Packers Fire Mike Mccarthy, Joe Philbin named Interim HC

Hawkfan191

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

And continue to watch this team flounder in such an ugly manner for 4 more weeks where there is absolutely no leadership?  That certainly would not inspire confidence in anyone else involved in this organization.  Murphy did the right thing imo. At least everyone knows what time it is now.  

LIS, I don't have an issue with them firing him now.  But they don't stand to gain anything from keeping him around for the rest of the season OR firing him right now.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would tend to agree.  I wanted heads to roll, but the Packers don't really stand to gain anything from firing McCarthy now as opposed to waiting until the Monday after the end of the regular season.  I suppose they get a head start on finding a new HC.

There's that plus it puts everybody on notice their play for the remainder of the season will be viewed critically.
Gute had already turned over more than 50% of the roster - moved on from "less than enthusiastic" performers - and this will serve notice to those that remain.

Tank at your own risk.

Jobs at the NFL level are at a premium and not guaranteed.

Like stocks: past performance does not guarantee future job security.

Just now, Leader said:

There's that plus it puts everybody on notice their play for the remainder of the season will be viewed critically.
Gute had already turned over more than 50% of the roster - moved on from "less than enthusiastic" performers - and this will serve notice to those that remain.

Tank at your own risk.

Jobs at the NFL level are at a premium and not guaranteed.

Like stocks: past performance does not guarantee future job security.

If we're trying to win games at 4-7-1, we fired the wrong guy.

I can see this for GB in they want to get a jump on letting potential candidates that the GB HC position is open for 2019.  

College options, OC, DC around the NFL, etc.  

Sucks for MM, but in is a business and getting a first shot at your top few targets is potentially necessary.

4 minutes ago, ricky said:

Agreed that MM deserved better,  But at the same time, it was time to go. That the Packers didn't bother waiting for the end of the season sent a message to this entire team: no more "Mr. Nice Guy". No coddling. As far as retaining Philblin, no way, no how, not gonna happen. They saw what happened in Miami. What will be more to the point is whether this offense starts to run more smoothly, or whether they're going to continue to play in fits and starts. Will Aaron Jones be used more extensively? Will Rodgers be throwing more short passes? Will the middle of the field be exploited? There are a lot of questions that will be answered in the next four games. If this team can show a pulse, that alone would be an improvement.

You know how long I've been calling for his head. Just don't like the in season moves like this. 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Any chance they could do me another solid and cut Crosby today as well or is that asking too much?

You need therapy over one of the least important positions in a children's game played by adults. Just think about that. You probably think about Crosby daily more than I have in my life

Archived