16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Developing some WR's would greatly benefit this offense.

Losing Luke Getsy while simultaneously drafting 3 WRs in need of coaching was a tough turn of events.
Happy for Getsy, but GB suffered because of his departure

20 hours ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Mike Shanahan's name has been mentioned....Not sure we want the ex-coach of the only team that handed us a SB loss though.....Sounds like he's happy with his retirement, so imagine he's staying put....Wonder what Jim Caldwell is doing?....Not sure if he has the temperament to handle an AR though.....

We're one of two teams on the coaching carousel, we're going to hear almost everyone at one point or another.  I mean, we might even get a  Herm Edwards mention soon.

18 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

So uhh, ... I'm gonna walk back what I said about Philbin. I doubt we'll roll with him after the season is up, but am not as confident now after I thought about it for a bit as I was when this was previously suggested. Murphy said they'll take this time to evaluate him as a candidate. Could just be political correctness, but I believe him.

If we do go with him, though, good chance it's because our team looked great over the next four weeks. In which case, I might actually be cool with it.

I mean, it's not really political correctness.  The Packers can't hire any current NFL personnel until their season is over.  So even if they know who they wanted right now, they can't hire them until their season ends with their team.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm also adding Monken to my "I'm intrigued" list. He's had TBs offense top 12 in DVOA last two seasons. That was surprising for me to see.

Based off what @bucsfan333 mentioned to me, it seems like the offense is a bit feast or famine.  Maybe he can elaborate.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:21 PM, jleisher said:

Some say it was Reich that is missed the most in Philly.  Compare teams, which team is playing better, the Viking or the Colts?  Or, should I say who isn't playing as predicted?

I could buy that. The Colts have had a tale of two seasons: Utter Scheidt for the first half and somewhat of a meteoric rise in the 2nd half.

I too am intrigued by Monken; I wonder if the likelihood of keeping pettine as DC would increase if you had a guy who was a first time NFL head coach vs a guy who had a chance once before.  Im not sure how that thought process works when putting together a staff. 

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

For all of those who want someone to reign in Rodgers it makes no sense to have a HC who will let AR call the offensive plays.

Imagine, for a moment that we are looking at this completely bazakwardz.  Do you hook a thoroughbred up to  a trotter buggy? No.

A thin slice of the 'pie chart of possibilities' is that Philbin recognizes what MM's ego couldn't.  Let Rodgers go.  No huddle, complete control, run as many plays as you can get in.  Just GO.  Philbin's got nothing to lose and neither does the Pack.

Let Rodgers put his money where his mouth is.  It could be magical. Maybe not. Maybe.

2 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Imagine, for a moment that we are looking at this completely bazakwardz.  Do you hook a thoroughbred up to  a trotter buggy? No.

A thin slice of the 'pie chart of possibilities' is that Philbin recognizes what MM's ego couldn't.  Let Rodgers go.  No huddle, complete control, run as many plays as you can get in.  Just GO.  Philbin's got nothing to lose and neither does the Pack.

Let Rodgers put his money where his mouth is.  It could be magical. Maybe not. Maybe.

Planning and preparation is what makes a successful team.

Freelancing it and letting Rodgers come up with plays on the fly, that is a recipe for disaster. This is when mistakes happen because they were not prepared or were individual players were  unfamiliar with a particular play call because they did not practice it during the week.

Don't forget this is a team game and letting Rodgers do whatever he want sends a terrible message in the dressing room.  People will start playing individually rather than working together - we will get ripped apart against well organised teams. No man is bigger than the team, selfishness must not be tolerated.

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

Planning and preparation is what makes a successful team.

Freelancing it and letting Rodgers come up with plays on the fly, that is a recipe for disaster. This is when mistakes happen because they were not prepared or were individual players were  unfamiliar with a particular play call because they did not practice it during the week.

Don't forget this is a team game and letting Rodgers do whatever he want sends a terrible message in the dressing room.  People will start playing individually rather than working together - we will get ripped apart against well organised teams. No man is bigger than the team, selfishness must not be tolerated.

Jeezus man.  Did I say that Rodgers would 'make up' plays? NO.  Have you watched our offense all year?  All that planning and preparation hasn't worked for ****!  Discuss the parameters of the game plan. Discuss and breakdown the Falcon's defense.  You still have the radio in the helmet.  Let him run it. You've got nothing to lose.  He would call plays they've practiced during the week.

Do you really think I forgot this is a team game? C'mon, get outside the box for a minute. You have a unique situation that won't present itself for a while, if ever.  Take advantage of it.  Let AR run the damn offense.  He either succeeds or falls on his face and is thoroughly humbled.  We can't lose.  Get it?  To continue on the way we've been going is insane, same thing over and over getting the same results. 

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Jeezus man.  Did I say that Rodgers would 'make up' plays? NO.  Have you watched our offense all year?  All that planning and preparation hasn't worked for ****!  Discuss the parameters of the game plan. Discuss and breakdown the Falcon's defense.  You still have the radio in the helmet.  Let him run it. You've got nothing to lose.  He would call plays they've practiced during the week.

Do you really think I forgot this is a team game? C'mon, get outside the box for a minute. You have a unique situation that won't present itself for a while, if ever.  Take advantage of it.  Let AR run the damn offense.  He either succeeds or falls on his face and is thoroughly humbled.  We can't lose.  Get it?  To continue on the way we've been going is insane, same thing over and over getting the same results. 

it's like no one remembers that Matty Flynn set the passing TD record for packers while Rodgers was calling the plays.

I’m going to say it’s an NFL guy with no HC experience.

Deflippo, Carmichael, Taylor and Bienemy are the four I think have the best chance. Deflippo being my favorite to winning it.

The one college coach I can see them being interested is David Shaw from Stanford.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Based off what @bucsfan333 mentioned to me, it seems like the offense is a bit feast or famine.  Maybe he can elaborate.

Monken's only called plays this year. But Koetter took it back. We only scored less than 26 points once under Monken's playcalling.

The 'feast or famine' had more to do with the abundance of turnovers and no running game than anything else. But we've overcome the lack of running game. We moved the ball at will but turned it over on 25% of our drives. That's what killed us more than anything.

We're fifth in yards per drive at 39 and get at least one first down on over 75% of our drives, which is good for fourth. I think we lead the league in explosives and we've got five receivers with over 500 yards (which has only happened two other times in NFL history), with a decent chance to get that number up to six by the end of the year. Which would be an NFL record.

Like I said before, I think Rodgers breaks records with this offense. Like all of them.

17 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Monken's only called plays this year. But Koetter took it back. We only scored less than 26 points once under Monken's playcalling.

The 'feast or famine' had more to do with the abundance of turnovers and no running game than anything else. But we've overcome the lack of running game. We moved the ball at will but turned it over on 25% of our drives. That's what killed us more than anything.

We're fifth in yards per drive at 39 and get at least one first down on over 75% of our drives, which is good for fourth. I think we lead the league in explosives and we've got five receivers with over 500 yards (which has only happened two other times in NFL history), with a decent chance to get that number up to six by the end of the year. Which would be an NFL record.

Like I said before, I think Rodgers breaks records with this offense. Like all of them.

Quit getting me hyped! But seriously, you make a convincing case for him. He might be my new favorite along with Kris Richard.

Archived