2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

6 hours ago, pnies20 said:

There are about 5 other DTs that will be 1/4 of the price and probably just as talented. That’s my only issue. That’s a lot of money.

This is the kind of contract that ties your hands/bites you on the butt down the road.

No thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

So you are saying 48 guys are replacement level?

Reality, as long as you have the franchise QB, everyone really is replaceable on the offense

You look at some of the best franchise QBs in the league you have seen them have 2 to 3 turnovers with their offensive weapons. 

Brady Brees Big Ben Rodgers Rivers Eli

they all saw turn over throughout their careers. M

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Suh and his massive one year deal?

Campbell signed a decent sized deal, 4/60, but it also has an out after 2 (now) with only 3 million in dead money. That’s a great deal if a top tier guy will sign it.

Jeffrey is the 14th highest paid WR in the league in avg salary.  Not crazy.  Less than the guy we paid just last year at the same position.

I’m not saying we can’t spend on a FA, if be surprised if we didn’t, but I’m not looking to drop 9 figures on one dude. 

Short term big money deals for would be great, but the top guys are gonna price themselves out of my interest most likely.

Some other Rams I forgot to include, Brandon Cooks and Aqib Talib.

Andrew Norwalk for the Jags.

Michael Bennett for Eagles.

Edited by candyman93

27 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Some other Rams I forgot to include, Brandon Cooks and Aqib Talib.

Talib was traded for and his contract isn’t even that bad tbh, like 10/yr.

Cooks was paid, for sure.  Dunno if I’d have paid him 6/88 personally.

Andrew Norwalk for the Jags.

I mean, yeah they paid him about what both of our G’s are making.  It’s not like we don’t spend.

And I’m not sure why you keep referencing the Jags, they just won 5 games.  It’s not as if they have things figured out.

Michael Bennett for Eagles.

Another middling contract tbh, like 7-8 per year.

I’m absolutely on board with a deal like that, especially for 2-3 years like Talib and Bennett as well as Suh who you mentioned before.

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Reality, as long as you have the franchise QB, everyone really is replaceable on the offense

You look at some of the best franchise QBs in the league you have seen them have 2 to 3 turnovers with their offensive weapons. 

Brady Brees Big Ben Rodgers Rivers Eli

they all saw turn over throughout their careers. M

Cant replace joel bitonio or zeitler easily.

19 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Did I say it be easy to replace players? No. But when you have a franchise QB. Just about everyone is interchangeable. 

Not really. Not at all, the only position where you get away with above average-good players is recievers, but everyone here is crapping their pants for obj. 

The Pat's usually have a solid offensive line and then 1-2 good-great skill players and then a bunch of part timers.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Not really. Not at all, the only position where you get away with above average-good players is recievers, but everyone here is crapping their pants for obj. 

The Pat's usually have a solid offensive line and then 1-2 good-great skill players and then a bunch of part timers.

Your helping my point tho using the Pats. Brady allows things to be interchangeable. The Pats let their franchise LT walk and replace him and yet still have a very solid OL. They have interchangeable parts on offense. They can plug and play. 

Also this was the same Pats that spent big on Cooks year before trying to give Brady another big weapon. Pats for awhile have tried to get Brady another beast WR to throw to since Gronk isn’t the same. Hence why they took the chance on Gordon.  Browns going after OBJ in a window that would allow its some stupid move. Now if the Browns were maxed out and were hurting for money yeah it be a dumb move.  Browns are in a position to pull a move like this.

by the time the contracts come up for Garrett Baker and them. You prolly could rework OBJs contract to free up the money. It’s what the Steelers did this year. They reworked ABs contract to get the money to afford Bell. Best part because of that it has made it extremely costly to trade AB. Reworking the deal creates a massive cap hit, something they didn’t work about because they didn’t think it would go sideways on them. 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Your helping my point tho using the Pats. Brady allows things to be interchangeable. The Pats let their franchise LT walk and replace him and yet still have a very solid OL. They have interchangeable parts on offense. They can plug and play. 

There offense relies on short drop backs and getting the ball out quick, they also have the best offensive line coach in the nfl. You will see however they routinely invest in their line with fa and draft picks. 

My point remains my point

Also this was the same Pats that spent big on Cooks year before trying to give Brady another big weapon. Pats for awhile have tried to get Brady another beast WR to throw to since Gronk isn’t the same. Hence why they took the chance on Gordon.  Browns going after OBJ in a window that would allow its some stupid move. Now if the Browns were maxed out and were hurting for money yeah it be a dumb move.  Browns are in a position to pull a move like this.

Brandon cooks is above average, two good teams have moved on from him. The pats are also exceptional qell coached and there scheme doesnt rely on superstars. They just won a superbowl without weapons. 

by the time the contracts come up for Garrett Baker and them. You prolly could rework OBJs contract to free up the money. It’s what the Steelers did this year. They reworked ABs contract to get the money to afford Bell. Best part because of that it has made it extremely costly to trade AB. Reworking the deal creates a massive cap hit, something they didn’t work about because they didn’t think it would go sideways on them. 

It still isnt a good idea. Also OBJ hasn't played great since his injury, he is not yet as explosive as he was.

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

There offense relies on short drop backs and getting the ball out quick, they also have the best offensive line coach in the nfl. You will see however they routinely invest in their line with fa and draft picks. 

My point remains my point

Brandon cooks is above average, two good teams have moved on from him. The pats are also exceptional qell coached and there scheme doesnt rely on superstars. They just won a superbowl without weapons. 

It still isnt a good idea. Also OBJ hasn't played great since his injury, he is not yet as explosive as he was.

Hey guess what the browns have one of the best OL coaches in the league now. They routine invest in be OL in the draft and FA cause the ones that get too expensive they let walk cause they know they can plug and play. Pats can go plug and play because of their QB. Browns could be the same way with Baker. Baker is still young so I rather surround him with the best talent as possible to help him grow and develop  

Actually their scheme is based around a superstar, Tom Brady. Pats know they are lacking an amazing offensive threat. Hence why they took a chance on Gordon. Because of that they had to change schemes. Pats relied on Brady to make the smart throw instead of the big throw all night in the Super Bowl.  That was the best plan. Brady looked fine going shot for shot with KC in the AFCCG  

How is OBJ suppose to be explosive when he doesn’t have a good QB throwing him the ball? Eli is complete garbage now. He still went 77 catches1000+ yes and 6 TDs. Not bad for 12 games. Now let’s see what he could do if he was in a Cleveland base offense. Freddie and Monk’s passing attack is going to be a lot more friendlier than what the Giants have been utilizing. 

If Free Agency nets us 

FRANK CLARK, CLEVELAND BROWNS

The Browns need someone to pair with Myles Garrett, and John Dorsey will certainly be one of the GM’s willing to take in Clark’s checkered past.

prediction from profootballfocus.com

and

Bleacher Report predicts WR Adam Humphries signs with Browns

would that be considered a successful offseason?

13 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

If Free Agency nets us 

The Browns need someone to pair with Myles Garrett, and John Dorsey will certainly be one of the GM’s willing to take in Clark’s checkered past.

and

I think Frank Clark or Dee Ford in itself would make it a success in my book. Then we just need a DT, CB2, and OLB (for when we drop Collins like a bad habbit) and that might just be a SB winning Defense imo

28 minutes ago, Horseunit said:

If Free Agency nets us 

and

Humphries wants 8 million a year. I say no thanks. He is strictly a slot guy. I would much rather spend that money on keeping Higgins and Perriman and drafting a mid round WR. Jarvis, Duke, Calloway and Njoku are plenty enough targets for slot weapons.

Edited by TheeRealDeal
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Humphries wants 8 million a year. I say no thanks. He is strictly a slot guy. I would much rather spend that money on keeping Higgins and Perriman and drafting a mid round WR. Jarvis, Duke, Calloway and Njoku are plenty enough targets for slot weapons.

Yes we’re already paying a slot guy a ton of money. I don’t know why media folks keep saying this. It makes No sense.

• Like 1