Free ain't free in the NFL...

vike daddy

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

They really aren’t. Only a small percentage of the players are getting paid handsomely. 

The middle class, which still makes up most of the NFLPA’s membership, is getting smaller every year. The NFL has a massive wage gap between the top 5-6 guy on the roster and the rest. 

That small percentage at the top get paid as they are because they hit the open market. That's the difference. Compensation really isn't based on ability, it's whether or not you hit the open market compared to signing a deal prior to hitting free agency. That is what the NFLPA wanted compared to the past system where rookies got the big contracts, competition amongst teams driving up the price.

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

That small percentage at the top get paid as they are because they hit the open market. That's the difference. Compensation really isn't based on ability, it's whether or not you hit the open market compared to signing a deal prior to hitting free agency. That is what the NFLPA wanted compared to the past system where rookies got the big contracts, competition amongst teams driving up the price.

Lots of players are hitting the open market tomorrow. Only a small percentage of them are getting these big contracts. The majority of them will be looking at bargain deals, one year deals, or league minimum deals. 

The NFLPA got what they wanted in terms of money going towards veterans instead of rookies, yes. But an unforeseen side effect of that, has been a greater and greater wage disparity among the veterans. Something that the NFLPA now has to try and resolve. 

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Safety market is popping compared to last year. 

I never understand what the Chiefs do financially.  They have to be one of the worst in the NFL (along with Washington) at managing their cap, because they are going to have to cut him in 2 years because they'll have to pay Chris Jones...and Mahomes a year later.

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Jets cut Lee, he’d be a guy I’d be interested in to replace Barr. 

He was actually one of the guys I would have considered drafting if he had fallen to the Vikings pick the year they drafted Treadwell.  

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

He was actually one of the guys I would have considered drafting if he had fallen to the Vikings pick the year they drafted Treadwell.  

I remember joking with a friend about spreading rumors so he'd fall lol.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

He’s right, you know

Still some decent OL help out there if they go that route. Hopefully Easton can come back cheap. But the OL must be built through th draft. We've spent too many FA dollars on it over the years.

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Still some decent OL help out there if they go that route. Hopefully Easton can come back cheap. But the OL must be built through th draft. We've spent too many FA dollars on it over the years.

They have one guy on the OL that looks good right now that they drafted.....the others look mediocre at best. I'm not sure they know how to pick OL, in FA or the draft.

It's hard to do it in the draft if you pass in round 1 every year, and most years in round 2.......

You can all keep saying the prices are too high, but apparently the market disagrees....

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

They have one guy on the OL that looks good right now that they drafted.....the others look mediocre at best. I'm not sure they know how to pick OL, in FA or the draft.

It's hard to do it in the draft if you pass in round 1 every year, and most years in round 2.......

You can all keep saying the prices are too high, but apparently the market disagrees....

The thing is if we truly think that Spielman isn't capable of drafting or signing good OL, why are people wanting him to spend big money and high draft picks on OL? 

11 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

The thing is if we truly think that Spielman isn't capable of drafting or signing good OL, why are people wanting him to spend big money and high draft picks on OL? 

Because they need 5 of them.......and they won't, imo, win anything w/o at least a decent OL. You can't just give up, and not have an OL. 

14 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

They've already failed to build an OL through free agency. Boone, Reiff, Remmers. They have to hit those draft picks at the end of the day.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

They've already failed to build an OL through free agency. Boone, Reiff, Remmers. They have to hit those draft picks at the end of the day.

Maybe if they invest serious draft capital it will work out better than it has so far. If not, well, they just won't win anything meaningful, imo.

9 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Maybe if they invest serious draft capital it will work out better than it has so far. If not, well, they just won't win anything meaningful, imo.

Outside of DL help, I'm not sure what other position will require early draft capital this year. Move a CB and you'll get more of it.

Archived