THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

10 minutes ago, buno67 said:

true but when Campbell took over as the HC at Iowa St, he completely rebuilt the staff I believe. Riley being promoted from OC to HC, he kept together the coaching staff. The DC, Mike Stoops has been the DC for close to 12 years. He gave him his shot and it prolly helped having him on staff during his first year as the HC to help with the transition. 

Riley firing Stoops is him coaching both sides of the ball. 

Also Riley isnt coaching both sides of the ball, dude is controlling the aspect of that offense. It be like saying McVay coaches both. He allows Wade to run that rams defense without him interfering. 

Also, McVay doesn't have to coach his defense because he has one of the all time greats doing it. Now, if Wade retires and he ends up hiring a young DC, he might be more inclined to get hands on with a struggling unit. Or what's he supposed to do, tell his assistant, "I don't know what you're doing, but do it better,"?? C'mon, man!

1 hour ago, Vladimir L said:

Gregg Williams always gets screwed. He should have been the redskins head coach after Gibbs but Snyder screwed him. Keep things the way they are if the Browns win out.

Yeah we went to crap conservative mode in the second half. No thanks. Put your foot on their throat and push down harder. Our defense is too shakey to go conservative. Give me a coach that plays to win. 

My two favorites so far are Arians if he can not use the 7 step drop back for Mayfield and cater to him, and Campbell who has turned teams into respectable programs. Don’t give a crap about his offensive system. He coaches to his players strengths. 

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Dabo Swinney....? Him and Kitchens know each other from Alabama so Dabo could get him to stay.

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Weaken one of OSUs competitors and bring in a good coach. 

He seems like a college coach though and has a good thing going there but stranger things have happened. 

Dabo said this after the South Carolina game.

“And to you people who suggest it felt like a loss, y’all need to check yourself too,” Swinney said. “I’ve been here 16 years and for all those people out there who want to complain about five wins in a row and by winning by three touchdowns, man that’s shameful. That’s a lack of respect for our program and a lack of respect for the effort that these players and coaches put in. I hope you write that.

“The senior class has won 52 games and we’ve got people complaining. Give me a break. I’m going to say it one more time: we’ve had eight 10-plus win seasons, we’re 12-0. Third time in the history of this school we’ve won five state championships in a row. And when that’s not enough for some people, that’s sad. That’s sad.

“I ain’t ever going to apologize for a 21-point win over our rival. And winning five straight games over our rival. There’s been some articles pushed my way and some comments, I’m not gonna stand for that. Our program is not going to be like that. Our players work too hard. The goal is to win, period. I don’t want to ever be a program — ever — that doesn’t appreciate winning.

“Just look around college football, there’s a lot of people that would love to have the program that we have here, I can tell you that. 12-0 ain’t good enough? Then it’s time for me to seek other places. Make sure you get that.”

2 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Also, McVay doesn't have to coach his defense because he has one of the all time greats doing it. Now, if Wade retires and he ends up hiring a young DC, he might be more inclined to get hands on with a struggling unit. Or what's he supposed to do, tell his assistant, "I don't know what you're doing, but do it better,"?? C'mon, man!

Thats what  Riley did tho. He trusted Stoops as long as possible because of his history with the program. When he wasnt able to get the job done, he fired him. If I have one of the best offensive minded coaches in the nation, or if I am the best offensive-minded coach in the nation, why would you have him focus on trying to fix the defense. He can offer help when he is doing preparing the offense for the week. Not going to let the offense struggle because im gonna ask the OC to start trying to fix the defense. Its like CIncy hiring Hue Jackson to help fix the defense. 

We all thought Pettine was stupid to stop working with the defense because he wanted to be more invovled in the offense. Stay in your lane and stick to what your good at. If you hire a HC to be the offensive guru, he needs to stick with what he knows. Just needs to retool his defense. 

10 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Because the jump to the pros from a big school is large enough. Coming from a smaller is an even larger change. I want someone who is ready to come in right now with a track record of winning and championships. Not someone who just did well with lesser talent. 

what would you consider a better resume? A coach who was handed a great program and just keeping the train rolling or the guy who completely transformed and built up a program and made them extremely competitive. 

I wouldnt call what Campbell has done with Iowa St as just well with lesser talent. Dude has consistently gotten his team to compete and upset teams that are greatly better than his squad. Like last year, Iowa St had no reason in beating Oklahoma. Hell look at Harbs at Michigan, he has never won a game as an underdog at Michigan

Just now, hornbybrown said:

I’m starting to love the idea of Arians for two years to groom Kitchens to take over. As long as Kitchens knows this is the plan and agrees with it

I want to see more out of Freddie, Arians i am just not sure about, he has never been an amazing coach. 

11 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Thats what  Riley did tho. He trusted Stoops as long as possible because of his history with the program. When he wasnt able to get the job done, he fired him. If I have one of the best offensive minded coaches in the nation, or if I am the best offensive-minded coach in the nation, why would you have him focus on trying to fix the defense. He can offer help when he is doing preparing the offense for the week. Not going to let the offense struggle because im gonna ask the OC to start trying to fix the defense. Its like CIncy hiring Hue Jackson to help fix the defense. 

We all thought Pettine was stupid to stop working with the defense because he wanted to be more invovled in the offense. Stay in your lane and stick to what your good at. If you hire a HC to be the offensive guru, he needs to stick with what he knows. Just needs to retool his defense. 

I see both sides. We're not that far from each other.

I just hope whatever the decision is that they keep Williams as DC. I really like how the players respond to him and how aggressive/turnover prone the defense is. Its been a while but the Browns defense finally plays with a attitude and is not just a revolving door of random guys stuck in a cookie cutter 'bend but dont break' scheme.

33 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah we went to crap conservative mode in the second half. No thanks. Put your foot on their throat and push down harder. Our defense is too shakey to go conservative. Give me a coach that plays to win. 

We won a divisional game by 2 scores (should have been 3 if avery doesnt get a roughing the passer on 4th down) and you still can’t give him credit? It’s a shame that we finally have a win streak and win a road game and it’s still not good enough for some people. 

Just now, CleBrowns07 said:

We won a divisional game by 2 scores (should have been 3 if avery doesnt get a roughing the passer on 4th down) and you still can’t give him credit? It’s a shame that we finally have a win streak and win a road game and it’s still not good enough for some people. 

I get what hes saying, but the Browns were never out of control of the game. They had such a big lead (4 scores?) that they could afford to just milk clock in the 2nd half. The game was never really in danger. We just knew by going conservative there was no way they could make up a 3-4 TD deficit with a shrinking clock.

Archived