Redskins Release Safety DJ Swearinger; Claimed by Cardinals

MKnight82

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

A real present from WAS FO to ARI, Budda Baker at SS and Swearinger at FS is a great combo there now for 2019.   Fitting it’s on Christmas. 

No secondary needs for Arizona now. They should consider trading down in the draft and picking up more OL talent. Jonah or Greg would do wonders for Rosen's future.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:09 PM, PapaShogun said:

I hated when he was the 49ers DC. Has he ever overseen a quality defense?

Nope, I don't think so.  We ended up with him the last go-round because Gruden was on the hot seat, and no top tier coordinator wanted the job, only to risk going back on the market a year later.  Not to mention, he also has that incident with Wade Phillips.  So it was no surprise that we ended up with another one of Gruden's cronies from Tampa Bay instead of someone else.  

On 12/24/2018 at 5:01 PM, ET80 said:
On 12/24/2018 at 4:53 PM, incognito_man said:

He will get claimed by the first team in the waiver order. Fans of every other team can stop getting their hopes up.

If the Cardinals are the first up, yup. He was over there before, right? Resurrected his career as a Cardinal, I think.

Have to get up prreettttttty early in the morning to get anything past us.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

And I believe Washington is paying just about all of the contract too.  Idiots.  

No, WAS is only on the hook for the signing bonus, so there's dead money for 2019 coming, but the final game and 2019 4.2M salary is all on ARI.  Still, for a pro-bowl FS who's a shutdown TE cover guy - easy call.   

Thing is, if WAS wanted to send a message - the CBA allows them to suspend a player for conduct detrimental to the team for 1 game.  They could have then either tried to repair the relationship in the offseason (especially if they fired Manusky), or traded Swearinger for anything in the offseason and salvaged some return.  Instead, Swearinger loses no $, and ARI gets him for free.   So WAS' message was empty, and they lost him with nothing in return - when if they just suspended him for Week 17 (and the CBA allows them to do that), they could have explored getting a Day 3 pick for him, and still ended up costing Swearing a week's paycheque.  Instead, Swearinger gets nothing lost, and they end up with nothing but a hole at their FS position - which only increases the leverage of Clinton-Dix in being retained (different positions, but does WAS really want to be looking for 2 safeties now?).  Well done FO....SMH.

And worse, WAS probably now has yet another huge PR problem on their hands, because although their DC deserved the criticism, they look like complete fools if they fire him after letting Swearinger go for his comments.   So likely WAS loses Swearinger for nothing in return, keeps the DC Manusky to save face when he's actually a big part of the problem, and yeah, they keep 2 other guys who are even bigger PR problems for 2019's fanbase in Mason & Reuben Foster.     WAS somehow is the only franchise I know to triple down on stupid in this instance (cut Swearinger instead of just suspending him, keeping guys who are bigger problems than him with the fanbase and PR, and now paint themselves where firing Manusky is now problematic because of their handling of Swearinger...SMH).

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

No, WAS is only on the hook for the signing bonus, so there's dead money for 2019 coming, but the final game and 2019 4.2M salary is all on ARI.  Still, for a pro-bowl FS who's a shutdown TE cover guy - easy call.   

Thing is, if WAS wanted to send a message - the CBA allows them to suspend a player for conduct detrimental to the team for 1 game.  They could have then either tried to repair the relationship in the offseason (especially if they fired Manusky), or traded Swearinger for anything in the offseason and salvaged some return.  Instead, Swearinger loses no $, and ARI gets him for free.   So WAS' message was empty, and they lost him with nothing in return - when if they just suspended him for Week 17 (and the CBA allows them to do that), they could have explored getting a Day 3 pick for him, and still ended up costing Swearing a week's paycheque.  Instead, Swearinger gets nothing lost, and they end up with nothing but a hole at their FS position - which only increases the leverage of Clinton-Dix in being retained (different positions, but does WAS really want to be looking for 2 safeties now?).  Well done FO....SMH.

And worse, WAS probably now has yet another huge PR problem on their hands, because although their DC deserved the criticism, they look like complete fools if they fire him after letting Swearinger go for his comments.   So likely WAS loses Swearinger for nothing in return, keeps the DC Manusky to save face when he's actually a big part of the problem, and yeah, they keep 2 other guys who are even bigger PR problems for 2019's fanbase in Mason & Reuben Foster.     WAS somehow is the only franchise I know to triple down on stupid in this instance (cut Swearinger instead of just suspending him, keeping guys who are bigger problems than him with the fanbase and PR, and now paint themselves where firing Manusky is now problematic because of their handling of Swearinger...SMH).

Dix might have gained leverage with Swearinger's departure - but he's not gonna fill any holes on the field. As a GBP fan, I've watched his play since day one - and have checked in on WA games to see if its changed. It hasnt. He's not all that hot in coverage - avoids contact like the plague - and takes bad angles (possibly to avoid that contact). Swearinger's a hitter. HHCD's a lover.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:
On 12/24/2018 at 5:01 PM, ET80 said:
On 12/24/2018 at 4:53 PM, incognito_man said:

He will get claimed by the first team in the waiver order. Fans of every other team can stop getting their hopes up.

If the Cardinals are the first up, yup. He was over there before, right? Resurrected his career as a Cardinal, I think.

Have to get up prreettttttty early in the morning to get anything past us.

@incognito_man and @ET80, solving the case. I think we need a spin off buddy/cop show...

Archived