Alex Smith leg injury and what it means for the NFC East

Rodjahs12

10 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I certainly was. They weren't as great as everyone thinks. Teams like the 89 49ers and 86 Giants get overrated because they won titles in the Super Bowl Myth era (84-86). That was a time where overrated NFC teams were beating up on sorry AFC teams.

I agree with you about Harrison. Marvin (and Indy's bad special teams) don't get enough blame for Indy's postseason short-comings from 1999-2010.

However, Rice didn't get hurt because he didn't take as many hits as people think he did (look at RiceWatch on that 49er hater site for a sample). The best and toughest WR of the late-80's and early-90's was Sterling Sharpe, not Rice.

They are talking about WR's, TE's, and RB's, not just WR's.

That may be true, but a lot of his long TD catches came from catching a short pass against a zone defense and taking it all the way.

Personally, I would say Michael Irvin was the toughest of the receivers from that era, but like Sharpe, his body eventually paid the price. Rice withstood it for 20 years, excluding the 97 ACL tear.

The thing about the RBs and TEs going out on patterns is they rarely drew any of the DBs. In fact, teams would often leave Brent Jones uncovered altogether. If anyone on those teams was a fraud, it was him. Lousy blocker, awkward runner, rarely beat actual coverage. The team really missed Russ Francis's blocking later on.

As for catching short passes...it's not like other teams didn't create plenty of similar opportunities for their receivers. Plenty of starting receivers around the league finished averaging 14, 15 yards per catch in those days. It wasn't like the 49ers were doing this in the era of the 70s Patriots. 

The main difference with the Walsh offense was he drilled it into the QB's head to take the checkdown when in doubt. This inflated the hell out of their completion percentages in comparison to other QBs. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:04 AM, ///mcompact said:

Your continual Cowboy hate won't help Howie's cap situation going into this off-season.  Gonna need some top-level drafting to replenish your aging/depleted roster since his "go-to move" of throwing cash in FA won't be much of an option for the foreseeable future..

It's the one thing Howie is great at, manipulating the cap. It won't be an issue once he cuts/retire/restructures several key Veteran Eagles.

2019 was always the plan IMO with the Peters, Sproles, Foles, Graham's and others being asked to move on or be let go.

You are correct on one thing though. Eagles can't waste their 8-10 picks coming up in this year's draft.

13 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Personally, I would say Michael Irvin was the toughest of the receivers from that era, but like Sharpe, his body eventually paid the price. Rice withstood it for 20 years, excluding the 97 ACL tear.

The thing about the RBs and TEs going out on patterns is they rarely drew any of the DBs. In fact, teams would often leave Brent Jones uncovered altogether. If anyone on those teams was a fraud, it was him. Lousy blocker, awkward runner, rarely beat actual coverage. The team really missed Russ Francis's blocking later on.

As for catching short passes...it's not like other teams didn't create plenty of similar opportunities for their receivers. Plenty of starting receivers around the league finished averaging 14, 15 yards per catch in those days. It wasn't like the 49ers were doing this in the era of the 70s Patriots. 

The main difference with the Walsh offense was he drilled it into the QB's head to take the checkdown when in doubt. This inflated the hell out of their completion percentages in comparison to other QBs. 

I agree with you about Irvin. He gets overlooked sometimes. I also agree with you about Brent Jones. He couldn't make the Steelers in 1986 when they drafted him, despite having a guy by the name of Preston Gothard as the starter.

The Cowboys SHOULD win the division now BUT what the injury to Smith means is its another "accident waiting to happen" for the Cowboys.

Remember those years where the Cowboys would be in position to win and get in Week 17 game but always lose and not make the playoffs? Remember when Romo fumbled the ball on a field goal try that then the Cowboys lost the game? Remember when ARod hit Cook (of all people) on a beautiful pass and catch on the sideline and Crosby hit the field goal and the Cowboys lost the game? Remember the no catch by Dez (that now wouldve been a catch) and the Cowboys lost that game? 

The Cowboys have no excuse not to win the East BUT if they do, its another "accident waiting to happen". At least if Smith was healthy the spotlight wouldnt be on the Cowboys now because the Redskins was the team to beat in the division. Now its the Cowboys so again they SHOULD win the division but if they dont its another "accident waiting to happen" and I cant wait to see Stephen A. Smith face, hear him sing his song, and hear what he has to say about the Cowboys choking once again. 

39 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The Cowboys SHOULD win the division now BUT what the injury to Smith means is its another "accident waiting to happen" for the Cowboys.

Remember those years where the Cowboys would be in position to win and get in Week 17 game but always lose and not make the playoffs? Remember when Romo fumbled the ball on a field goal try that then the Cowboys lost the game? Remember when ARod hit Cook (of all people) on a beautiful pass and catch on the sideline and Crosby hit the field goal and the Cowboys lost the game? Remember the no catch by Dez (that now wouldve been a catch) and the Cowboys lost that game? 

The Cowboys have no excuse not to win the East BUT if they do, its another "accident waiting to happen". At least if Smith was healthy the spotlight wouldnt be on the Cowboys now because the Redskins was the team to beat in the division. Now its the Cowboys so again they SHOULD win the division but if they dont its another "accident waiting to happen" and I cant wait to see Stephen A. Smith face, hear him sing his song, and hear what he has to say about the Cowboys choking once again. 

Whoah...I finally spoted a Stephen A. Smith fan!! Neat. 

On 11/18/2018 at 8:04 PM, Jlowe22 said:

Seriously doubt Brees is "baffled" by the defense.  They may get to Brees, and beat Saints oline.  They might stuff the run, or perfectly cover the Saints WRs, but I really doubt they "baffle" Brees.

He sure looked baffled to me.

Now do you people see it? There is practically zero chance of any team in the NFC beating Dallas in January. The only team with a legitimate shot of stopping them from winning the Super Bowl is New England, as Brady and Belichick might limp to the finish line before retiring to get one for the road. 

The Saints are utterly helpless against the Cowboys' defense. And if you think the Rams have a shot, let me remind you to check out their run defense this year. Imagine them trying to stop Zeke. 

....Yeah.

When a team is clearly the best defense in the NFL, and it's on a battle hardened team...a team that just won't die...you're going to be seeing them on Super Bowl Sunday. Happens every time. 

Archived