2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

As I’ve said I need to watch some more of Lock to have a better opinion.  The hire of Scangarello seems to point in that direction, however.

From what I’ve read on The Athletic, Scangarello was brought for 2 reasons; 1. His ability to develop QBs and 2. His offensive innovation.

In terms of QBs, he looks for toughness and competitiveness.  Daniel Jones fits that profile, but from what I’ve read of Lock he does as well.  While Lock had a better team he also played in the SEC where Missouri’s talent didn’t stack up and he still continued to improve every year.  Lock’s also the most talented QB in this draft which will check a box for Elway and would be the most talented QB Scangarello has ever worked with.

I am not saying Lock is the right answer and Elway has come out and stated part of his failures has been with pre determining their moves, but this seems like a pre determination to get the QB Elway wants in the building and surrounding him with coaching/talent that he didn’t with Lynch.

It could be the right move.  I’ve been turned off of Lock with the little I’ve seen, so I’ll watch more in the coming weeks.  However, I’ll say to start the year he was a potential top 5 pick by many.  Hit a rough patch and wasn’t even a 1st rounder and now by many is a top 15 selection based on how he finished the year. 

Its still all about the 'fit' and coaching for a young QB success. Talent alone cant help a QB come in and be a franchise guy. Look at Jared Goff under Fisher and now McVay. Look at Baker Mayfield under Hue and Kitchens, look at Matt Ryan under Shannahan and then Sarkisian, Foles with and without Doug Peterson, Dalton with and without Hue Jackson, Keenum with Pat Shurmer and now Musgrave. Same can be applied to defense with the Broncos under Wade and then Woods.

Point being, Drew Lock def. has the tools. He is this years Mahommes/Josh Allen of being a guy who can do it all but needs really good structure and coaching around him if hes going to become a franchise guy. You could say that about every prospect. What Ive learned about QBs in particular is that they are so much more dependent on coaching, play design, offensive system than just raw talent if they are going to be successful

If the Broncos are confident that Scangarello is their guy who can shape/mold a QB friendly offense and maximize whoever is playing in it----then pull the trigger on Lock.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:34 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is exactly right. That’s why teams pay even above-average QBs huge money, they don’t want to end up like the 2016-2018+ Denver Broncos. 

Look at Seattle. They lose so much of the core of their Super Bowl teams thanks to age, cost and free agency. But they’re still a perennial playoff team thanks to having an elite QB and an elite head coach. 

NE is the prime example. They jettison so many good/great players and keep right on killing it.

I think Lock has a great Senior bowl and combine and goes earlier than 10.  I believe if Lock is the Broncos' guy then they will have to trade for him.  But, think that they could get Daniel Jones at 10.  Honestly, I know I have been pounding the table for DJ for awhile now, but I like Lock too...wouldn't be disappointed with either of them.  Again, if I were Elway, I would look at Scangerello, and would be like..."Who do you want...who do you want to be connected to for the next two decades?"

2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think Lock has a great Senior bowl and combine and goes earlier than 10.  I believe if Lock is the Broncos' guy then they will have to trade for him.  But, think that they could get Daniel Jones at 10.  Honestly, I know I have been pounding the table for DJ for awhile now, but I like Lock too...wouldn't be disappointed with either of them.  Again, if I were Elway, I would look at Scangerello, and would be like..."Who do you want...who do you want to be connected to for the next two decades?"

Doubt elway will do that elway imo has a lot of ego.  Ego can be a great thing. I think it helped elway bring in the pieces for 2015 to win the whole thing but ego can kill you coming to the draft.

Anyone see Daniel jeremiah’s Top 50 on nfl today? I’m not the most versed in college game but I usually know the top guys for the draft. He had dudes I haven’t heard of in the top 20. I thought Iowa’s TE was universally regarded as the best TE prospect and he agreed, except it was different one than Fant. 

More pertaining to this thread he had Haskins at 15 with lock and jones right by each other in the 20s. 

37 minutes ago, OrangeNBlue86 said:

Anyone see Daniel jeremiah’s Top 50 on nfl today? I’m not the most versed in college game but I usually know the top guys for the draft. He had dudes I haven’t heard of in the top 20. I thought Iowa’s TE was universally regarded as the best TE prospect and he agreed, except it was different one than Fant. 

More pertaining to this thread he had Haskins at 15 with lock and jones right by each other in the 20s. 

TJ Hockenson's helium is insane right now.   Jeremiah is one of a bunch of scouts / draftniks who are in love with his skill set.   Think Dallas Goedert skill set with pro bowl blocking ability.   Given how Iowa's O plays, his numbers don't flash but the tape is impressive, and of course playing in the Big 10 and succeeding adds a big plus. And he's 2 years younger at draft time than Goedert.    Given that combo, it's easy to see why he's gaining a lot of momentum - and we haven't even reached the Combine yet.  TE take so long to develop it’s rare to get Rd1 love.  OJ Howard and David Njoku showed the skill set but it takes time (Howard injury certainly slowed him down this year). 

QB-wise, Jeremiah's probably a little lower than Haskins than most, but it also reflects how much elite D talent there is at the top.     But yeah, it's also showing the issue with going early this year for QB.   Haskins is a lock for the top 5 (6 if no one moves up, but the likelihood of that seems so low).    It's not like rankings are even close to an exact science, but the gap is notable.

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

TJ Hockenson's helium is insane right now.   Jeremiah is one of a bunch of scouts / draftniks who are in love with his skill set.   Think Dallas Goedert skill set with pro bowl blocking ability.   Given how Iowa's O plays, his numbers don't flash but the tape is impressive, and of course playing in the Big 10 and succeeding adds a big plus. And he's 2 years younger at draft time than Goedert.    Given that combo, it's easy to see why he's gaining a lot of momentum - and we haven't even reached the Combine yet.  TE take so long to develop it’s rare to get Rd1 love.  OJ Howard and David Njoku showed the skill set but it takes time (Howard injury certainly slowed him down this year). 

QB-wise, Jeremiah's probably a little lower than Haskins than most, but it also reflects how much elite D talent there is at the top.     But yeah, it's also showing the issue with going early this year for QB.   Haskins is a lock for the top 5 (6 if no one moves up, but the likelihood of that seems so low).    It's not like rankings are even close to an exact science, but the gap is notable.

Yeah, Hockenson is so highly regarded because he’s the total package.  He has the size and athleticism to be a legitimate weapon in the passing game, though I don’t know that he ever is elite in that area, but what is getting him these high grades is his ability as a blocker.  There are numerous draftniks and former scouts saying he’s the best blocking TE they’ve ever evaluated.  Again, factor in he has to also be respected in the passing game and you have yourself a damn good football player with an incredibly low chance of busting.

Archived