Media obsession with putting Rodgers in the GOAT convo

King Joffrey

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

If Manning and Marino are in the conversation, then so is Rodgers.  Marino has zero rings, and Manning has one earned ring.  

Now I wouldn't put him ahead of either on the all time list.  But it can certainly be debated whether or not he's actually better than some QBs at the top of the list.

manning has 2 rings. we cant cherry pick which ones are "earned"

13 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

So that second ring puts him above someone he would not otherwise be above?

not automatically. it gets factored in though

but its still a feat to win 3 playoff games in a year, and he played decent in the first 2 playoff games

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

not automatically. it gets factored in though

but its still a feat to win 3 playoff games in a year, and he played decent in the first 2 playoff games

Yes, he played decently in the playoffs.  I'm just saying, I don't rank Manning any higher or lower whether or not he has that second ring.

Being the most gifted QB to play the game doesn't make you the best or even in the conversation. I say this as someone who LOVES Rodgers and hates Brady. For all the superiority that Rodgers may have he has been greatly outpaced by Brady even if you just go from the 2010 season to the present. 

4 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Yes, he played decently in the playoffs.  I'm just saying, I don't rank Manning any higher or lower whether or not he has that second ring.

ok, makes sense

currently, id put peyton above rodgers

maybe in 4 years, rodgers will overtake him for me

It’s just opinion when it comes down to it. 

Team accomplishments don’t make or break a player for me, especially in a sport like football.

And I don’t believe there is a true goat QB in NFL history. Different eras and teams and circumstances. 

With Rodgers I didn’t need to hear about SBs or read his resume, I could see with my eyes that I was watching a man play the position better than anyone else I've seen. To me that is the best ever. To others it’s about post season success.

To each his own. 

19 minutes ago, Classic said:

Aaron Rodgers IS the best Quarterback ever. We will all come around to accepting this truth. Our Patriots friends and families will understand in their own due time. :)

You sure it’s not Rivers when he wins 6 SBs in a row and then retires?

Rodgers has 10 playoff wins (10-7 in the playoffs) and 36 career playoff TDs

Brady has 14 playoff wins(14-7) and 35 TDs if you ONLY count AFCCGs and Super Bowls.

Rodgers is a candle to Brady's sun. Any other GoaT hot take is laughable.

We are talking about a guy who has a 74.3 rating over 3 combined NFCCGs.

You can make a strong argument that he does not even make the top 2 list of greatest Packers QBs.

• Starr won 2 Super Bowls (9-1 in the playoffs)
    • He had a 133.1 rating in 2 NFCCGs.
    • He won another 3 championships before the Super Bowl Era
  • Favre won a Super Bowl and got to another (13-11 in the playoffs)
    • He had an 83.7 rating over 5 NFCCGs

Rodgers has nothing like throwing for 505 in a Super Bowl, or coming back from 28-3, or coming back on the #1 D while down 10 points in the 4th quarter of another Super Bowl.

• He barely beat Jay Cutler to get to his one Super Bowl with a 55 rating in that NFCCG. (BJ Raji had a pick 6)
  • His 31-25 Super Bowl was aided by a pick 6 and a Mendenhall fumble, so don't pretend Rodgers ever won something on his own talent.

You can have an opinion that Doug Pedersen was the greatest Packers QB of all time if you like.

Its just as valid as thinking Rodgers is better than Brady. (as in not at all valid)

Brady before 4 rings:

*Manning>Brady* - “Manning has better stats.”

Brady before 5 rings:

*Montana>Brady* - “He’s 4-0 in the SB, bro. You can’t beat perfection.”

Brady after 5 rings:

*Rodgers>Brady* - “It’s a team game dude, wins aren’t everything. Rodgers has no help.”

There’ll always be something. But anyway, yeah, it is interesting how Rodgers seemingly skipped over Brees/Peyton/Montana/anyone else you want in your top-all-time list. That’s the nature of it though.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, if you put ARod with BB there are at least 2-3 SB’s.   BB is a 3-4 WAR coach.  

You put Brady with McCarthy he may have remained the backup his whole career and I’d be married to Gisele.   Ok the last part is a stretch.  :D

(But seriously McCarthy is a -2 to -3 WAR coach).

3-4 WAR coach. 

Without Brady: 55-63. 

Also Rodgers was a very different QB in college when he entered the league. McCarthy pretty much made Rodgers the QB he became when he worked on him those 3 years he sat on the bench. Belichick never really had that track record with any of Brady's backups.

It's too much of a catch 22. Nobody knows how Rodgers would have developed without McCarthy.

Archived