Under The Radar Breakout Years

tyler735

Who are some guys that are having a breakout season that is flying under the radar?

The first one that comes to mind for me is Christian McCaffrey. I was really high on him coming into the league (He was my top rated RB in an absolutely stacked 2017 draft class). I was so bummed out that he went to the Panthers (Saints fan) as McCaffrey was one of my favorite prospects to enter the draft in years.  After his first season many stated that he wasn't big enough to be an effective every down runner in the NFL, and some mentioned he would be better off just switching to WR. This year however has been a much different story. He has been getting more carries, and finally is getting some decent blocking from his Offensive Line, which was his biggest issue last year. 

As of right now, McCaffrey currently has 757 rushing yards, and 608 receiving yards. He also has 5 rushing touchdowns, and 5 receiving touchdowns. He is averaging just under 5 yards a carry (4.9) as well to go along with his excellent production this year.

If he continues his current production level the rest of the year he is on pace to have 1,101 rushing yards, 7 rushing touchdowns, 884 receiving yards, and 7 receiving touchdowns.

If he pulls that off he has to be in consideration to be a top 5 RB given his crazy versatility (Obviously the RB position is absolutely stacked right now and everyone is going to have much different top 5 lists).  

Kareem Jackson has been a monster - moving from CB to S fits his skillset perfectly, and he's got career numbers pretty much across the board. Even beyond the numbers, his presence operating in space and closing to the ball has been phenomenal - he's become an enforcer in the back end, with violent hits and pass breakups out in the flats and over the middle. 

He's making CB money, so that's the only downside to his campaign so far - but getting anything from him outside of his sub-standard CB play is a major bonus. 

jayon brown has gone from a solid situational player to an excellent starting ILB for the titans. he leads the team in tackles and sacks. his speed is an asset in coverage and rushing the passer, and he is surprisingly adept in the run game given his small size.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

This guy, damarious randall!

dude has been a stud FS for the Browns. Something they have needed for a few years. It’s great they got him for Kizer 

Randall has been good, but I might not call him a "stud" yet. He's definitely been everything I hoped he'd be, especially since we got him for friggin' DeShone Kizer and a swap of draft picks.

Is Joe Schobert still considered under the radar? I mean, he was a pro bowler last year but I doubt casual fans are familiar with him. He's our most consistent defender and is proving that last season wasn't a fluke for him. Dude looked so mediocre as an edge rusher entering the league, but has greatly benefited from switching to MLB.

Larry Ogunjobi is another one who's probably under the radar, but has been pretty damn good for us.

1 hour ago, DaveDX said:

McCaffrey is doing great, but I believe he is firmly on the radar. I’m gonna go with Greg Kittle. Whenever I see him play he’s a lot of fun to watch and is fast approaching 1000 yards. 

I suppose he is on the radar to an extent, but I don't think many have hyped him up as the potential 2,000 yards of offense (might even go 1,000 rush yards, and 1,000 receiving yards this year), and around 15 touchdown type player he looks to be this year. He's having an excellent year that seems to be lost in the shuffle a bit.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Randall has been good, but I might not call him a "stud" yet. He's definitely been everything I hoped he'd be, especially since we got him for friggin' DeShone Kizer and a swap of draft picks.

Is Joe Schobert still considered under the radar? I mean, he was a pro bowler last year but I doubt casual fans are familiar with him. He's our most consistent defender and is proving that last season wasn't a fluke for him. Dude looked so mediocre as an edge rusher entering the league, but has greatly benefited from switching to MLB.

Larry Ogunjobi is another one who's probably under the radar, but has been pretty damn good for us.

I would call DR a stud. Dude has been the perfect center fielder for Gregg Williams. When he has been healthy he has been a difference maker in our secondary to go along with Ward

Archived