Broncos @ 49ers: Week 2 GDT

broncosfan07

Ok saw the game through crappy online feed but a few thoughts:

1.  Lynch still raw - like sushi raw.   That 3rd and 6 not recognizing the run was there, really slow read progression and again bad accuracy on key throws.   Main plus was his mobility, but physical tools are never the Q - just such little progress.   Not surprising that the 2 strong practices were more a blip than a change given the bigger body of work.    On the other hand Siemian showed well - that incompletion where he avoided the sack and the decisiveness in early reads really showed the difference   

If this is the earliest they can commit for Week 1 reg season pretty clear it's Siemian by a fair margin  

2.   Bolles really tough 1H   Pass pro always going to be his weakness    Hopefully he shows more progress at least his learning curve until today much faster.   Did like what Barbre did compared to past LG work.   Unit still needs more time to gel as a whole.  

3.   Nice runs by D-Henderson.   Can't say I think we need JC with CJ, Booker and Henderson.   Especially with the $ saved.  That matters a ton.  

4.   Time to see how the backup DE do.   Didn't see much but TBH terrible feed so harder to notice lol.  

5.   Praying for a clean sheet injury wise from now on.  So far so good.  

36 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah. His rookie year was nothing to write home about but they invested a 2nd round pick in him and thus will give him time.  

FWIW it was a 4th but they will wait.  He's a major pass game asset and cheap at worst.    D-Henderson has flashed but keep in mind Booker did as well - rookie wall expected later.   

What Booker also brings besides versatility and pass game chops is ST big contributor in 2H and improved a lot in 2H pass blocking wise.    JC so expensive to keep I don't see it TBH.  

My last take on the QB debate (we all know it's over) and mostly on Lynch.

I obviously don't know Paxton Lynch, but his deamonor on the sidelines throughout this entire competition has been puzzling.  He's always smiling and laughing.  Maybe it's my own personality, but it just strikes me as odd.  Lynch just outright lost the QB competition tonight and I understand being a good teammate, but he just strikes me as a clown who really doesn't care.  I compare it to being a boxer, wrestler, or MMA fighter.  Even when giving it your all and losing these guys show respect for their opponent, but you never see these guys smiling and laughing after losing what they believe is theirs.  I don't know if Lynch just doesn't care or is that stupid because he was just knocked out tonight and his deamonor didn't show it in the slightest.

In contrast they showed Siemian on the sideline at one point while Lynch was on the field and the look on his face was one of a competitor with an almost arrogant smirk on his face as if to say, this job is mine.

50 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I am going to stand by my previous statements on the old site. Kyle Sloter is the best QB on the roster and should be given a chance to start. We have a lesser Tom Brady. Yes I said it. We need to open the competition. 

I don't know of I go that far, but I want him on the roster. The guy looks amazing for transferring from wr a couple years ago. That being said 3rd string defenses he faces.

Some notes from memory:

-Siemian is just so much more comfortable than Lynch at this point. I hope he's named the starter Monday.

-Henderson has flashed about 7 or 8 times now. Charles seems like a pointless luxury. 

-The offense will be hamstrung until Bolles proves he can play on an island because right now both he and Watson need help and that means less routes for our RBs and TEs. 

-McGovern had a rough game at center, Earl Mitchell dominated that matchup. 

-Down to Peko, Gotsis, Kerr and Shelby Harris, the first team run defense was again solid. If it can just meet our 2015 and 2016 run defenses in the middle in both YPC and YPG, that would be a big win.

-Special teams coverage has been abysmal. There's a wild card factor for crushing our season with everything else we're worried about. 

Caught up with the game. Could have watched it live but as it was on at 3am UK time and a preseason game thought better not to. Leave the late nights for the regular season.

Anyway as has been noted on here this QB competition is surely over now and Vance names Trevor the starter ASAP. Was really hoping Lynch would really make a move to claim the starting spot but he just isn't ready. We need to get behind Trevor now and get him as prepared as possible for the regular season.

Was also hoping Jamaal Charles would be a great addition to this roster. I've always rated him at KC but I fear he might not make the roster as it doesn't appear we need that many RB's. Hope he sticks around as I do feel he offers an alternative. 

Ultimately though we found out who our starter at QB is going to be, and I'm not sure what the future holds for Paxton in Denver.

Watched most of this game. Some thoughts below:

Lynch has no business coming near the starting QB role. Missing a wide open DT on a 3rd down, the jitters, ill advised throws...he's just not ready. He may never be ready, but he's certainly not ready this year. I'm not sure what Lynch "did good" today, but I particularly enjoyed Mike Klis writing that both QBs "looked great" or something like that- clearly an untrue statement. MHR is the same way, that whole group has egg on their face for the Lynch lovefest. Sorry, I know I sound a little Trump-ish going after the media, but wow. It's time to name Siemian the starter. I know it didn't work out the way Elway and Vance wanted, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Bolles got beaten like a drum up, down, and sideways. He still has the athletic profile to succeed at the LT position, at least moderately so, but he's gonna need some time to grow into his role.

I'm not sure Jamaal Charles makes the team at this point. Henderson, Anderson, Booker are locks to make the team. I don't think there's a place for Juwan, so it's between Ridley and Charles, and if Charles can't get on the field, I'm not sure why a roster spot would be held for him.

Allen Barbre should be a starting guard and I don't even think it's a question. He was mauling people. I'm not sure why he didn't start with the 1's given this last week of practice, but he impressed me and Garcia didn't (again).

Brock Olivo better get this ST unit together, especially the defensive side of ST. My god it's been a mess. Granted, a lot of these guys are fighting for their roles but still, you'd like to see that be a little more buttoned up. McManus and Riley Dixon both look great though, IMO. Dixon clearly has improved from last year in his distance, hangtime, and control. McManus is just automatic more or less.

The secondary is disgustingly good, and the battle for the last CB spot is getting intriguing. Chris Lewis-Harris is really not that bad. I think he's better than Doss and profiles more like with the rest of the NFZ is and does as players. Doss is a big time gambler, CLH is a more physical-ish tactician. I have to assume Langley makes the team, but he's the 5th CB.

The DL looked much better tonight, even against the starters. Shelby Miller made a name for himself which was nice to see. Still a point of concern, but they didn't allow the gaping runs that I thought may happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Olivo say he wanted to put the ball in play to see how his coverage worked? I'm not excusing the poor play but I think he wants to see what people are best at. No sense in getting touch backs in pre-season. But you'd hope to see a clean sheet each game. Those fighting for their spots need to step up. 

12 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Lorenzo Doss has really struggled in both preseason games. That has been a big surprise for me.

I think Doss is a poor fit for the press man scheme we employ. He seems better suited for a zone or zone-man mix scheme. Running the press man scheme we do requires exceptionally talented CBs who have elite size, speed, athleticism and instincts. Fortunately we have several guys who fit that mold but Doss is not one of them. 

For what it's worth, Nicki Jhabvala agrees with my (and several of yours) assessment that Bolles struggled yesterday. 

Broncos rookie offensive tackle Garrett Bolles struggles in second preseason start

Broncos rookie left tackle Garett Bolles escaped his preseason debut last week at Chicago without committing any major mistakes.

That was far from the case during his second game.

Bolles, the Broncos’ first-round draft pick out of Utah, committed four first-half penalties Saturday against the 49ers, including three holding calls.

Archived