Packers fire Winston Moss

Brad gluckman

27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Maybe Moss was referring to Murphy being a poor leader. 

While everybody is celebrating, I am seriously petrified that we've got a Darth Sidius in the prequel trilogy thing going on right now. 

I still believe McCarthy was not the problem.  Really hope I'm wrong and we come out strong offensively and defensively against the Falcons and we improve significantly next year, but I really believe McCarthy was not the problem and that we would be in the playoffs right now, ahead of the Bears, if McCarthy had been given control over the roster and allowed to get the pieces he needed to play the way he wanted us to. 

I just don't see how you can stick saying that McCarthy was in no way part of the problem.

He clearly wasn't the whole problem, but it is possible that with a new coach the issues would go away, even the parts that weren't McCarthy. 

Sometimes, when you're in charge, and your subordinates screw up, you get fired and you get too much blame.  But you picked the subordinates or worked with those subordinates.  You are part of the problem.  It isn't always fair but that's the game.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

I just don't see how you can stick saying that McCarthy was in no way part of the problem.

First, LOL.  I have literally never said this. 

I suggested Moss in that Tweet was referring to Murphy, not that it wasn't referring to McCarthy, but I still don't think Moss was referring to McCarthy.  At all.  Moss was, I believe, the only coach on the staff who had been there McCarthy's entire time.  You really think he's going to throw McCarthy under the bus after 13 years with him?  Do you really think that? 

24 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I suggested Moss in that Tweet was referring to Murphy, not that it wasn't referring to McCarthy, but I still don't think Moss was referring to McCarthy.  At all.  Moss was, I believe, the only coach on the staff who had been there McCarthy's entire time.  You really think he's going to throw McCarthy under the bus after 13 years with him?  Do you really think that? 

I think Moss was referring to all of GB front office. Why did Murphy not see what was going on with TT? Why did TT/GUTE not see what was going on with MM and Rodgers? Why did MM not step up and put Rodgers in his place?  I think he did his best Rodgers impression, and was throwing jabs at all of his boss/bosses.  I think he didn't anticipate getting fired, since others were doing the same thing with no consequences. 

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

Would never want Tony Dungy near the Packers.  One of the most overrated coaches ever.  Hard to fathom he has a job on tv doing commentating.  

Um...what?  He was the architect of the team that Gruden coattailed to a Super Bowl win.

(Not that I want the Packers to hire him)

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

To me, it looked like Moss was simply commenting on the future hire - don't grab one of the hotshot up and comers; instead get a "leader of men" who'll demand the best from Rodgers and the team.  

I didn't see anything out of line with the tweet.

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

That was my initial thought but

Philbin did address the tweet today.  Feels like he would have said it wasn't his twitter if it wasn't his twitter.

I wrote my post before I saw Philbin's press conference, and I would agree with your assessment. It just seems so odd to me that Moss, a man that seems to be of very few words, would go about addressing these situations on a platform which he seems to be so against. Then using #thankstwitter doesn't seems very weird also. Very unprofessional, but so is refusing to speak to the media. 

Plot twist: It actually isn't Winston Moss, but our incompetent franchise doesn't figure that out, and fires Winston while finding out later it's a fake account. Regardless, he deserves to be fired in my mind anyways. 

All in all, I suspect it is him. Just a very weird situation.

Dungy. As an old pirate friend of mine used to say, "He's naught but a skellington covered with skin." He was OK in his time.  Not a fan of his commentary.

I'm sure it's more a case of someone who gets asked the same stupid question every time a coach gets fired and is doing his best to stop it early.

18 minutes ago, th87 said:

To me, it looked like Moss was simply commenting on the future hire - don't grab one of the hotshot up and comers; instead get a "leader of men" who'll demand the best from Rodgers and the team.  

I didn't see anything out of line with the tweet.

If you want to tell to Murphy/Gute, I'm all about it.  But to do it over Twitter.  No that's the wrong platform.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If you want to tell to Murphy/Gute, I'm all about it.  But to do it over Twitter.  No that's the wrong platform.

I agree - it's usually not a good look, but not a fireable offense per se.

I'm just saying that that shouldn't be why he was fired.  It should've been for perennial underperformance (which I think ended up being a factor, and no friend to protect him anymore).

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No wonder this dude got interviews for HCs and sources said it was pretty much a "no way" from every team. 

His career has been in a downward spiral ever since he went on the interview tour.
He's not even a viable Rooney Rule interview any more and I don't think he gets another NFL job in any capacity.

Archived