AFC vs NFC

Chiefer

Which one?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• AFC
    • NFC

25 minutes ago, game3525 said:

I think both conferences are fairly even this year.

I'd still say NFC by a clear margin overall at the top end.  The top 3 teams in the NFC are just tough to beat IMO overall except vs. each other.    KC is the one team that can hang with them with their O, but their D is so very bad (I mean, teams like OAK & ARI can score 21+ pts on them, and before someone points to LAR, they did that with Gurley as a decoy most of the game)....

The difference is that the middle-tier, the AFC is catching up, though.   

I'd still say NFC by a clear margin overall at the top end.  The top 3 teams in the NFC are just tough to beat IMO overall except vs. each other.    KC is the one team that can hang with them with their O, but their D is so very bad (I mean, teams like OAK & ARI can score 21+ pts on them, and before someone points to LAR, they did that with Gurley as a decoy most of the game)....

The difference is that the middle-tier, the AFC is catching up, though.   

What? NFC is just on a higher tier.

The two best teams in the league are in the NFC (granted I don't think there is that big of a gap between LA and NO from KC and NE). But there isn't a big gap between the two conferences due to the gap between the 2nd tier of the AFC from the 2nd tier of the NFC. I think the group of Pitt, LAC, Houston, and Baltimore is a bit stronger then then the group of CHI, Seattle, Dallas, and Minny. 

Both conferences have two top tier teams (NO/LAR and KC/NE). NFC gets this one. 

I think the NFC has a few teams that are right now significantly underachieving (Minn/GB/Philadelphia/Atlanta) and one team that's overachieving based on what we thought going into the season (Chicago). Conversely, the AFC has two underachievers (Pittsburgh/Jacksonville) and three overachievers based on what we thought going into this season (LAC, Houston, Indianapolis). 

I think it ultimately balances out, but as other people said - 2nd tier of AFC teams is stronger than the 2nd tier of NFC teams.

22 hours ago, game3525 said:

The two best teams in the league are in the NFC (granted I don't think there is that big of a gap between LA and NO from KC and NE). But there isn't a big gap between the two conferences due to the gap between the 2nd tier of the AFC from the 2nd tier of the NFC. I think the group of Pitt, LAC, Houston, and Baltimore is a bit stronger then then the group of CHI, Seattle, Dallas, and Minny. 

I'd point to one major difference between NO/LAR, KC & NE - NO, LAR & KC all have won 3+ road games against good teams.   NE has won 1x - and gotten their butts whipped by DET/TEN on the road.    You can't point to that for those 3 other teams.  

It's a nitpick as I agree with the overall premise - the AFC 2nd tier is catching up to the NFC's 2nd tier - but I'd honestly put NE into a 2nd tier, and that NFC top 2 just crushes anyone from the AFC right now.  The Pats may or may not get that 2nd seed, and at home, I don't discount them at all.   But I don't see them anywhere near as dangerous or elite as the NFC's top 2.  And I don't see KC matching those 2 because of their balance issues are less fixable (again, I get the KC argument will be they lost to LAR on road in a tight game, but I'd point out the Talib return and Gurley being a decoy more than balanced that out).

On 12/5/2018 at 1:46 AM, ET80 said:

Both conferences have two top tier teams (NO/LAR and KC/NE). NFC gets this one. 

I think the NFC has a few teams that are right now significantly underachieving (Minn/GB/Philadelphia/Atlanta) and one team that's overachieving based on what we thought going into the season (Chicago). Conversely, the AFC has two underachievers (Pittsburgh/Jacksonville) and three overachievers based on what we thought going into this season (LAC, Houston, Indianapolis). 

I think it ultimately balances out, but as other people said - 2nd tier of AFC teams is stronger than the 2nd tier of NFC teams.

Is Houston overachieving? Didn't everyone assume they had the best chance to unseat the Jaguars in the AFC South?

Archived