2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

17 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The bigger concern is... why isn't Gute participating in the "value" part of free agency?

Pushing all the chips in on Billy Turner (the weakest signing, IMO) in the first week seems like a horrible oversight given the current situation.

Not sure why you think they are pushing all the chips on Turner, they probably have more guard depth now than Tackle tbh. Drafted Jenkins in the 2nd round and now Madison is back. McCray is a decent backup as well.

Just now, Gopackgonerd said:

Not sure why you think they are pushing all the chips on Turner, they probably have more guard depth now than Tackle tbh. Drafted Jenkins in the 2nd round and now Madison is back. McCray is a decent backup as well.

spending all the remaining FA bucks on Turner.  Those chips.  Chips that could be spent on guys now rather than turner earlier.

39 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

spending all the remaining FA bucks on Turner.  Those chips.  Chips that could be spent on guys now rather than turner earlier.

What's this based on?

When did the Packers say they spent all their remaining FA money Turner?

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Depends if you want quality over quantity. And tbh we got a bit of both. Getting 4 starting cailber players in one offseason is really good. Could you got another player or 2? Sure but is it really gonna make or break our roster that much? Feel like we filled the rest of the roster enough in the draft

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

That might be an excellent sentiment in retrospect, but hindsight is always 20:20.  We may not have known at the time that Madison was coming back, although Gute probably did but didn't know how much he could depend on him.  We definitely didn't know that Jenkins would be available and be our second rounder.  I feel that the draft is best approached if you have filled your most glaring needs and can therefore select the best player available that improves your roster, rather than reach for someone to fill a critical hole.  Could we have gotten by without Turner, possibly, but I'm not sure we know yet how he is going to be used,

Bahktiari turns 28 this season. Next year is the last of his contract. I would think he could play well to 32. Maybe a three year extension. 

Lindsey is in the same spot. 28 this season, next year is his last. Three year extension maybe. 

Taylor is gonna be 30 this year. He’s signed through next year. He’ll be gone. 

Bulaga - 30 - injury prone. I would guess we move on from him

Even if Madison and Jenkins pan out, Turner can still slide to tackle next year and be a good addition for us over the next couple years. If Spriggs somehow learns how to play and Madison and Jenkins pan out, then the Turner  signing does look like overkill. I don’t think all of those things are going to happen though. Spriggs is a long shot and Madison is a long way from a site thing. 

Edited by boratt

11 hours ago, boratt said:

Bahktiari turns 28 this season. Next year is the last of his contract. I would think he could play well to 32. Maybe a three year extension. 

Lindsey is in the same spot. 28 this season, next year is his last. Three year extension maybe. 

Taylor is gonna be 30 this year. He’s signed through next year. He’ll be gone. 

Bulaga - 30 - injury prone. I would guess we move on from him

Even if Madison and Jenkins pan out, Turner can still slide to tackle next year and be a good addition for us over the next couple years. If Spriggs somehow learns how to play and Madison and Jenkins pan out, then the Turner  signing does look like overkill. I don’t think all of those things are going to happen though. Spriggs is a long shot and Madison is a long way from a site thing. 

Bakhtiari may get 6/105. 3 years is not even remotely realistic.

Turner sucks at Tackle. We have seen this in the NFL. If Spriggs isn't the answer at Tackle, we're going to have to draft one.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Bakhtiari may get 6/105. 3 years is not even remotely realistic.

Turner sucks at Tackle. We have seen this in the NFL. If Spriggs isn't the answer at Tackle, we're going to have to draft one.

Spriggs sucks at tackle. I read some bronco opinion that turner played ok at tackle last year in a couple spot starts. Spriggs has never had an ok NFL series let alone game. So Turner seems like a much better bet than Spriggs at tackle. 

I hope Spriggs somehow turns into a player but so far he’s just garbage. 

Edited by boratt