16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

To recap

GB has already interviewed: Chuck Pagano and Jim Caldwell

McDaniels interviews on Friday

GB interviewing Dan Campbell in New Orleans on Saturday

LaFleur interviewing on Sunday

Thought I saw something about them interviewing Brian Flores sometime this weekend too but haven't seen any confirmation there

I think Philbin is getting his formal interview today.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's water under the bridge now .. wouldn't keep me from hiring him.  I like the fact that a sharp young GM like Ballard wanted to make him their head coach in the first place.  McDaniels is a great OC and he must have interviewed very well to get the offer in the first place.  Ballard rebounded with a good hire, and now maybe the Packers will wind up landing McDaniels.  Hopefully he won't leave us at the altar as well.

Agree with everything here.

11 hours ago, cannondale said:

Turning a blind eye to an obvious pattern of behavior is much worse if you ask me

Is it?  I mean, the Denver situation is pretty explainable.  You don't give young HCs personnel control.  Personally, I'm of the belief that your shouldn't ever give personnel control to the HC.  That's just way too many hats to be wearing.

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

Of course I'm human that have learned from mistakes over my life and career. 

My biggest issue is, has Josh McDaniels learned from his mistakes?  The guy who's single biggest issue in Denver was his treatment of people (players, coaches, front office) is the same guy who decided to abandon about a half dozen coaches who left their jobs and took their families to Indy to follow him.  Those aren't the actions of a coach who's "learned his lesson", are they?  

If he's hired I'll lose a little respect for Gute.  I understand the "WIN AT ALL COST" mentality that teams like Washington and Dallas have but I don't have to agree with it.  Character will always matter to me.

This is a game.  No head coach hire is going to make me miserable. I won't be gnashing my teeth or pounding on my keyboard even if I did expect the hire to fail.  

I don't know if he needed to "learn his lesson" from Denver.

I think it's clear he was in over his head in Denver for what would essentially be a CEO/President position handling coaching, contracts, and personnel at many companies today. Who else has recently proved they can do that? Bill is the only one.

Coaching is more comparable to a Vice President position at a football team if it were a regular company. Just because he wasn't a good CEO/President level employee 10 years ago dosen't mean he can' t handle a VP level leadership role. There are so many examples of people being promoted to leadership positions they weren't suited for only to be successful again at a lesser level.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Is it?  I mean, the Denver situation is pretty explainable.  You don't give young HCs personnel control.  Personally, I'm of the belief that your shouldn't ever give personnel control to the HC.  That's just way too many hats to be wearing.

I've made my points so no need to repeat them. None of them had to do with his win loss or personnel decisions, rather how he went about them. It's all about character for me - plain and simple

As information comes in I am less and less concerned about the Indy situation with McDaniels and more and more concerned about the Denver situation.

The Indy situation is easily explained if you believe that Indy jumped the gun. I can't see how anyone could believe that they didn't mismanage the situation. You don't get out much in the corporate world if you haven't met someone who had agreed in principle to a new job only to have the former employer put them in a room with a checkbook and an organizational flowchart and refuse to leave without retaining that employee. Until the new employee gets past that hurdle you might not want to write his name on that corner office door.

With the Denver situation you really have to believe that he has improved his ability to read people and communicate with them up from a ridiculously low adolescent level. Given his success in the NFL over the intervening years I think he might have done so. I believe that this is the only matter that Gute and Murphy are interested in investigating when it comes to McDaniels. Sitting across the table, does he project a stable and intelligent and mature image that would reflect well on our team?

36 minutes ago, SSG said:

who decided to abandon about a half dozen coaches who left their jobs and took their families to Indy to follow him.

It was 3 coaches who had already signed...3

Eberflus (DC) - was pursued by both Ballard and McDaniels & it has been reported that Ballard was the driving force. 

DeGuliegmo (OL Coach) - was trying to get to be the OL coach in Indy for a few years (direct quote below)

"I tried to come here to Indianapolis when they hired the last line coach (Joe Philbin), but I didn’t have enough connections with Coach (Chuck) Pagano at the time, so I went to work for his brother (John in San Diego). I tried desperately because of the reputation of the organization, the quarterback, and to be really honest with you, I see a group of really talented players in that room despite what’s gone on the last couple of years. Listen, I was so excited to be here because I wanted to be here. I didn’t come here for any particular individual."

Phair (DL Coach) - came to work under Eberflus from Lovie's staff at Illinois due to familiarity with the Tampa-2 defense. Quote from him:

• Was there anger?
  • “No, not at all,’’ Phair said.
  • Did you ask McDaniels for an explanation?
  • “No, I told him I didn’t need an explanation,’’ he said.

McDaniels personally reached out to all three of them and none of them had a problem with him. All three of them may have ended up there anyways. He has assistants lining up to join him in GB, I think this whole thing is overblown. I give way more hesitancy to his time in Denver but if Ballard, a GM I respect was ready to hire him, I don't hesitate to hire him at all. 

24 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Off the top of my head you stated something like "6" or "a half dozen" assistants were left in the streets or something.

There were 3 assistants from what I read, that Josh McDaniels had reportedly been in contact with throughout the process.

You are assuming a LOT about his behavior and its impact without knowing AT ALL how his conversations w/ the assistant coaches went.

I'd seen reports with the word "several" used when referring to the assistant coaches that McDaniels stiffed.  After looking, I've found 4 guys that were hired prior to the arrival of Frank Reich.  Matt Eberflus, Bubba Ventrone, Dave DeGuglielmo and Mike Phair  There were also guys like Jerry Schuplinski.  He either wasn't signed yet or the Colts released him from his contract as he ended up returning to the Patriots.

Of course I don't know the conversations had, I do know they they mistakenly took the word for a guy who pretty obviously can't be trusted.  I guess it's about what "reports" you chose to believe as I'd seen multiple reports that the assistant coaches were "floored" by his decision to abandon.  Thankfully the Colts organization had the class that Josh McDaniels didn't have.

There are any number of accepted methods to assess the psychological make-up of an HC candidate - and an NFL team has all of them at their disposal in sifting through future leaders/coaches

None of you have the educational / professional background to handle this, yet many of you seem to be under the false impression that you do.

Relying on articles from newspapers, quotes on social media etc are fine and dandy - but billion dollar orgs take it quite a bit further, especially the publicly owned ones as they have a duty to their shareholders to carry out ( and document)  a full, thorough and complete search that stands up to scrutiny
And that most certainly includes psychological assessments, deep background checks ( Matt Patricia) interviews with former colleagues and former bosses

There are many ways to get at this info outside of normal channels, none of which are reported in the news and none of which we are privy too.
You wanna play amateur character assassin ? Knock yerself out, but we really don't know jack diddly squat about any of these candidates outside of what we've been fed by an attention-starved media.

This franchise is both talented and super conservative - anybody who gets the Green light has passed tests far more difficult and revealing than anything a football fan can dream up.

Archived