dead is the perfect way to put it.

On 11/14/2018 at 6:53 PM, Non-Issue said:

And it's weird because I raised a bonafide morning person. She was a trip as a kid. She would wake up naturally way too early. At 8 she asked for her own alarm clock so she could get up at like 6am to start getting herself ready for school. As a teen she would go to sleepovers and be asleep by like 10 and all the other girls were up all night.

She would legitimately wake up in the morning wide awake. Like I would turn on her bedroom light and call her name and she would sit straight up and just start talking. Like she wasn't even asleep.

Yeah in middle school and HS id be awake at 4-5am and my mom wanted me to see a doctor about it, sure that I was dying and this was a symptom lol 

now i I realize I was just a pain in the *** and she wanted it to stop lol

Archived