16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Mike Shanahan's name has been mentioned....Not sure we want the ex-coach of the only team that handed us a SB loss though.....Sounds like he's happy with his retirement, so imagine he's staying put....Wonder what Jim Caldwell is doing?....Not sure if he has the temperament to handle an AR though.....

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Ew.  Caldwell.  Ew.  

Anyway, came here to ask when we're gonna sign our next head coach.  Usually around divisional rounds those hires start happening right?

Depends... if they want let’s say Pats Fitzgerald they could sign him as soon as they want.

But anyone in the NFL... not until after the season and anyone on a playoff team... not until their season ends. They can agree in principle however. So most likely end of the season to divisional round.

So uhh, ... I'm gonna walk back what I said about Philbin. I doubt we'll roll with him after the season is up, but am not as confident now after I thought about it for a bit as I was when this was previously suggested. Murphy said they'll take this time to evaluate him as a candidate. Could just be political correctness, but I believe him.

If we do go with him, though, good chance it's because our team looked great over the next four weeks. In which case, I might actually be cool with it.

9 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

https://www.wtmj.com/sports/green-bay-packers/murphy-we-want-to-hire-a-coach-who-will-be-successful-and-bring-us-back-a-championship-

Mark Murphy interview from this morning. Said he doesn't want a guy with a big ego, which may rule out some candidates.

Read between the lines.  Everything Murphy's saying is pointing towards Philbin.  Kind of like when Murphy wanted to name Ball as GM. Mac put his foot down and saved us from that.

Murphy is overly conservative and only comes out of his rut when forced.  

14 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Read between the lines.  Everything Murphy's saying is pointing towards Philbin.  Kind of like when Murphy wanted to name Ball as GM. Mac put his foot down and saved us from that.

He was overly conservative to fire a super bowl winning coach in season? Help move on from Favre? Relive TT? Hire a young coach in Fitzpatrick?  I don’t know if I agree with that or the report MM had the final say for gutey (over ball) who helped can his *** less than a year later .

18 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I could see Murphy liking Fitzgerald. Probably not so much Harbaugh or McDaniels, which is funny because I bet Gute likes both of those guys, especially Harbaugh (per the rumors already out there). 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I could see Murphy liking Fitzgerald. Probably not so much Harbaugh or McDaniels, which is funny because I bet Gute likes both of those guys, especially Harbaugh (per the rumors already out there). 

I could see Murphy liking Fitzgerald too. Considering he already hired him once :)

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

1.He was overly conservative to fire a super bowl winning coach in season? 2.Help move on from Favre? 3.Relive TT? 4.Hire a young coach in Fitzpatrick?  I don’t know if I agree with that or the report MM had the final say for gutey (over ball) who helped can his *** less than a year later .

Art- you're killing me......

1. He waited until it was a foregone conclusion that MM had run its course.

2. He had nothing to do with that.  TT had total control over football operations.

3. Again, he waited until it was a foregone conclusion that TT had run his course.  Maybe a year too late.

4. When did this happen?

MM informed some of his assistants that he was done if Ball became GM.(no link available)  Not sure if MM had any say about Gute.

18 minutes ago, IBleedGreen&Gold said:

Heard an interview with Brady Poppinga today and he said they need to hire a coach the will just get out of the way and let AR call the offensive plays and keep him honest when needed. Develop the scheme together and let AR run with it.

The “Peyton Manning Model”!  It either works or it doesn’t.  Live by the sword or die by it.

33 minutes ago, IBleedGreen&Gold said:

Heard an interview with Brady Poppinga today and he said they need to hire a coach the will just get out of the way and let AR call the offensive plays and keep him honest when needed. Develop the scheme together and let AR run with it.

Poppinga has some really bad takes.

He is a dark horse name... but what are people’s thoughts on Brian Flores? New England’s DC. His background is mainly linebackers.

Apparently he is beloved by the players and there is nothing but amazing things written about his personality, style, etc.

The thought is he could bring in Chad O’Shea, their WR coach, as OC. He is seen as next in line to McDaniels if he leaves.

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

He is a dark horse name... but what are people’s thoughts on Brian Flores? New England’s DC. His background is mainly linebackers.

Apparently he is beloved by the players and there is nothing but amazing things written about his personality, style, etc.

The thought is he could bring in Chad O’Shea, their WR coach, as OC. He is seen as next in line to McDaniels if he leaves.

Sick of Belichick guys, with the exception of O'Brien they pretty much all suck. Not like Patricia is kicking *** in Detroit right now and Flores just took over him and was under him for a while.

Dude just needs more experience, one year of being DC isn't near enough, especially when you had Belichick over your head. 

Archived