N64 Classic Edition

carrolljcmc

18 hours ago, Norm said:

Have you guys played GoldenEye lately? Holy **** the controls are so foreign these days. 

I tried a while back (that was maybe 2-3 years ago).  I can't aim anymore.  It used to be pretty fluid for me, but anymore i get caught shooting at someone's feet and i can't correct it.

I haven't gone back to it since then.  

8 hours ago, theJ said:

I tried a while back (that was maybe 2-3 years ago).  I can't aim anymore.  It used to be pretty fluid for me, but anymore i get caught shooting at someone's feet and i can't correct it.

I haven't gone back to it since then.  

The remake they made for the Wii wasn't half bad.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:30 PM, MKnight82 said:

So are the games HD remakes or original?  Have you tried playing Ocarina of Time lately?  Its rough.  The graphics are so fuzzy I have no idea how I used to control it with such precision.  

Were using a modern TV? Cannot do that with old consoles, I forget what it's called, but there's a name for the process these modern HDTVs do to be able to display stuff through an AV cord input, and it makes it especially rough. Use a CRT, and they look fine. Also there are converting devices that can act as middle mam between your TV input and console output that improves the situation, but obviously cannot match the CRT.

As far as gameplay with N64, a few years back I went through a whole bunch of N64 classics. They all aged fine to me. I might be a bit of an outlier though as even DK64, which is notorious for having not aged well, was just as fun as I remembered. Only Banjo-Tooie I couldn't do, it was literally unplayable to me, the lag was just so bad. Going from Kazooie, no lag, to Tooie, which the system just struggled to run, was impossible so I had to go and play it on the Xbox Arcade. 

I love the N64. I still have a CRT TV and 64 set up, even have 2 backup consoles, so logically no real reason for me to get this... but I still think I will get it.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:11 AM, Lions017 said:

Nintendo needs to figure out what they want to do with their classic games. Having them available on the Switch is nice, but right now it's just NES games. They're sitting on a goldmine with SNES, N64, and GameCube. 

I imagine it's a little more complex rights wise than that and that's the basis for the hold up?

On 11/19/2018 at 12:11 PM, Lions017 said:

Nintendo needs to figure out what they want to do with their classic games. Having them available on the Switch is nice, but right now it's just NES games. They're sitting on a goldmine with SNES, N64, and GameCube. 

As I just completed another run-through of the three Rogue Squadron games, I agree.  

On 11/21/2018 at 1:01 PM, Norm said:

I imagine it's a little more complex rights wise than that and that's the basis for the hold up?

Not really, considering that they own the rights to most of their heavy hitters. They don't even have their own post-NES first party games available for purchase or anything on the Switch. 

9 hours ago, Spartacus said:

How did you play them? I love those games but haven't been able to emulate them successfully. 

The first console I had as a kid was N64.  I have saved all of them ever since and I never traded games or consoles in, so I play them on the original console.  

I believe the first Rogue Squadron was also a PC game as well, not sure about the sequels however. 

Archived