16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

Just now, vegas492 said:

I'm not against Fitz.  At all.

I just don't find it at all likely that he comes to GB.  And if he were?  I'd be excited and nervous.  College coach?  Yah, that scares me.  I'd be excited because I think he is a true leader.

The Kirk Ferentz conundrum.  Love so much about his program and staff.  Can you find a leader as a head coach who is able to find some top talent at OC and DC?

Wish we could get:

Hc: Tomlin 

DC: Pettine

OC: Gase

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If you bake the best damn cookies in the entire world, does that automatically mean you would be successful and should open up a business ?

Yeah, pair the best damn baker with a great ingredient procurement guy (hopefully Gute) and a marketing/business guy with a proven track record (Murphy) and you have a successful shop.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Cutler was what, a third year guy in Denver playing relatively well?

His new HC sat him down for a three hour meeting. He spent the first hour and a half talking about how great he (McDaniels) was. Then spent the next hour and a half ripping Cutler. 

What the hell kind of ignoramus, social retard does that?

Whoa, can’t drop the full R in 2018.

It’s impossible to say that’s what occurred for a fact. Both McDaniels and Pat Bowles refuted that.Saying Cutler wouldn’t even respond  to the owner. You’re taking hearsay as fact.

On 12/3/2018 at 11:05 AM, Mr Anonymous said:

Haven't talked to anyone from the Packers yet today, but did have an interesting chat with an executive from an NFC team. He knows I'm a die hard Packers fans and unprompted he says, "So McDaniels is headed to Green Bay to pair up with Rodgers. Pretty much our worst nightmare, but I bet you're excited?" I asked is that for real? He said that people are talking about it like its a foregone conclusion. Added that the potential Green Bay opening factored into McDaniels pulling out of Indy. There was the uncertainty with Luck's shoulder, Gutekunst getting the job (I'm not sure what the connection is), and the chance to win with Rodgers that was enticing enough to put off taking a HC job for another year. Implied that the whole league knew McCarthy was a lame duck going in and this was his final year. Again, the purpose of these calls is to answer questions relating to findings on a year-long training study released to teams today. Before I could ask more he shifted to the study and that was the focus of the remainder of our call.

This doesn't much up with anything I've heard from my guy with the Packers in past conversations. He hasn't ever muttered the name Josh McDaniels, good or bad, candidate or non-candidate. I'm anxious to hear from him but nothing yet.

Looks like my NFC contact was accurate. This conversation was had back on 12/3. Exciting to think McDaniels to Green Bay was their "worst nightmare".

With regard to the second bolded - about to quote what was said by the Packers contact with regard to McD...

On 12/3/2018 at 3:35 PM, Mr Anonymous said:

Got the anticipated call from my guy in Green Bay. He kept it short with regard to internal matters, the call was primarily about the study which my organization just wrapped up. More than any other time I spoke to him I get the sense he's in the dark. He basically admitted as much. Says he was convinced Murphy would step back and "take the training wheels off Brian" as he put it. Told me there would be board members "incensed" that Murphy is retaining all this power when he never set out to when Ted was cast out. But added that most of these board members go along with everything they're told and are just happy to be there. He's not sure what percentage to place on who will have the biggest say on the hire, Murphy or Gute. Wouldn't go along fully with the notion that it would be Murphy calling all the shots in spite of what was said publicly today. "Could be strategic" is all he said. I asked about the 3 names he gave me previously and he said those guys were candidates who emerged from Murphy's most recent "firm" list. Not sure what that meant. (assuming search firm but that would imply they hired out for this while MM was still coach?) He said Gute and Murphy share a fondness for Matt Campbell. I asked about McDaniels and he said if that happens it would be a Gute hire for sure. That's all I got. I came away more confused than anything. I wish I had more but we had to move on to the business at hand. I wanted to ask a million more things.

Sidenote: when this study was commissioned this time last year, we asked why they wanted the results at the beginning of December and didn't want us to chart things through the end of the season. They indicated that teams wanted the data to help evaluate their current staffs and for evaluating candidates in the event of possible changes. January was too late since decisions would already be made or imminent. So I know that teams are using this study as a consideration for their coaching situations. Some teams clearly more than others. I'm sure there are teams that won't even look at this study when they're discussing coaching changes. I won't talk to my guy again unless he calls me with more questions about our findings.

If true that McDaniels is a total Gute hire, which I believe to be the case, it would at the very least be a step in the right direction in terms of power structure. This should be the GM's call.

2 minutes ago, Cheech said:

The Kirk Ferentz conundrum.  Love so much about his program and staff.  Can you find a leader as a head coach who is able to find some top talent at OC and DC?

Wish we could get:

For the love of God, no to Tomlin. He is exactly what he was called, a "glorified cheerleader." I love that fact he's a rah-rah guy, but when your teams play to the level of their competition (losing to the Raiders, coming close to losing to the Bengals) how effective is his rah-rah schtick??? Steelers are more talented, much healthier, and he couldn't get them into the playoffs? His teams are incredibly undisciplined and full of drama. His coaching position of "specialty" is Defensive backs/secondary, and what's been Pittsburgh Achilles heal since about when Troy Polamalu left? Secondary. Adequate talent, but dreadful results year in and year out. Absolutely no to Tomlin. 

8 minutes ago, Cheech said:

I'd hire MM back if he swore he wouldn't touch the offense.  I'm sure Cleveland is in a similar position.  Their OC has been fantastic.  Probably not ready to be a HC.  MM is great as a head coach, but his offense shouldn't go anywhere near Mayfield.

Thats pretty much how I feel at this point.....and was part of my thinking with Philbin. Let him oversee the OC/DC operations - but keep his hands off.
Be it that I'm suffering from "2018 season beat down syndrome" - or what - I cant seem to get overly enthused by these candidates - and - I'm not all too certain GB is the "Golden Jewel of HC Nirvana" some people are portraying it as.

Get one of these hot shot OC's from somewhere - pair him with Pettine - AND KNOCK THE TALENT EVALUATIONS AND ACQUISITIONS OUTTA THE BALL PARK (just KILL it) - and I'll be a happy guy.

40 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah, pair the best damn baker with a great ingredient procurement guy (hopefully Gute) and a marketing/business guy with a proven track record (Murphy) and you have a successful shop.

Assuming the baker doesn't back out at the last minute, leaving families homeless to die a slow death of starvation and hypothermia

Or the baker accepts the offer and then screams at all of the workers and tells them they suck. He then cheats on his taxes. The business goes under, and the business guy and ingredient guy are left homeless to die a slow death of starvation and hypothermia, and a disgruntled cookie fan sticks the baker in the oven and turns it on high for 6 days

8 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Wish we could get:

I'm not a Tomlin fan.  

Also feel strongly that with these openings, Gase is going to be a leading candidate for a HC position.  He's been to the playoffs with Ryan Freakin' Tannehill under center.

Arizona has Rosen.  Jets have Darnold.  Browns have Mayfield.  GB has Rodgers.  If you are looking at a coach who works well with QB's...well....he's a guy with a good track record there.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Assuming the baker doesn't back out at the last minute, leaving families homeless to die a slow death of starvation and hypothermia

Or the baker accepts the offer and then screams at all of the workers and tells them they suck. The business goes under, and the business guy and ingredient guy are left homeless to die a slow death of starvation and hypothermia, and a disgruntled cookie fan sticks the baker in the oven and turns it on high for 6 days

None of which actually happened.

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Assuming the baker doesn't back out at the last minute, leaving families homeless to die a slow death of starvation and hypothermiaOr the baker accepts the offer and then screams at all of the workers and tells them they suck. The business goes under, and the business guy and ingredient guy are left homeless to die a slow death of starvation and hypothermia, and a disgruntled cookie fan sticks the baker in the oven and turns it on high for 6 days

Damn. Ease off on the dystopian viewpoints :)

Archived