Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

@diamondbull424 I saw you getting into the subject when talking about Lamar's MVP merits and it has to be said. The same line that could be a part of the greatest rushing attack in history- is not too distant from the line that couldn't bust some runs to save their life when Flacco was QB. To start 2018 our run game was dead in the water. The attack/turnaround Lamar has facilitated is incredible. 

Honestly I’m glad the Ravens have the path of difficult defenses that we have upcoming because if Lamar is to win the MVP this year, the only way for him to do it is for him to literally have nothing left to prove. I mean, he crushes the Patriots defense and it’s because they were incredibly overrated.

If this offense can drop 30 points on the 49ers, Rams, and Texans plus come away with wins... I would hope more of these analysts would be forced to change their tune. Suddenly the Ravens are considered a real threat, but Lamar is still not considered a real threat by stat watch enthusiasts and I’m sure the backlash would be crazy if Lamar was awarded the MVP considering his passing numbers, even if his resume is stacked otherwise.

... though who am I kidding. Clearly a win against the Texans would simply prove that Watson and the Texans are overrated. A win against an undefeated 49ers team would simply prove that they were never a true contender. And with the Rams a win there would just show that the Super Bowl hangover is real. The much more important defining games for Lamar would be the loss to the lowly Browns and the “terrible defense” Chiefs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Dolphins ripped their team off any talent to build from ground up - 1 win thus far.

Browns, investing picks and cap in high profile talent to finally get to a positive record (at the very least) are at 2 wins.

can't make this ish up. same old Browns. 

What’s also interesting is that the Dolphins can see their future. By stripping the team of so much talent, they are following in the same footsteps as the Browns... who many thought had turned it around due to that strategy. But making your culture more about losing then winning is never a winning position.

The only thing I find different in this scenario if that the Dolphins HC seems to be the right guy for the job and has inspired this bottom basement roster to play hard for him and I could see that team, same as I said in the beginning of the season, getting to 3 wins and everyone laughed at me.

They play the Jets one more time, they play the meltdown Browns, they get the Giants, and also play the Bengals... I can easily see them parlaying their current momentum into two more wins against that schedule.

So far my Lamar MVP convo prediction has come to pass and I’m feeling very confident about both my Ravens 12-4 prediction as well as my Dolphins win 3 games prediction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

By stripping the team of so much talent, they are following in the same footsteps as the Browns... who many thought had turned it around due to that strategy. But making your culture more about losing then winning is never a winning position.

I agree, the whole concept of "Tanking" is moronic.

So far my Lamar MVP convo prediction has come to pass and I’m feeling very confident about both my Ravens 12-4 prediction as well as my Dolphins win 3 games prediction.

Remember when we played the Cardinals- recognized they had some ability, and everyone said they wouldn't win any games either? No one ever believes us in NFL General lol ;).

• Like 1

Honestly I’m glad the Ravens have the path of difficult defenses that we have upcoming because if Lamar is to win the MVP this year, the only way for him to do it is for him to literally have nothing left to prove.

Beating another MVP candidate in DeShaun Watson and ending the potential undefeated streak of the 49ers when we play them are two biggies hanging out there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Beating another MVP candidate in DeShaun Watson and ending the potential undefeated streak of the 49ers when we play them are two biggies hanging out there.

Honestly. I think their D is good but we should be able to shut down Jimmy G if our D remains healthy. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

13 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Honestly. I think their D is good but we should be able to shut down Jimmy G if our D remains healthy. 

Kittle is elite and Sanders is having a great year. Plus their running game is no joke. I like our chances too, but it'll be big test.

Their defense will be the closest to the Chargers' one we faced twice last year too. They have a front that can completely overwhelm ours, potentially disrupting our offense to a significant degree. To the best of my knowledge they don't have hybrid LB/S players like the Chargers did in Adrian Phillips and Derwin James though.

Both them and the Rams are the two teams I really want to see how we perform against.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I agree, the whole concept of "Tanking" is moronic.

Remember when we played the Cardinals- recognized they had some ability, and everyone said they wouldn't win any games either? No one ever believes us in NFL General lol ;).

So many of us came in and recognized how well the Cardinals actually played on both sides of the ball, but I think it was just in the process on getting down on Lamar. Cardinals have only improved and will be an interesting follow next year when their receiving talent have had a chance to get accustomed to the NFL and they can build a better oline.

I listen to a lot of podcasts on my daily commute and so many "experts" and fans are so convinced that "tanking for Tua", "Suck for Luck", etc. is the way to go to land that quarterback that can save your franchise. I really can't understand how they cannot see, that having that first or second pick in the draft is no guarantee they land a franchise QB who can save the team all by himself.

If we look at the last 10 years of Super Bowl winners, there are about 3 wins based on the QB's performance in his prime. Most of the wins are by overall solid teams with the Eli Manning and Joe Flaccos of the world, a young Russel Wilson before he was the player he is today, a Peyton Manning with no arm, a backup Nick Foles etc.

Teams should not tank (I don't think they purposely do), because when they do, they don't make them attractive to free agent talent, and when they have to aquire talent, they have to overpay to lure players there.

To get back to my QB argument, how many of the 1 and 2 picks in the draft have matured into quality starters for the last 10 years? 5-6 or less? We have the same or better QB talent chosen from 10-32 in the 1 round and later.

Imo proper roster building should be focused on constantly being competitive and playing/practicing in a competitive environment rather than having firesales and rely on 10 draft picks every year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

Teams should not tank (I don't think they purposely do), because when they do, they don't make them attractive to free agent talent, and when they have to aquire talent, they have to overpay to lure players there.

It also helps you lose the talent or potential filled players you already have on your roster too. The Dolphins were lucky to escape the trade deadline with some good players still there. Culture and continuity is such an important part of this whole thing and it just seems like 90% of the clubs in the NFL don't get that.

We're lucky to be fans of the Ravens. Maybe the strongest organization in the sport. We've transitioned to a young team with an offensive identity in the blink of an eye, and the arrow is only pointed up. These teams that suck right now, will still suck in the year 2030. Trickle down rot from lousy ownership and management.

I think drafting Clelin Ferrell where they did was really stupid, but Mayock's mission to change the culture of the Raiders is an early success. And they're that much closer to righting the ship. He seems to get it.

• Like 1

Another thought. With our interest in Jamal Adams, what are the chances they want Chuck Clark to convert to inside linebacker? Our defense has played well with him commanding the defense. He would have to gain about 10-15 pounds but I could see it happen if we continue to see so many light packages as we have seen Wink use.

Edited by Danand

They'll never call Clark that in name, but so many of our packages already only field one true LB. And most times that "LB" is a converted safety in Patrick Onwuasor. One of the biggest boons to taking the green dot off Mosley, Jefferson, and Peanut is preventing offenses from being able to constantly 'trap target' them on the field. We can rotate all of our LBs/Safeties depending on the situation and force the match ups we want or are comfortable with. 

I mean we already constantly see Clark down in the box relaying information to all levels, and he's one of the surest tacklers on the team. Wink loves to blitz him too. It's a natural fit for him. It helps squeeze all of our top CBs onto the field as well. With Carr now taking reps back at safety.

Clark and Jamal Adams are pretty interchangeable with their skill sets. And we all know how much Wink loves that. So going forward he might envision that same kind of symbiotic pairing between Elliot and Clark. Thus, he might not want them to drift too far away from the physical requirements of a Safety. Clark is still young so he'll continue to get a little Bigger/Stronger/Faster anyway.

25 minutes ago, Danand said:

especially if we can keep Wink in house as he seems better at rotating players. 

That's something pretty key. It looks like our coordinators, as everything stands right now, are going to be pretty hyped up going into the offseason.

Wink is on record saying that becoming a Head Coach is the ultimate goal for anyone in his field. Basically if it comes it comes, but he's happy where he's at. So if he gets the 'right' offer- he's probably going to take it and we'll need a new DC.

That said, so many GMs and Owners are chasing the 'Next McVay' that coaches on the other side of the ball just don't get as many looks. And Vic Fangio isn't exactly lighting it up in Denver, which will drag public perception of the DC to HC transition down even further(Right or Wrong). Toss Brian Flores into that equation as well. So I'm not convinced we're going to have anyone really knocking down our door to interview or hire Wink.

The Roman situation is more difficult to gauge. I think many will write him off as a coordinator that wants to play an archaic style of football, and one that can only work with plus mobility QBs like at the very least Alex Smith or 'gimmick' QBs like Lamar Jackson. On the flip side, maybe he could be interpreted as a main catalyst to Lamar's progression(We know he's not). If that's the case maybe he would get an offer from a team looking to install a Rookie QB. Who knows? 

Gun to my head, I'll say we retain both with no issue. With how things are around the league and how quickly head coaches get ousted. I think the general prestige of our franchise, combined with the rapidly ascending group of players we have. Should look an awful lot better to our coordinators, than even a Head Coach position for some bum team. Money can change the perception of that comparison, but teams aren't going to offer Roman or Martindale- Gruden level money.

Should be interesting going forward.

• Like 1