You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't want Pettine back if McCarthy is gone.  If McCarthy is gone, literally everybody has to be gone.  If McCarthy is fired, it's a two year rebuild minimum with two years minimum between a shot at a Super Bowl. 

I don't want a single thing returning. 

Let Clay prove he's still got something somewhere else and get us a fourth round compensatory pick.
Let Cobb get us a 5th round compensatory pick.
Cut Perry after June first.

Let a new DC pick the third cornerstone of his defense.  Literally no defensive coordinator in the league doesn't have a spot for Alexander or Clark, so let him pick his third piece.  Safety, EDGE, whichever.

I also hope we switch to a 4-3. 

I can see the desire for a new HC now.  Sucks to sacrifice next year and not have a shot at a Super Bowl next year, but change could help. 

There's one side that's disappointed and sad to see how this worked out and one side that is happy it turned out this way.

Looking forward to the rebuild now as well, though! Best time to be a fan other than after a SB win.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There's one side that's disappointed and sad to see how this worked out and one side that is happy it turned out this way.

Looking forward to the rebuild now as well, though! Best time to be a fan other than after a SB win.

This isn't a rebuild! This is a Jon Gruden goes to Tampa scenario. We should have a good draft. We will have cap money to get a few guys. We can move on from dead weight. 

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't want Pettine back if McCarthy is gone.  If McCarthy is gone, literally everybody has to be gone.  If McCarthy is fired, it's a two year rebuild minimum with two years minimum between a shot at a Super Bowl

Honest - not trying to rub it in because i know that this wasn't easy for you - but honestly I don't see a Super Bowl visit with MM at the helm next year even if we have an off-season made in heaven.

His offense is broken.  

So next year is a year to rebuild instead of retool.  I'm OK with that.

5 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Honest - not trying to rub it in because i know that this wasn't easy for you - but honestly I don't see a Super Bowl visit with MM at the helm next year even if we have an off-season made in heaven.

His offense is broken.  

Yeah, I don't know what anyone could see in McCarthy's job the last 4 years to think he'd be likely to get things going next year somehow.  There has been good and bad but overall he has come up pretty small.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Yep. I’m on board for McDaniel’s in GB train. Don’t hate

You think he's a strong enough personality to make Rodgers play with better fundamentals? Do you think he'll convince Rodgers to quit holding onto the football so long? 

I'm just asking because those things have to get fixed too. 

32 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't want Pettine back if McCarthy is gone.  If McCarthy is gone, literally everybody has to be gone.  If McCarthy is fired, it's a two year rebuild minimum with two years minimum between a shot at a Super Bowl. 

I don't want a single thing returning. 

Let Clay prove he's still got something somewhere else and get us a fourth round compensatory pick.
Let Cobb get us a 5th round compensatory pick.
Cut Perry after June first.

Let a new DC pick the third cornerstone of his defense.  Literally no defensive coordinator in the league doesn't have a spot for Alexander or Clark, so let him pick his third piece.  Safety, EDGE, whichever.

I also hope we switch to a 4-3. 

I can see the desire for a new HC now.  Sucks to sacrifice next year and not have a shot at a Super Bowl next year, but change could help. 

Eagles won a SB with a backup QB. Two teams just scored 105 points, Kyler Fackrell is relevant.

Times are changing in the NFL man, no reason the trend that a 1st year coach can't be broken.

Not a lot of 1stbyear coaches walk into a room with Aaron Rodgers, a up and coming star RB, a top 10 WR, the best LT in the NFL and defensive building blocks.

I'd have no problem keeping Pettine. Guy has proven he gets it. Look at what keeping Fangio has done for Nagy.

I'm unsure on McDaniels .. if he is at a point in his life where he just wants to be a head coach and can focus on that instead of being a tyrant he's probably one of the brightest minds out there.  There was talk he and Gute got to know each other a bit this past year .. maybe it's a fit.  

I like the idea of Arians despite the age .. he's an innovator, and is pretty much no-nonsense.  He keeps insisting he's only interested in the Browns, but you'd have to think he's holding off saying anything about jobs that aren't open yet.

Lincoln Riley .. brilliant offensive mind ... right up there with the best that level has to offer.

DeFilippo ... called a good game tonight .. might be a fit and might also retain Pettine.  Pettine is getting quite a bit more from his defense than Mac is getting from his offense.

Jim Harbaugh .. guy can coach, so we'd be silly not to be interested if he's available.

11 minutes ago, Cheech said:

His offense is broken.  

Pretty sure Gute is OK with it as well.

Trading back in the 1st round for another pick, getting rid of all the flotsam on the roster, trading HaHa, Hundley, and Montgomery for pick and not trading to anyone.

Pretty sure Gute saw the deep flaws in the roster and was planning ahead long before most fans (or at least FF posters).

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You think he's a strong enough personality to make Rodgers play with better fundamentals? Do you think he'll convince Rodgers to quit holding onto the football so long? 

I'm just asking because those things have to get fixed too. 

He has some very impressive history with a multiple time Super Bowl champion and future HOF, so yeah I think he can handle it.

10 minutes ago, Gopher Trace said:

1.) Pete Carmichael Jr.
2.) Eric Bieniemy
3.) Lincoln Riley
4.) McD
Wildcard: LaFleur (no idea how to judge his body-of-work, but like with any HC candidate, that's the stuff for Gute & Co. to sort out).

Hard pass on Carmichael. Guy has been the OC of a super offense too long and gotten no looks. Something is up there.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Hard pass on Carmichael. Guy has been the OC of a super offense too long and gotten no looks. Something is up there.

I'm with you on this one.  At this point, I'm pretty damn close to saying throw everything at Lincoln Riley short of full personnel control.  And as a Sooners fan, I'd rather him stick around.

Archived