Broncos @ 49ers: Week 2 GDT

broncosfan07

14 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think Doss is a poor fit for the press man scheme we employ. He seems better suited for a zone or zone-man mix scheme. Running the press man scheme we do requires exceptionally talented CBs who have elite size, speed, athleticism and instincts. Fortunately we have several guys who fit that mold but Doss is not one of them. 

Chris Harris said last week it is more of a zone-man mix scheme than it was under Phillips FWIW.

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Chris Harris said last week it is more of a zone-man mix scheme than it was under Phillips FWIW.

Of course it is. Why play to your team's strengths? Another mistake by this coaching staff. The list of those is getting awfully long and it's only August. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, this team (cheapskate Joe Ellis in particular) is going to regret replacing a HOF DC with a rookie. 

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

Of course it is. Why play to your team's strengths? Another mistake by this coaching staff. The list of those is getting awfully long and it's only August. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, this team (cheapskate Joe Ellis in particular) is going to regret replacing a HOF DC with a rookie. 

I don't think it's deferring from strengths to add some zone looks to the defense. All man coverage is nice but you'll never produce enough turnovers and you can design plenty of plays to beat it without testing Talib or Harris. Now they will be reading the QB and jumping routes. Trust in talent.

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don't think it's deferring from strengths to add some zone looks to the defense. All man coverage is nice but you'll never produce enough turnovers and you can design plenty of plays to beat it without testing Talib or Harris. Now they will be reading the QB and jumping routes. Trust in talent.

Savvy QBs - and we play a few of them this year, Eli, Rivers, Brady, Luck - can exploit zone coverages and pick a defense apart irrespective of the talent. Combine a press man scheme, which our top 3 CBs can execute at a very high level, with our pass rush and you have an almost perfect pass defense. Playing zone takes away the biggest advantage our crop of talent possesses. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Savvy QBs - and we play a few of them this year, Eli, Rivers, Brady, Luck - can exploit zone coverages and pick a defense apart irrespective of the talent. Combine a press man scheme, which our top 3 CBs can execute at a very high level, with our pass rush and you have an almost perfect pass defense. Playing zone takes away the biggest advantage our crop of talent possesses. 

The Broncos played primarily a matchup zone scheme against the Patriots in the 2015 AFC title game. It isn't about the scheme, it's the talent. I'll trade more easy completions for more turnovers without a doubt. Talib and Harris' greatest strength is their intelligence, allowing them to follow the QB more often actually caters to that.

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Then why was I savaged yesterday for pointing it out?

You were savaged for continuing to bounce all over the spectrum with Bolles.  "This is what happens when you reach for need for a meat head with 1 year of D1 experience. "

Next week if he plays a clean game we'll have to put him in Canton.

I missed the game but sounds like things are shaking out how I predicted. Sounds like Barbre needs to be inserted into the starting lineup, no surprise there.  Barbre graded out as one of the better guards last year, and as I stated a few weeks ago, that may have been the most important move Elway made this offseason.

Tough news about Bolles but there's no other option, he's just going to have to learn on the fly.  Beats every other option on the roster though.

Siemian was always going to start, Paxton never had a chance and the talk that he would progress always seemed foolish.  He just doesn't have "it."  The idea that a new playbook and offense would give these two QB's an even start never made any sense.  Siemian is smarter and more committed to football than Paxton.  Paxton has athletic tools but brings literally no other attributes that you see in successful quarterbacks.  I think we all held out hope we would be wrong but all kinda knew that pick was going to bust.  No shock that he has.  

I'm not too put off by the defensive scheme. Joe Woods is incredibly respected and his work with the secondary speaks for itself. If we had even a very good secondary I might be skeptical, but we quite literally have one of the all-time best units. I'll defer to coaching on that one.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not too put off by the defensive scheme. Joe Woods is incredibly respected and his work with the secondary speaks for itself. If we had even a very good secondary I might be skeptical, but we quite literally have one of the all-time best units. I'll defer to coaching on that one.

Plus we know Aqib and Chris will speak their minds and care a lot about their play and succeeding. If they were unhappy w anything we'd know. Joe Woods was probably heavily involved w the scheme when Wade was coach anyways.

I've been really encouraged by Bolles thus far. Rough penalties, but his athleticism sticks out and dude is a savage. He's out there tryna get under people's skin. We need that

The middle of this defense is a weakness. As last year opponents will throw a ton of pass for their TE's.

Our OL is not impressive. Very difficult to run in the middle...........

ST"s are average. Brock OLIVO need to speak louder for his guys.

We just need to know THIS is a PRE SEASON GAME and what you can see be more different at the statrt of the season

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

Plus we know Aqib and Chris will speak their minds and care a lot about their play and succeeding. If they were unhappy w anything we'd know. Joe Woods was probably heavily involved w the scheme when Wade was coach anyways.

I've been really encouraged by Bolles thus far. Rough penalties, but his athleticism sticks out and dude is a savage. He's out there tryna get under people's skin. We need that

I agree with you on Bolles.  I will even take a few penalties from him if he wins the psychological battles on the offensive side of the ball.  I wish we could get that level of nasty from a vet like Leary.  But, I will take it from Bolles...a number one draft pick.  I hope he has the demeanor of a Talib, or a TJ Ward.  However, Bolles will need to temper that aggression a bit.  Talb and Ward seem to know when to pick their battles where it doesn't affect the team too much.  

Nevertheless, I think by week 3 or 4, Bolles will have solidified himself as the LT we've been looking for.  I also am encourage by Ty Sambrailla a bit.  I would like to see him work against a starting defensive line to see what is there.  I am not sure...but, he is just as athletic as Bolles, in which case, if Ty improves to the point of being worthy of a 2nd round pick...can you transition him to the RT position where we would have some really athletic tackles, and a top notch interior line that are built of maulers?  Would be a cool dynamic for sure, and would ensure a pretty good run game, I would think.  I saw Bolles pull a lot this last game and I think that helped open some holes.  

21 hours ago, germ-x said:

My last take on the QB debate (we all know it's over) and mostly on Lynch.

I obviously don't know Paxton Lynch, but his deamonor on the sidelines throughout this entire competition has been puzzling.  He's always smiling and laughing.  Maybe it's my own personality, but it just strikes me as odd.  Lynch just outright lost the QB competition tonight and I understand being a good teammate, but he just strikes me as a clown who really doesn't care.  I compare it to being a boxer, wrestler, or MMA fighter.  Even when giving it your all and losing these guys show respect for their opponent, but you never see these guys smiling and laughing after losing what they believe is theirs.  I don't know if Lynch just doesn't care or is that stupid because he was just knocked out tonight and his deamonor didn't show it in the slightest.

In contrast they showed Siemian on the sideline at one point while Lynch was on the field and the look on his face was one of a competitor with an almost arrogant smirk on his face as if to say, this job is mine.

Like we bash him when Dt says he can keep his head down too long sometimes because he wants to be perfect. And we bash him for being upbeat on the sideline?

And I read in 2 places people question if lynch cares and loves the game. I mean I have no evidence supporting otherwise I know he worked hard this offseason. He just needs more days like thursdays practice and than that will translate to games. 

I'm sure people were questioning brett favre and his commitment to the game. The guy took years to master the playbook not trying to do backyard style of play.

8 hours ago, champ11 said:

Athleticism and a nasty demeanor are nice qualities. But being able to do your job - in Bolles' case that means block - are more important. He failed miserably at his job last night. 

People making excuses for Bolles remind me of those who kept touting Robert Ayers' ability to "set the edge" when he was drafted to rush the passer. Cut it out. 

Archived