OROY

pnies20

50 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Barkley is only the 3rd rookie ever to record 2000 scrimmage yards. The others were Eric Dickerson and Edgerrin James, who both won OROY. 15 touchdowns, 91 catches, and 0 fumbles. He is the rookie of the year. 

Baker is the first ever rookie ever to record 27 tds for the season. The others were...

uh nobody. 

6 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

barkley's got this. it was only a matter of time until peyton's record got broken, the game is not the same. peyton's record is still more impressive to me than baker's.

Obviously the game has changed a bit, but what about Peyton’s record is more impressive?

He through for 26 TD’s, which was great. Of course he had a future HOF WR to throw to and a future HOF RB beside him in the backfield.

Baker had 2.5 less games, a significantly higher completion percentage, half the interceptions, nearly identical total yardage, higher ypa, higher air yards/attempt, more wins, and meh roster to work with.

4 hours ago, CKS97 said:

The Barkley/Baker debate is going to light message boards ablaze

I hope baker loses. He’s going to come in next year pissed off. He was visibly angry on the sideline because he lost a meaningless game last night. It’s going to be scary.

15 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

I hope baker loses. He’s going to come in next year pissed off. He was visibly angry on the sideline because he lost a meaningless game last night. It’s going to be scary.

It wasn’t meaningless in terms of post season for sure, but he lost the first ever Heisman duel. (He also lost to his former teammates Zeus and Andrews though im sure that’s not as big a deal). Thus bragging rights go to Lamar.

And it’s not like one could claim that Baker had the better performance. Because while he passed for well over 350 yards, he had three picks. While Lamar led an offense that put up 296 rushing yards, with 90 and 2 scores coming from him, while passing for 175 yards before they shutdown the passing attack and went conservative. He turned the ball over once.

So all in all, I could see why Baker would be frustrated. It’s about bragging rights. He didn’t out duel the opposing rookie QB and he lost. All things I’m sure a player has on their personal goals list.

47 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Oh no! I’m sure everyone is scared of Baker and his Napoleon complex. It’s only a matter of time before he bursts an important blood vessel from all his angst 

In terms of the OP, now that the season has ended I can answer this question.

I’d go with Saquon Barkley. He put up over 2000 all purpose yards and 15 TDs as a rookie. Heck remove the rookie portion out of the equation and it’s still HIGHLY impressive. He put up better stats than Zeke and Gurley this season, proving to be the best RB in the game. This season he has also eclipsed the best season Zeke has ever had and is just below Gurley’s best showing last season. This all with defenses keying on him because the Giants only have a few threats to contain.

Barkley has already made a pro bowl and will likely also make 1st team All-Pro.

I understand that what Baker has done in Cleveland has given them a lot of hope, but it’s not all Baker. They have a great OL (their tackles are only average to above average, but they’ve got a top notch interior OL) and a top 10 pass defense. He also has a pro bowl talent WR in his prime with a 1st round TE. Plus he has a top 5-10 RB in Nick Chubb. 

Baker has done a great job. But to give him the OROY over a guy who just proved to be the best player at his position, as a rookie, would to me be asinine. He broke Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson’s rookie record, sure. But that’s the only argument I can give him.

Turning Cleveland from a 0-16 team to a 7-8-1 team isn’t something I can “credit” Baker for as Hue was a historically bad head coach. Had Hue just been a “normally bad HC” the Browns likely go from a 3-4 win season last year to a 7-8-1 win season. And then stacking THAT resume alongside what Barkley has accomplished makes literally no sense.

That would be like me saying Quenton Nelson deserves ROTY because of how him coming to the team has turned the Colts around. Going from a bottom 5 team last season to a playoff team. Or like me saying Lamar Jackson should be ROTY for taking a Baltimore team that hasn’t made the playoffs in 4 years from a 4-5 start to finish 6-1 down the stretch and make it into the playoffs by leading a historically dominant rushing attack. I would be giving each player too much credit for a team turnaround and using that credit to justify them leapfrogging a player who has put forth a superior campaign. 

So for me, while I do register Baker’s impact into the equation, I still would put him behind Barkley. I won’t say the decision “isn’t close” but for me it’s definitely decidedly so.

Archived