2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

31 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

So I'm interested to see which of the three draft scenarios you guys would be more interested in and why. Pick a number. 

#1.    1. Deandre Baker, CB   2. Kelvin Harmon, WR    3. Germaine Pratt, LB    3. Jaylon Ferguson, DE

#2.    1. DK Metcalf, WR    2. Devin Bush, LB    3. JoeJuan Williams, CB    3. Yodny Cajuste, OT

#3.    1. Christian Wilkins, DT    2. Trayvon Mullen, CB   3. Chase Winovich    3. David Sills V, WR

#2 I like all of those players, but I think each of those players will be taken before we make our selections in each of those rounds.

scenario #1 I really only care for Harmon of that bunch

scenario #3 Wilkins is the only player that peaks my interest.

#4 1. Jeffery Simmons, DT  2. Jace Sternberger, TE 3. Mercole Hardman WR, 3. Christian Miller, LB

Edited by Horseunit

55 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

So I'm interested to see which of the three draft scenarios you guys would be more interested in and why. Pick a number. 

#1.    1. Deandre Baker, CB   2. Kelvin Harmon, WR    3. Germaine Pratt, LB    3. Jaylon Ferguson, DE

This is my personal least favorite. I can't say that I love any of those guys personally.

#2.    1. DK Metcalf, WR    2. Devin Bush, LB    3. JoeJuan Williams, CB    3. Yodny Cajuste, OT

From a sheer talent perspective, this looks fantastic. However, we don't address DE/DT at all, so I think that's about worst case scenario, unless we get 2 quality guys in free agency. I also can't see Dorsey drafting a WR in the 1st, but I could be wrong. Bush I like a lot, but with our other LB's and Avery potentially in the mix there as well, I'm not sure that we need another one, especially that high.

#3.    1. Christian Wilkins, DT    2. Trayvon Mullen, CB   3. Chase Winovich    3. David Sills V, WR

I'm driving the Wilkins train at #17. Winovich, while athletically limited, can be a nice situational piece. Mullen is very raw but very physical, so I think he has some potential as a CB#2 in the 2nd round. I actually REALLY like Sills and think that's a perfect fit. He's a big bodied and fluid route runner with pretty sure hands. He's a Red Zone guy for sure.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

There’s so much money out there. The teams with top end free agents have money to pay them. I think we’re all going to be disappointed what’s going to be out there. We’ll be lucky to get McCoy or suh on short term deals and other guys who get cut. Those young pass rushers won’t be out there. 

The Pats are the team to keep an eye on in regards to losing guys. BB is stingy. Trey Flowers is the guy I want.

14 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:
24 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The Pats are the team to keep an eye on in regards to losing guys. BB is stingy. Trey Flowers is the guy I want.

But do we trust those guys outside of that system? 

This is exactly what I worry about when it comes to Flowers.  Is he good because he is a great player and can play in any system or did the system help him overall.  I do have a bit of a hesitation when it comes to Patriots players.

Peace!!!

21 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

But do we trust those guys outside of that system? 

Here’s how I judge guys leaving New England: Do they have raw, natural, God given talent that translates anywhere (ala Chandler Jones, Richard Seymour)? I think Flowers does. Now, I wouldn’t touch a single NE linebacker or secondary member (except Gilmore). I think their back 7 is scheme dependent.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

I have had the thought for a long time that we need to add a legit backup QB behind Baker Mayfield but I was looking at QB contracts and I had to ask myself why?

What is the point in spending starter money on a backup QB when the reality is if your franchise guy goes down you are screwed?

Bridgewater 6 mil, Glennon 4 million, Daniels, 5 million, McCarrion 4.5 million are all taking up enough cap space that a starter at RB, OG, OC, TE, LB or SA could have been added and depending on the player even a WR, CB or DLineman. Even if its not a starter depth is very important at every single position on a roster except QB, PK, PT and LS, so why would you spend a significant amount to have a backup at either position?

I mocked Trevor Siemian to us in the free agency in my only mock so far, but from this point on I am out on the theory we need a good backup. I would take a wait and see approach if I were Dorsey because there will be some veterans cut that could be picked up during the season if something did happen to Baker. I would use the money to sign a guy who could help make a legit Super Bowl run before I spent money on a backup QB.

Another scary thing I noticed while looking at QB contracts; the top 6 paid QBs in the NFL all missed the playoffs and 7 of the Top 9 paid. Only 7 of the 12 playoff QBs were even in the Top 25 highest paid QBs. One of those 7 was also Joe Flacco who was no longer the starter.

It got me to thinking about the future of the Browns and it really all boils down to if we made the right call on Baker Mayfield's character and desire to win. If we found a QB who would rather win(Brady) than stroke his ego(Rodgers) and is willing to take slight discount in order to field a competent team then we are set. If Baker Mayfield is after a record breaking contract at every turn like so many QBs these days then we will be stuck in limbo just like so many teams now.

• Like 2

@buckeyesNut0623

Trevor simien is a great plan for a back up. 

If Baker goes down for 2-4 games we want someone who could take us to .500. 

Semien is like a poor ma s Baker and he has played well in spots. 

I'd be happy for us to draft a qb in the 4th as well this year or probably next year once we move on from Stanton. 

It is great if you can get picks for your back up qb. Green bay did it with Hasselbeck, Pat's did it with jimmy g and brissett. It is one way to appreciate the pick. Hell the Bengals nearly pulled off the most lopsided trade since h walkerr with McCarron.

@TheeRealDeal not nut. 

Edited by Kiwibrown

25 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I have had the thought for a long time that we need to add a legit backup QB behind Baker Mayfield but I was looking at QB contracts and I had to ask myself why?

What is the point in spending starter money on a backup QB when the reality is if your franchise guy goes down you are screwed?

Bridgewater 6 mil, Glennon 4 million, Daniels, 5 million, McCarrion 4.5 million are all taking up enough cap space that a starter at RB, OG, OC, TE, LB or SA could have been added and depending on the player even a WR, CB or DLineman. Even if its not a starter depth is very important at every single position on a roster except QB, PK, PT and LS, so why would you spend a significant amount to have a backup at either position?

I mocked Trevor Siemian to us in the free agency in my only mock so far, but from this point on I am out on the theory we need a good backup. I would take a wait and see approach if I were Dorsey because there will be some veterans cut that could be picked up during the season if something did happen to Baker. I would use the money to sign a guy who could help make a legit Super Bowl run before I spent money on a backup QB.

Another scary thing I noticed while looking at QB contracts; the top 6 paid QBs in the NFL all missed the playoffs and 7 of the Top 9 paid. Only 7 of the 12 playoff QBs were even in the Top 25 highest paid QBs. One of those 7 was also Joe Flacco who was no longer the starter.

It got me to thinking about the future of the Browns and it really all boils down to if we made the right call on Baker Mayfield's character and desire to win. If we found a QB who would rather win(Brady) than stroke his ego(Rodgers) and is willing to take slight discount in order to field a competent team then we are set. If Baker Mayfield is after a record breaking contract at every turn like so many QBs these days then we will be stuck in limbo just like so many teams now.

This is absolutely terrible logic. What if baker only goes down for a a few drives or just a couple games? We have some scrub come in and lose us game that could have gotten us into the playoffs. We have too much to play for right now. We need someone who can step in and keep the team afloat competently for a short period of time. Trevor siemon would be a waste of a roster spot. Backup qb should be one of our top priorities this offseason. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

This is absolutely terrible logic. What if baker only goes down for a a few drives or just a couple games? We have some scrub come in and lose us game that could have gotten us into the playoffs. We have too much to play for right now. We need someone who can step in and keep the team afloat competently for a short period of time. Trevor siemon would be a waste of a roster spot. Backup qb should be one of our top priorities this offseason. 

What If he does down for a few drives or only game or two? Well then Drew Stanton is more than capable and only makes 3 million.

6 and 8 million dollar backups are stupid especially if you carry 3 QBs.

1 minute ago, TheeRealDeal said:

What If he does down for a few drives or only game or two? Well then Drew Stanton is more than capable and only makes 3 million.

6 and 8 million dollar backups are stupid especially if you carry 3 QBs.

No Stanton is absolutely not capable of doing that. Drew Stanton should never keep us from signing someone. If there’s someone better you cut him and sign the other guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

What about Ryan Fitzpatrick?  He worked WELL with Todd Monken in Tampa Bay, he could be the backup to help coach Baker but in the end can win games if worse comes to worse...

• Like 4

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero confirms the Chiefs are expected to franchise tag free agent Dee Ford.

GM Brett Veach himself more or less confirmed this two weeks ago. The Chiefs have until March 5 to formally apply the tag. The sides will then have four months to negotiate a long-term contract.

Feb 19, 2019, 5:57 PM