Vance Joseph to be fired at end of season (PFT)

Scalamania

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Say what you like about Cousins, but he's better than Case Keenum... probably.

To be clear, I'm not saying Elway is right to have wanted Shanahan or Cousins. But the power struggle is very interesting. Also Vance joseph is a trash coach so yeah

2017 Case Keenum had fewer turnovers than 2018 Kirk Cousins. Cousins has the advantage in yards, attempts and TD passes. Both seem to play terribly against good teams. I'm not sure a turnover prone QB fits what Zimmer wants from the position. 

How many head coaches will Elway have to hire before they realize that maybe Elway is the problem.

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd guess half of the Vikings fan base would have been okay with Cousins going to Denver.

Oh no way, I’d still rather have cousins for 28M a year than Keenum for 18M a year any day of the week.  Keenum had the luxury of playing for us the one year out of the last 5 or so that our o line hasn’t been total trash

Just now, footbull3196 said:

Oh no way, I’d still rather have cousins for 28M a year than Keenum for 18M a year any day of the week.  Keenum had the luxury of playing for us the one year out of the last 5 or so that our o line hasn’t been total trash

In no way did I say that Keenum would return to MN in that scenario. I think half would have preferred Teddy. 

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

In no way did I say that Keenum would return to MN in that scenario. I think half would have preferred Teddy. 

I saw enough of bridgewater to know that betting on him and his knee wasn’t the answer, even if he does look back to himself at this point.  His ceiling is pretty limited and Cousins can at least throw us back into games

Elway deserves a ton of heat for his inability to ID the right QB other than Manning (Oz, Lynch and now Keenum) and his terrible choice of VJ as HC over Kyle Shanahan.  He’s got enough leash from his past successes and other strengths as a GM that he will get 1 more shot to address HC next year and QBOTF no later than 2020.  After that he’s in the crosshairs.  

But to be clear - Shanahan Sr. was targeted out solely out of the belief he could persuade Cousins to come to DEN and at a discount.   When that fell through the idea of Shanny Sr. fell through.   The org mouthpieces Paige & Klis leaked the story and also the fact the org. won’t be considering Shanny Sr. isn’t part of the 2019 search.   

The leak timing was no coincidence.  The fans were calling for VJ’s head after we went 3-6.  The call quieted down after that improbable 3-win streak (which for LAC and PIT a 6-0 TO margin and awful play calling and clock management by LAC were the real drivers).   But the call volume was at a full on roar after the losses to SF and now CLE.   The leak was basically a way to get the fans to be patient.  And to spin that Keenum wasn’t Elway’s plan A.   

First leak (Paige went in depth): 

Then the punch line for 2019: 

Add it up - this was a team leak to spin the team knew VJ was iffy and tried very hard for Cousins over Keenum.   It’s setting up the fall for VJ after this year and eventually Keenum after next (10M dead money next year out of his 21M cap hit makes his stay for 2019 sadly a near lock). The spin from Klis is already talking about how losing Sanders DT and our starting TE Heuermann accelerated the downfall - it’s BS but can be sold to casual fans for a while longer.  But keeping VJ can’t be. Thus the leak.  

2 hours ago, N4L said:

People talk. 

Could be that Elway told someone he trusts outside of the organization, while trying to get an idea of coaches that he could hire. That's very likely. 

It doesn't seem like Elway runs a tight ship. There have been leaks out of this FO for years. 

Maybe, but...

The longtime Bengals coach and the team are planning to part ways after the season ends

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marvin-lewis-reportedly-planning-to-leave-bengals-after-2017-team-caught-off-guard/

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Not to mention Chris Harris.

But he is pretty bad, and elway has to deflect blame somewhere

This...

All the news leading up to the draft was they need a QB, instead they settled on Keenum. 

Injuries and the inability to make poo shine should get any coach fired but that's not always the case. 

Most Broncos fans were pretty sure this decision would be made.

And for what its worth, I would rather handicap my team with 3+ years of Kirk and his meh ceiling than even two years of Case. He is putrid. So bad he nearly makes the Broncos unwatchable. His arm is hilariously weak. And we are literally stuck with him at QB because the draft sucks, the FA class sucks and he is guaranteed 10M next season.

Vance and Case were easily Elway's worst decisions as GM. Followed closely by trying all he could to overpay Brock. Those are a hat-trick of horrid decisions. I will let the 2018 draft balance out one of those three bad moves, but that still leaves two HORRIBLE moves. Elway isnt the golden boy anymore, but he is still above replacement level.

11 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Say what you like about Cousins, but he's better than Case Keenum... probably.

Not sure I agree with this. 

Cousins has 9 more touchdown passes and 4 more turnovers this year.  For what what the Vikings needed out of a QB, and for cap space value, I still think sticking with Keenum was the best choice. 

Keenum had 4 less touchdowns and 9 less turnovers with the same receivers last year as Cousins has this year. 

Keenum has cap hits 9 million and 8 million less than Cousins over the next two years. 

I think Keenum is more likely to win a Super Bowl with strong talent around him than Cousins is. 

Cousins is not a Super Bowl QB with his turnovers. 

He has gone three games without a turnover only three times in his career.  Other than those three three game stretches, he hasn't gone more than one game without a turnover. 

Keenum has gone five games in a row without a turnover (this year), three games in a row twice (last year). 

With the Vikings/Broncos built on being strong running teams with stronger defenses, all you need is a QB willing and able to not turn the ball over and they can Foles/Flacco a Super Bowl win.  Don't think Cousins is capable of that. 

Archived