Raiders hire Mike Mayock as GM

RaidersAreOne

I think there will be less trade downs.  When we do trade down we will be receiving insane value if/when we do compared to past years.  I think we are going to sit tight and go BPA 99% of the time.  I also think M. Mayock is going to have a lot more say in the draft than people currently believe.  J. Gruden can't draft.  Pretty sure J. Gruden knows that by now.  That's why he brought M. Mayock in.

37 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I honestly don’t think that Mayock was a Gruden hire. I feel like Gruden would have hired a guy who’s been in the league not a guy who’s holding is first ever front office job. I think Mark wanted a name. 

Gruden and Mayock go way back. I think it was both Gruden and Davis with this hire

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/03/how-well-has-raiders-gm-mike-mayock-done-at-evaluating-quarterbacks/

While we have all offseason to run through the tape and his draft boards, this piece is going to be a little less comprehensive. Instead, this simply a list of Mayock’s “top” quarterbacks for each draft since 2006. Here is the full list via the NFL.com archives:

1. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt
2. Matt Leinart, USC
3. Vince Young, Texas
4. Charlie Whitehurst, Clemson
5. Brodie Croyle, Alabama
6. Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama State

1. JaMarcus Russell, LSU
2. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
3. Drew Stanton, Michigan State
4. John Beck, BYU
5. Trent Edwards, Stanford

1. Matt Ryan, Boston College
2. Joe Flacco. Delaware
3. Chad Henne, Michigan
4. Brian Brohm, Louisville
5. John David Booty, USC

1. Mark Sanchez, USC
2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia
3. Josh Freeman, Kansas State
4. Pat White, West Virginia
5. Stephen McGee, Texas A&M

1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
2. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
3.Tim Tebow, Florida
4.Colt McCoy, Texas
5. John Skelton, Fordham

1. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
2. Jake Locker, Washington
3. Cam Newton, Auburn
4. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
5. Christian Ponder, Florida State

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford
2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor
3. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
4. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
5. Kirk Cousins, Michigan State

1. Geno Smith, West Virginia
2. Matt Barkley, USC
3. Mike Glennon, N.C. State
4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

1. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
2. Blake Bortles, Central Florida
3. Derek Carr, Fresno State
4. Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois
T-5. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
T-5. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

1. Marcus Mariota, Oregon
2. Jameis Winston, Florida State
3. Bryce Petty, Baylor
4. Brett Hundley, UCLA
5. Sean Mannion, Oregon State

1. Carson Wentz, North Dakota State
2. Jared Goff, California
3. Paxton Lynch, Memphis
4. Connor Cook, Michigan State
5. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State

1. Deshaun Watson, Clemson
2. Mitchell Trubisky, North Carolina
3. Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech
4. DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame
5. Davis Webb, California

1. Sam Darnold, USC
2. Josh Allen, Wyoming
3. Josh Rosen, UCLA
4. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
5. Lamar Jackson, Louisville

For the most part, Mayock has done a good job of identifying the top talent in each class. There are some years in which he has struggled (2011 in particular), but it’s not all that awful. Excluding the 2017 and 2018 draft, I would argue that Mayock found the top quarterback in the class 7 out of 11 times. That is a pretty impressive hit rate. That is better than what most of the teams do across the NFL.

Interesting read. I really have no clue where we stand with Carr. He looked so solid the second halfish of the year sans the brutal one in the finale. I doubt we go QB early but IF we do, what are your thoughts given Mayock's history?

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He sucked in Indy but has held a consultant job with Seattle this season iirc. Would probably be only admin stuff and not actual player/draft control.

I like the move. I don't think he sucked in his tenure as Colts gm. Without going into deep dive on his drafts and a huge back and forth, he won with Luck and lost without him. Even lost is a strong word as he went 8-8 the last two years when Luck was dealing with injures but had 3 straight years of 11-5 with Luck before that.

But like you said, I think he will be in  an admin role. Probably Vice President of Football Operations or Director of Football Administration.

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

I like the move. I don't think he sucked in his tenure as Colts gm. Without going into deep dive on his drafts and a huge back and forth, he won with Luck and lost without him. Even lost is a strong word as he went 8-8 the last two years when Luck was dealing with injures but had 3 straight years of 11-5 with Luck before that.

But like you said, I think he will be in  an admin role. Probably Vice President of Football Operations or Director of Football Administration.

Trading a first for Trent Richardson will forever make me think he sucks haha.

13 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Interesting read. I really have no clue where we stand with Carr. He looked so solid the second halfish of the year sans the brutal one in the finale. I doubt we go QB early but IF we do, what are your thoughts given Mayock's history?

Pretty solid overall, save 2011 with Cam. Found some quotes from Mayock:

On Cam:

• “What it really comes down to … is football IQ and work ethic. And if he wants to be the best quarterback in the game, I’m all in. I love it. “But something tells me that he’ll be content to be a multi-millionaire who’s pretty good. And that doesn’t get it done for me.”

Can't disagree... Cam has been content to be "pretty good" in his career. There was a lot of question marks on him being a hard worker, came off smug in interviews, etc. 

On Russell:

• …But I would also (offer) one cautionary note, and that is the best Pro Day for a quarterback I ever attended was JaMarcus Russell. That same day, even though I admitted it was the best Pro Day I ever saw, I also said I wouldn’t take (Russell) in the first round.”

There is a lot of context missing. He had to rank them for his job, but that doesn't take into consideration his feelings for each or where he ranked their stock. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Former GM, meaning he knows the ins and outs of the job to assist Mayock on what he doesn't know. Smart in that regard. 

Grigson's biggest blunder was that Trent Richardson trade.