Packers Fire Mike Mccarthy, Joe Philbin named Interim HC

Hawkfan191

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Pure speculation - I think we're going to be hearing about a major blowup that occurred this week or immediately following today's game. Otherwise the timing makes no sense.

Non-speculation - One thing I can say definitively is that this is not a chance to evaluate Philbin. He is not a candidate.

Agreed on the Philbin part.  Could be a way to see how much it was MM's coaching or Rdogers' play on the field.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

Notable that Murphy said he made the decision and not Gutey

Not really. Murphy has the power to fire and hire a coach, not Gutekunst. This was part of the reorganization of the team. Anyone else want to see Landon Collins in G&G?

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

In season after a bad loss definitely sniffs of reactionary

Not after a loss that eliminated us from the playoffs. I could see your point if it came after losing to the Rams or Patriots. 

For all intensive purposes, the season did "end" today. No reason to keep MM on so he could make coaching decisions which would only serve his own interest in self preservation versus perhaps a philosophy that looks towards 2019 (i.e. playing young guys, maybe sitting Rodgers and few other vets, etc.).

Archived