Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

Cap structuring is not hard if you are not intimidated by it.  The hardest part of a GM is managing people and selling people on your vision.  Thankfully that is Gruden's thing and Mayock is good at managing people.  When you watch the draft he controls the panel without saying much.  He does not need to interrupt or raise his voice to get his point across.  He knows eventually they will look his way when they need the experts opinion or their opinion validated.  I really respect managers that are that way and they tend to be very successful and do not need to be right every time to be respected.  People can't wait to rip Mel Kyper but Mayock you look at him and focus on what he has done right.  If he can bring that to the team I think he will be very successful dealing with free agents and trading with other teams.  Good cop bad cop with him and Gruden.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is a very untrue statement. But thankfully we still have all the guys on staff that handled the cap stuff anyways.

It really is not.  Evaluating a players worth and getting them to sign for less than you believe their value is the hard part.  The other major sports cap management is much more complicated than the NFL.  Once you have a philosophy and a goal the cap structure is pretty straight forward.  There were more than a few of us here that knew what McKenzie had to do, how to do it, and applauded him for doing it.  It was not hard.  Having a plan and sticking to it was more difficult.

• Like 1

This lucky duck.  I mean he had a gravy job that meant very little.  Probably paid well but he's in NY I presume.  What a pit.  Maybe only answers to himself though everyone at the network has an opinion on the prospects.  Now he gets to work for the RAIDERS.  Mingle with the best fans in the league.  Oh yes!!!  He'll be stationed in Vegas baby with a new stadium...…….and no state income tax. 

I'm sorry, I'm excited.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

It really is not.  Evaluating a players worth and getting them to sign for less than you believe their value is the hard part.  The other major sports cap management is much more complicated than the NFL.  Once you have a philosophy and a goal the cap structure is pretty straight forward.  There were more than a few of us here that knew what McKenzie had to do, how to do it, and applauded him for doing it.  It was not hard.  Having a plan and sticking to it was more difficult.

Just because it isn't hard for you, (though I still believe you don't know the half of what goes into it) doesn't mean it isn't a difficult process or task overall.