Dress Rehearsal - Preseason week 3 at Detroit

Deadpulse

Image result for patriots vs lions preseason

Its dress rehearsal baby! Some key things to look out for:

The RB situation - for the first time, we are likely to see all the horses in this stable out there with Gllislee returning to practice this week. What roles can we expect in this regular season preview?

Donta Hightower - How does his return affect the defense? what kind of combinations might we see? With the lack of pass rush DE's healthy, could we see more blitzes from D-High, could we see some 4 LB sets to get some of those guys on the edge?

Brandon Cook - in what should be our longest look at him, how is he going to factor into the offense?

Cyrus Jones - is the bama boy going to build on a decent showing last week @I_GET_SAX?

What do the rest of you think? @dhunt2402 @Starless @1ForTheThumb @atmer @Pats#1 @PatriotsWin! @TomRalph @tonyto36 @Hunter2_1 @Iron_man @LD696 @iothar @ChazStandard @biggbrd @Troy Brown @nextsuperstar1

6 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Also would be nice to see the Patriots go 4/5WR and see how that looks with Hogan/Cooks/Mitchell/Edelman + White/Burkhead/Amendola

I dont see them doing that much during the regular season with Gronk all systems go and good things coming out of camp with Dwayne. It would be silly not to have at least one of them on the field, especially with a 40 year old goat, the extra blocking is nice. 

The RB situation - I don't really know what to expect from Gil, I admit, I don't know much about him. Carries were pretty evenly spread Lewis, Bolden, Burkhead and Foster. Hoping to see more of the rest, plus a bit more Burkead. I didn't realise Foster had that speed? 

Donta Hightower - Expecting limited snaps, to be honest. Very limited. His return will shore up the run defence, and I wonder if Matty P will refuse to foreshadow his role this year. To be specific, I think with the addition of Harris, we will see more of Boomtower out wide and in pass rush in general. I'm going to say we see little of that this weekend.

Brandin Cooks - Yes, use him! Really stretch the defence and see what he's got over the middle for us.

Cyrus Jones - Hopefully builds more confidence, yes.

I'd like to see Trey Flowers skip all preseason games. He's to valuable to this team.

Besides that, I'd really hope to see someone step-up on the DE position. I don't expect anyone to shine or something,  just average will do as I think that the secondary can buy them enough time to get to the passer.

On the offense side, I just want a show. Simple as that!

2 hours ago, iothar said:

Just got back from a business trip, haven't had any time to read anything. Did we do any walk throughs with Detroit? I think we just left for Detroit last night.

They had planned to, but they got cancelled for some reason. Im not sure why, theres an article about it somewhere...

“We were trying to make it work where it was a situation we could get it just like we do our Saturday morning walkthroughs but the classification of it once it becomes a joint practice is totally different,” Lions coach Jim Caldwell said. “So that was more the issue than anything else.”

Horrible choice of diagram format. A column chart would've made much more sense. These discrete data points cannot just be connected with some interpolated lines, that just creates a lot of misinformation (data between seasons, wtf?; teams having fraction wins/losses and peaking/bottoming between seasons). This is hardly useful for anything but comedic purposes.

Sorry, my engineer brain couldn't take this.

13 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/8/22/16181334/chart-party-history-of-nfl

Stumbled on these the other day - the Pats graph is very satisfying:

patriots.png

And their Jets annotations made me laugh:

jets.png

Haha loved the story on the Falcons graph.

How many seasons do you think we'll go with 12+ wins?

I'm definitely excited to see the O play. I'm really hoping the D looks better with Hightower, Flowers, McLellin etc. It has seemed pretty miserable thus far...

Archived