Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Get excited now for an off-season spent being told about how Lamar was just a product of Roman's offense. 

Yeah, I’ve been noticing that trend building lately too. Saw when it first started to pick up steam like 8-10 weeks ago with Mangini, who is a noted Lamar hater... had to find someway to discredit him while giving minimal credit... so he complimented Lamar but gave the credit to Roman. Now it’s picking up steam.

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Get excited now for an off-season spent being told about how Lamar was just a product of Roman's offense. 

Do I think Lamar is a product of Roman's offense? Absolutely not.

Do I have faith that another OC is going to keep putting Lamar in the best possible situations to succeed like Roman did? No, I do not.

Product of Roman's offense? GTFOH! If that was the case, EJ Manuel and Josh Johnson wouldn't have been trashcan. Media makes me laugh. Now if they wanna talk about systems, they need to take a look up there in Foxborough because Matt Cassel was 100% trashcan after leaving. While I think Jacoby Brissett is a better QB, he isn't exactly blazing a trail either.

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Do I think Lamar is a product of Roman's offense? Absolutely not.

Do I have faith that another OC is going to keep putting Lamar in the best possible situations to succeed like Roman did? No, I do not.

He dragged us to the playoffs before even figuring out his passing mechanics with friggin Marty Morwhinwheg as his OC. 

Roman has been an awesome fit for Lamar.  And I hope we somehow convince him to stay. But the situation to succeed isn't just Greg Roman.  Lamar's the special one here, not the OC who every fanbase who had him seemingly hated up till he found Lamar. 

Hope to see us bring in someone who can help in run game play design.  But Harbs knows infrastructure. And we have the goddamn MVP. We're gonna be ok. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

He dragged us to the playoffs before even figuring out his passing mechanics with friggin Marty Morwhinwheg as his OC. 

Marty was calling the plays, but that offense was still designed by Roman, make no mistake about it.

Roman has been an awesome fit for Lamar.  And I hope we somehow convince him to stay. But the situation to succeed isn't just Greg Roman.  Lamar's the special one here, not the OC who every fanbase who had him seemingly hated up till he found Lamar. 

Roman's offense was still very good with other QB's who are way worse than Lamar. He brought Kaepernick to a Superbowl. He made Tyrod Taylor look serviceable. Everywhere he goes, when he gets a mobile QB, he puts up good numbers. I have no idea why other fanbases hated him, tbh. His run games were ALWAYS dominant.

Hope to see us bring in someone who can help in run game play design.  But Harbs knows infrastructure. And we have the goddamn MVP. We're gonna be ok. 

Run game play design? Our run game play design is arguably the best in the league. If anything, we need pass game design.

So this isn’t necessarily Ravens related obviously but it makes me look back to our first game against them and our victory. I don’t think as much of these “tells” were known and thus not as readily able to exploit. If we have to face them in the playoffs our passing attack might have a few more big plays available to them based off of manipulating these tendencies... such as we’ve seen in recent weeks.

This also makes me think about what kind of season Marlon Humphrey might be able to put together down the road as he’s got a similar athletic profile as Gilmore and is obviously an intelligent player as well.

That and it’s also a very good video breakdown of that Patriots defensive secondary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Hey guys looking for a bit of insight...how was your OL under Juan Castillo? What kind of scheme did you guys run? Did he develop anyone upfront? Thanks in advance for the info.

Castillo is a zone scheme guy iirc.  There was one year where he was the OL coach where the run game was good (but that was the year Kubiak was the OC and Rick Dennison was here too), but then it fell away.  The year that he was the "run game coordinator" our OL was atrocious.

One thing that would point towards him being a decent OL coach is that Kelechi Osemele and Ricky Wagner developed during his time here to the point that they were both high-priced FAs

• Like 1