Sign in to follow this  
RaidersAreOne

Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

Cap structuring is not hard if you are not intimidated by it.  The hardest part of a GM is managing people and selling people on your vision.  Thankfully that is Gruden's thing and Mayock is good at managing people.  When you watch the draft he controls the panel without saying much.  He does not need to interrupt or raise his voice to get his point across.  He knows eventually they will look his way when they need the experts opinion or their opinion validated.  I really respect managers that are that way and they tend to be very successful and do not need to be right every time to be respected.  People can't wait to rip Mel Kyper but Mayock you look at him and focus on what he has done right.  If he can bring that to the team I think he will be very successful dealing with free agents and trading with other teams.  Good cop bad cop with him and Gruden.

I also have one request if we are going to hire more TV guys.  Can we get Romo in as a QB coach and groom him for our OC.

14 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Cap structuring is not hard if you are not intimidated by it. 

That is a very untrue statement. But thankfully we still have all the guys on staff that handled the cap stuff anyways.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is a very untrue statement. But thankfully we still have all the guys on staff that handled the cap stuff anyways.

It really is not.  Evaluating a players worth and getting them to sign for less than you believe their value is the hard part.  The other major sports cap management is much more complicated than the NFL.  Once you have a philosophy and a goal the cap structure is pretty straight forward.  There were more than a few of us here that knew what McKenzie had to do, how to do it, and applauded him for doing it.  It was not hard.  Having a plan and sticking to it was more difficult.

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I also have one request if we are going to hire more TV guys.  Can we get Romo in as a QB coach and groom him for our OC.

Are you kidding? We just took one of the only remaining sufferable NFL TV personalities. We can't deprive the world of Romo.

14 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

First order of business sign Frank Clark or Trey Flowers and draft Quinnen Williams!

Doubtful Clark hits the FA market. Seattle locks up their young studs. Flowers, toss up given NE's way of doing business. 

22 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Doubtful Clark hits the FA market. Seattle locks up their young studs. Flowers, toss up given NE's way of doing business. 

Agree there's also Graham and Clowney. Lawrence I suspect will be locked up for sure

33 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Are you kidding? We just took one of the only remaining sufferable NFL TV personalities. We can't deprive the world of Romo.

What can I say I am greedy.

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

Lol

Could work since he knows the draft well, but most probably he is a yes man and we are screwed...

Rolni:  Shame.  Pessimism.  Let's not go south on this at this stage.  What a draft we have to look forward to.

This lucky duck.  I mean he had a gravy job that meant very little.  Probably paid well but he's in NY I presume.  What a pit.  Maybe only answers to himself though everyone at the network has an opinion on the prospects.  Now he gets to work for the RAIDERS.  Mingle with the best fans in the league.  Oh yes!!!  He'll be stationed in Vegas baby with a new stadium...…….and no state income tax. 

I'm sorry, I'm excited.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

It really is not.  Evaluating a players worth and getting them to sign for less than you believe their value is the hard part.  The other major sports cap management is much more complicated than the NFL.  Once you have a philosophy and a goal the cap structure is pretty straight forward.  There were more than a few of us here that knew what McKenzie had to do, how to do it, and applauded him for doing it.  It was not hard.  Having a plan and sticking to it was more difficult.

Just because it isn't hard for you, (though I still believe you don't know the half of what goes into it) doesn't mean it isn't a difficult process or task overall.

The first time he was brought up, a few years ago, I wasn't too jazzed at the idea. This time around with his familiarity with Gruden and the things he'll have to work with, I feel much better about it.

Press conference happening now. Mayock wouldn't say Carr is the QB. Sounds like he's going to be very hands on