Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Anyone else concerned about the news that Vic Fangio has watched very little film, "less than 150 plays" of our 2018 team?

Of course MHR makes excuses for it in the linked article but, I've always been of the belief that games are won and lost in the offseason. This guy just continues to rub me the wrong way. 

Not really. I'd be curious to know how many hours Donatell and Munchak have spent in the film room.

• Like 1

I have to admit this is the first offseason in awhile that I have no read on what Denver is going to do in the draft.

Elway was very transparent early in his tenure in Denver and even of late it still seemed you could at least have an expectation. 

IMO, not this year.  All the stuff on Elway being smitten on Lock makes me think he’s the pick if available, but all the talk from Elway about Flacco just entering his prime makes me think they aren’t going QB at #10.  Then ILB makes a ton of sense and White/Bush are excellent prospects, but reportedly Fangio doesn’t think either are as good as Roquan Smith, doesn’t mean they won’t take one of them, but also raises some flags.  OL could be in play, but they’ve also came out and said they’re comfortable with what they have now.  Klis has also reported they’re looking for a burner at WR, which would throw Metcalf and Hollywood Brown in the mix (as well as others later in the draft) but then they bring in Harry for 1 of 30 predraft visits, who doesn’t fit that mold.  Fangio has now also came out and said that some of these visits are smokescreens.  Then there are the draftniks who think Denver could use another DL, which throws a lot of players in the mix, not only at #10 but in the 2nd/3rd.

It’s annoying, but I must say I like it better than being transparent to a point that internet fans know what is going on.

As of now, even with a trade back I could see:

Haskins, Lock, White, Bush, Hockenson, Fant, Williams, Taylor, Dillard, Lindstrom, Metcalf, Brown, Watkins, Gary, Oliver, and a part of me isn’t counting out Burns with Denver moving Chubb into more of a 3/4 DE role.

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Haskins, Lock, White, Bush, Hockenson, Fant, Williams, Taylor, Dillard, Lindstrom, Metcalf, Brown, Watkins, Gary, Oliver, and a part of me isn’t counting out Burns with Denver moving Chubb into more of a 3/4 DE role.

It'd sure be nice to have an excellent "old school" TE on the roster.

21 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Anyone else concerned about the news that Vic Fangio has watched very little film, "less than 150 plays" of our 2018 team?

Of course MHR makes excuses for it in the linked article but, I've always been of the belief that games are won and lost in the offseason. This guy just continues to rub me the wrong way. 

I'm not really concerned. He might just be lying. Regardless, he has a tremendous track record as a defensive coach. I would think the last thing we would worry about are his chops in that respect.

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not really concerned. He might just be lying. Regardless, he has a tremendous track record as a defensive coach. I would think the last thing we would worry about are his chops in that respect.

AAA is having a case of the rattle being thrown out of the pram.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, germ-x said:

Add Bradbury to that list.

Also, I can't imagine Chubb at DE. He'd be asked to play alot of 3-tech and I just don't think he's got the size. I think his speed would be negated on the inside as an every down DE.

If we aren't going to get a Haskins or White, I'd want to trade back to the 15-20 range and pick up a 3rd and/or future pick.  Might as well build the team as best we can to provide a solid base for our eventual (whenever ?) QBOTF. 

What is a concern in my opinion are the rumours around Harris. It is suggested that Elway won't talk extension because he wants to keep open the prospect of a trade while Harris wants talks before the draft. Now if Elway was to trade Harris or let him walk in FA then I would be seriously p*ssed off.

12 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

What is a concern in my opinion are the rumours around Harris. It is suggested that Elway won't talk extension because he wants to keep open the prospect of a trade while Harris wants talks before the draft. Now if Elway was to trade Harris or let him walk in FA then I would be seriously p*ssed off.

We have 4m to spend between salary cap and draft pool. They need to be creative or cut/trade some players to extend Chris Harris money.

After the draft if they have what they want in position we will see a trade or cut to make room for the extension. Before the draft is very complicated

2 hours ago, French Fan said:

We have 4m to spend between salary cap and draft pool. They need to be creative or cut/trade some players to extend Chris Harris money.

This is why I fear for people like Will Parks. He's due $2m this year and whilst his play is definitely deserving of that salary, he'd be a prime cut candidate given our cap situation (Parks carries a dead cap of just $25k).

That said, we need to remember that we currently have 63 players on our roster (a ton more by camp), of which many will be cut with very little dead cap (if any), thus I imagine our 'true' cap position right now is about $10-15m.