Does Mike Tomlin get fired if Steelers miss the playoffs?

Blackstar12

5 hours ago, VanS said:

This thread is offensive.  Mike Tomlin has the second highest winning percentage of any active coach (after Bill Belichek).  He's also won a Super Bowl.  He should not be on the hot seat for having one poor season.

I don't care what ya'll say but if he was white, a thread like this would not be made.  Mike Tomlin has earned the right to have one bad season after his consistent success for a decade plus.  

This is an absolute no fly zone - we do not go into race on these forums. 

8 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Wow you were quick to play the race card on that one.  John Harbaugh was on the hot seat as recently as a month ago and it had nothing to do with his race or his overall record 

Yep.  On top of that, the way people talk about Tomlin now is similar to how people talked about Andy Reid towards the end of his tenure in Philly.    Andy Reid was still a capable coach and was quite accomplished, but it was becoming clear his run in Philly was coming to an end.

If Tomlin leaves the Steelers, he will likely be hired by another team pretty fast.

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

If Tomlin leaves the Steelers, he will likely be hired by another team pretty fast.

No doubt. If you're a team like TB, I don't know how you don't jump all over yourself to try and make that happen. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

No doubt. If you're a team like TB, I don't know how you don't jump all over yourself to try and make that happen. 

Well, TB will be hiring a new head coach THIS offseason, and I can guarantee Tomlin wont be available until 2021...maybe 2020 if the team is terrible next year.

6 hours ago, VanS said:

This thread is offensive.  Mike Tomlin has the second highest winning percentage of any active coach (after Bill Belichek).  He's also won a Super Bowl.  He should not be on the hot seat for having one poor season.

I don't care what ya'll say but if he was white, a thread like this would not be made.  Mike Tomlin has earned the right to have one bad season after his consistent success for a decade plus.  

Sorry to hear that your delicate delicate sensibilities have been offended, but you can put your race card away.  When you are a team that some people think could be a Super Bowl team and you lose to a 2-9 team that many think will end up with the first pick in next year's draft, you should expect to see some threads like this. 

If you want to be offended, watch the Steelers/Raiders game.  If that doesn't work, and you want to be REALLY offended, check out the thread where some guy predicted that the Packers would finish the season with the best record in the NFL this season.  xD

Why does this type of thing get brought up seemingly every year? Every year the Steelers lose or perform poorly against some garbage team. It feels like every time they play Oakland they lose, regardless of how good or bad Oakland is.

If Tomlin wasn't fired the last 200 times this happened, why would he be fired now?

Belichick has coached against actual coaching legends. Guys who actually earned being in the HOF because of their new ideas and successes.

When he sees Mike Tomlin's Steelers on the schedule, he laughs. Quietly to himself in his office and with Ernie Adams as they talk about how Tomlin only reviews about 4 games worth of film a week while the Patriots have a database on coaches and teams going back decades. Which is probably why they know they can use that flea-flicker trick play they've used on the Steelers about 5 times in the past any game they want and he'll be just as clueless as ever.

No, seriously, the Patriots run the same sorts of trick plays everytime the play the Steelers and manufacture massive gains. And EVERY SINGLE TIME the Steelers players are bamboozled by it and baffled after the game as to why.

But it doesn't stop there - the Steelers were somehow completely thrown off by the mere fact that the Patriots went up-tempo. I mean, at least against Harbaugh's Ravens Belichick had to actually come up with something innovative and unique to win based on the rules.

Mike Tomlin isn't even Andy Reid (a comparison that was stolen from me by certain other people to illustrate how even a competent coach can become stale if he stays too long) because Any Reid is an actual expert on one side of the ball who can actually set trends. Mike Tomlin is Andy Reid on game-days mixed with average x's and o's talent. His one saving grace is that he has never lost his locker room.

Tomlin has a great resume on paper. If he goes to another team, I'd bet everything I own that he falls flat on his face. At most he has one flash in the pan season in him. He's never assembled a staff and he doesn't attract or develop top tier coaching talent. The guy doesn't even have a coaching tree despite being one of the longest tenured coaches around. He doesn't have a great eye for talent. He's not an innovator. No one is looking at what the Steelers are doing and saying we have to emulate that. Ever. At least not since 2008 or so with **** Lebeau.

19 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Why does this type of thing get brought up seemingly every year? Every year the Steelers lose or perform poorly against some garbage team. It feels like every time they play Oakland they lose, regardless of how good or bad Oakland is.

If Tomlin wasn't fired the last 200 times this happened, why would he be fired now?

They won't fire him. No Steelers fan thinks he's going to be fired. He has more job security than the Pope. Not because  of his actual ability, but because the Steelers are in love with the notion that that's how they do business.

Archived