Ravens to sign John Harbaugh to an extension

game3525

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Be careful what you wish for...John is by far the better coach. Jim grates fiercely on his team and burns through bridges like an arsonist. He is extremely stubborn to the point of foolishness. In game adjustments are rare.

He's much better as a college coach...don't know if Michigan fans would agree.

I’ve heard this multiple times, I feel like him and Alex Smith were projects of the D.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyTiger said:

Hey what about the Shapiro article just last month saying "they were parting ways"?  Must be easy to be a reporter. Shapiro can just guess something say it is from a source then take credit if its right or blame the source if its wrong. Easy money.

You just described 95% of the media. They all do it.

3 hours ago, game3525 said:

Off-topic, but a lot of fans of teams with competent coaches just don't realize how good they have it. Like you think your coach with a +500 record is bad, now imagine having Mike McCoy or Vance Joseph running your team?

John Harbaugh since 2012 is exactly a .500 coach, and before that he was basically just riding the coat tails of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Or...

1. Draft a QB once every 10 years and immediately have him lead a playoff contender in year1.

2. Have one losing season in 11 years, without a HOF QB making it easy.

Lots of ways to spin Harbaugh's tenure here, but "one losing season in 11 years" could also be spun as "1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years and none since 2014".

As a Browns fan, I have mixed feelings about this. Harbaugh hasn't been a great coach, but he also hasn't had the greatest talent on offense to work with. I'd say Baltimore's record in recent years has for the most part reflected their talent level.

Ultimately, you can do a lot worse than John Harbaugh as your coach. They probably should wait until next year before giving him an extension, though.

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

As a Browns fan, I have mixed feelings about this. Harbaugh hasn't been a great coach, but he also hasn't had the greatest talent on offense to work with. I'd say Baltimore's record in recent years has for the most part reflected their talent level.

Ultimately, you can do a lot worse than John Harbaugh as your coach. They probably should wait until next year before giving him an extension, though.

Yeah, he isn't a bum. The Ravens usually come to play. The defense always seems strong, even when they have a glaring weakness they seem to pick it up most years with other aspects of the defense. The offense hasn't been special but they are always in games. They are averaging 9 more yards per game with Jackson than Flacco, might change this week since they don't play the Raiders, Bucs, Bengals, Chiefs or Falcons but they have won 4 out of 5 since their 3 game losing streak in which all of the rumors were that Harbaugh was done. Things can change quickly in the NFL.

11 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

John Harbaugh since 2012 is exactly a .500 coach, and before that he was basically just riding the coat tails of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

Lots of ways to spin Harbaugh's tenure here, but "one losing season in 11 years" could also be spun as "1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years and none since 2014".

No, it couldn't. My "spin" is factually true, yours is not. Harbaugh has missed the playoffs 4 times total, so no idea where you are getting 1 appearance in 8 years.

As an outsider I think this is great news I understand he's had his failings as a head coach but it's going to maintain a solidity with the team. Too often when you change coaches you see a really bad transition and a lot of growing pains. Many times new coaches want to shuffle around the roster and make major changes for as John Harbaugh will keep with the directions that he was going with the team and I feel like the team will be better for it

1 hour ago, SBLIII said:

It's not a limited roster though.

It's not so much now, that's true, but it has been hampered. When a team pays a QB a boatload of money, the expectation is that he's a franchise guy--that he is good for a few wins each year based solely on his talent. Flacco isn't that sort of QB. Now...other teams are forced into this kind of mistake too, because of the economics of the game, but Flacco's even more limited than most. He's merely "good". 

There arent really many great NFL head coaching candidates out there.    Regardless of how you feel about Harbs, no one can claim he is a flat out bad coach.     At worst, he is average, and usually pretty good.    

Unfortunately, the Ravens IMO are making the right choice.

Archived