Under The Radar Breakout Years

tyler735

9 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Two Chargers that I feel really earned themselves some cash in free agency this year. Tyrell Williams and Melvin Gordon. I’m skeptical we will be able to afford to bring either of them back and they had solid seasons. Williams has the skills to be a high quality number 2 with a 1000 yard season under his belt, but with Mike Williams in Los Angeles is expendable. Melvin Gordon when healthy has turned the corner into a top back. I was his biggest critic and I’m sold now that he helps a franchise win games. The only question is his durability. 

Gordon is back under the 5th year option. So Tyrell Williams is the one you have to wonder about.

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Robert Woods?

I kind of agree in regards to him taking the next step, but I always felt he was a very good number 2 type WR held back by poor QB play.   He missed a few games last year, or his stats wouldve been better.    With Goff taking another step forward this year and having guys like Cooks and Kupp opening more up for him, he is seeing a nice increase in production.

yeah woods is a good answer, he’s turned in to a genuine number 1b receiver in a top offense 

for pittsburgh you’ve got javon hargrave who’s been good all year but has finally been seeing the statistical results - he does a lot that your average 3-4 nose tackle doesn’t do by way of getting after the passer, and he also opens up lanes for tuitt and heyward to attack

On 2018-11-26 at 10:43 AM, ET80 said:

Kareem Jackson has been a monster - moving from CB to S fits his skillset perfectly, and he's got career numbers pretty much across the board. Even beyond the numbers, his presence operating in space and closing to the ball has been phenomenal - he's become an enforcer in the back end, with violent hits and pass breakups out in the flats and over the middle. 

He's making CB money, so that's the only downside to his campaign so far - but getting anything from him outside of his sub-standard CB play is a major bonus. 

I forget which game it was but I swear Jackson made 3 consecutive tackles on 3 plays. The dude can hit. I was thoroughly impressed. 

Kenny Golladay, Eric Ebron, and Tyler Boyd are some names that haven’t been mentioned that come to mind. 

Golladay has leapfrogged two very good receivers and quietly developed into a legit #1 in Detroit. Ebron came out of nowhere to become a multi-faceted weapon for Luck in Indy. And Boyd is flourishing as a legit playmaker and chain mover like his old Pitt days. 

Gareon Conley has been very solid for the Raiders. Considering his D-line is on a historic pace for least amount of pressure, he is more than holding his own. He is pretty average in run support, but is one hell of a cover corner.

And to think he was rumored to be on the block at one point.

Carl Nassib is having himself a very nice season. 

He was signed after Cleveland cut him on final cut down day and he’s grown into his role. He’s been solid against the run and he’s chipped in with 5.5 sacks in the last 7 games.

He benefits from JPP being on the other side of him, but he’s played very well and is establishing himself as a  key guy on our Dline.

I'm not sure i can even think of a single Jaguars player who has taken a step forward at all this year, much less had anything resembling a "breakout" season.  Though that's probably a big part of why they are where they are this year.  Have to look elsewhere for under the radar breakouts.

Archived