Would Tebow be on a team if he were willing to be a gadget player?

Elky

With the rise of Taysom Hill as NO's swiss army knife, it got me thinking: what if Tebow was willing to play in this role?

As we all know, Tebow ended up being out of the league due to his insistence on being a full-time QB (and among other things) and the simple fact he's not cut out for that type of role. However, he has shown he can make plays with the ball in his hands. With this in mind, would Tebow be on a team right now if he he accepted being a gadget player like Hill?

31 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'd say no; for two reasons.

One, I don't think he's the special athlete Hill is. And two, the media storm surrounding his return - and sheer presence for that matter - would supersede his value as a player.

And three, I think he's much worse of a thrower than hill.  And Hill isn't special by any means.

Tebow would have been on a team if Peyton Manning wasn’t a free agent, the Broncos were incredibly lucky the once in a generation free pass came out the year Tebow won a playoff game. Any other scenario and they’d never have gotten away with it 

At 31, I don't know about still, but he definitely could have stuck around the league a lot longer if he was willing to give up the dreams of being a pure QB. He doesn't have Hill's speed but he's definitely a stronger runner between the tackles. I think people are selling Tebow short if they downplay his athleticism and ability with the ball in his hands. The thing is didn't the Jets try to employ him as a gadget player? It just didn't work. It takes to two tango for a player like Hill or Tebow to be effective as gadget players, you need a creative offensive head coach to maximize your talents. Payton's done a great job of it with Hill, but he's also something of an offensive genius, so who knows if Tebow ever finds himself with that kind of coach who can use him effectively. 

Archived