You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

For the upteenth time, it's not a 3 man decision making team.  The GM is making the personnel decisions and the HC is calling the plays.  They should be connected, and if there's a discrepancy then Murphy is the guy whose mediating.  Think of it like a brother and sister, and the mom is there to mediate.

I was speaking about how both MM and Gute report to Murphy.  Gute should be in charge of the players and hiring and firing the HC.

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

I was speaking about how both MM and Gute report to Murphy.  Gute should be in charge of the players and hiring and firing the HC.

And maybe things will change if the Packers move on from McCarthy.  But it seems pretty clear that it was an attempt to secure McCarthy's position.  Going into the final year of his contract with a new GM doesn't scream stability.  McCarthy got his extension and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder wondering if Gute is going to fire him.

17 minutes ago, Pugger said:

My hope is that Murphy will be the one to let McCarthy go .. and then Murphy will give full control back to Gute to hire the next head coach.  I really don't like this current setup, although I do think Murphy is a sharp football guy.  He's been a player, a nflpa laywer, an AD at a Big 10 school, before becoming Pres. of the Packers.  His last head coaching hire was a major success .. Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And maybe things will change if the Packers move on from McCarthy.  But it seems pretty clear that it was an attempt to secure McCarthy's position.  Going into the final year of his contract with a new GM doesn't scream stability.  McCarthy got his extension and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder wondering if Gute is going to fire him.

The extra year didn't mean much as far as job security goes. Gute could fire him today if he wanted to. It will give him an extra year's salary beyond this year if/when he is fired after the last game. That's some financial security--a sort of reward for the years of service.

I have a suspicion that MM was given benchmarks he had to meet this year. And I suspect he isn't meeting them. 4-6-1? 13% chance of making the playoffs? No, not meeting them.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

My hope is that Murphy will be the one to let McCarthy go .. and then Murphy will give full control back to Gute to hire the next head coach.  I really don't like this current setup, although I do think Murphy is a sharp football guy.  He's been a player, a nflpa laywer, an AD at a Big 10 school, before becoming Pres. of the Packers.  His last head coaching hire was a major success .. Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.

Interesting! Do you think that gives Fitzgerald an inside track if the HC job opens up?

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'll say that if McCarthy IS fired, I'll be as excited about the offseason as everyone else.  Even if I disagree with the firing, getting a new head coach is still pretty exciting.  

If MM is fired, could be a whole new coaching staff.   While I would like to see Pettine retained, I am sure a new HC would want to consider hiring OC, DC and remaining staff that they are comfortable working with.  

3 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Interesting! Do you think that gives Fitzgerald an inside track if the HC job opens up?

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if he got an interview .. if he wants it.  I get the idea he could be a lifer at Northwestern.  He really has done a nice job there, and he seems like a really highly principled guy.  Seems like a class act.

Btw - as a toss on to the AVP thought fire.........

If I head up any one of the NFC North teams NOT located in Green Bay, WI - the #1 FA - or target hire I'm gonna make is AVP.

Lickety-split.
Faster than fast.
You eyes wouldnt blink twice before I hired this guy.

Apparently AVP holds the key to all that makes AR a functioning QB. An AR without an AVP is like Samson w/o his hair.

So - I'm throwing the bank at him and rendering GB worthless for the remainder of ARs career.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Btw - as a toss on to the AVP thought fire.........

If I head up any one of the NFC North teams NOT located in Green Bay, WI - the #1 FA - or target hire I'm gonna make is AVP.

Lickety-split.
Faster than fast.
You eyes wouldnt blink twice before I hired this guy.

Apparently AVP holds the key to all that makes AR a functioning QB. An AR without an AVP is like Samson w/o his hair.

So - I'm throwing the bank at him and rendering GB worthless for the remainder of ARs career.

Delete this post fast - there’s spies among us.  😎

Mark Murphy not sounding like he's ready to fire McCarthy, and I love it:

“I’m not ready to give up on the season,” Murphy adds, as if he or anyone else would admit to giving in to the tanking temptation. “Now, I realize that we are 4-6-1 (and as Bill Parcells famously said, ‘You are what your record says you are’) and that we haven’t played well. However, we still have almost a third of the season left to play. I know that the odds of making the playoffs are slim (I’ve seen odds range from 3 to 15 percent), but we still have a lot to play for. If we can finish the season strong, even if we don’t make the playoffs (and crazier things have happened), it will give the team confidence that can carry over to next year. Also, from the individual player’s standpoint, the average career is so short (3.1 years) and every game means so much, they all have much to play for over the next five weeks.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/01/packers-ceo-im-not-ready-to-give-up-on-the-season/

Archived